Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. thread
Moment that got the biggest chuckle from me:

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

Steam ID: iammrsaxon / Blizzard ID: MrSaxon#2283 / Xbox ID: MR SAX0N
Man, Shasta McNasty has gotten old.
Quote:"I declare this chestburster an OUTLAAAAAAWW!"
I like that one of his aliases was Marion Cobretti.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
Quote:Do we have any indications on whether or not Deke was in the present in previous time loops? My suspicion is that he may be the new ‘element’ that leads to them breaking the cycle.
The rings maybe? But clearly they could have gotten them by themselves the first time. Only thing I can think of
AIt's just tits and dragons. - Ian McShane on Game of Thones
I forgot I had a few episodes on the DVR, but I'm caught up now.

Deke's first reactions to the present, along with getting smashed on Zima, where priceless. As was his small talk with Dethlock at Fitz Simmons wedding. I'm glad they didn't drag out Deke finding out Fitz Simmons are his grandparents.

"Are you real?"
"Would that make this any less awkward?"
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

All I know is Ward is smiling down somewhere in space.
HOLY FUCK.

(SPOILERS FOR THIS WEEK'S EPISODE AHEAD. DO NOT KEEP READING UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN IT!)

Well done, AoS. You COMPLETELY pulled the wool over my eyes and I honestly believed that The Doctor from The Framework had returned as an apparition. When Simmons confronted him with Daisy lying on that table, and the camera swung around to reveal it had been Fitz all along, I was completely shocked. 

Gotta applaud the show for taking a fan favorite and having him go this far to the dark side. It's what Buffy and its spin-off used to be really good at doing, so I guess it's no surprise, but it's been a while since I've seen a network show prepared to take the more risky path.

Also: Deke's starting to grow on me. I really liked his speech early in the episode where he told them both to take care of themselves. "I just don't want anything to happen to you.... to your brains because they're so smart!"

"If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists" -  The Manic Street Preachers

SIMILARLY SPOILERY POST, BURN YOUR COMPUTER AFTER READING

Deke grew on me in a hurry, too.  It's remarkable how completely different this character's context is from the day he was introduced, and it was just a half a season of TV ago.

The return of some of the shows' favorite villains from past seasons has obviously been a thing since the show returned to present day Earth, but I didn't expect Hale's Hydra supervisor handing her a vial of the Kree berserker suicide poison.  I thought the show had strongly suggested that Hydra was merely the Inhuman Hive's personality cult at its origin, but there's a whole big rabbit hole of "just how far back does the Kree's involvement in Hydra go" (that I hope the rest of the season only hints at, instead of exploring in depth).

As hilarious as Jemma puking was, the dramatic stakes are about to get even higher if that was morning sickness.
It was definitely morning sickness. It was meant as a double entendre to reacting to Deke. He hasn't vanished from existence yet, so Jemma is definitely preggo. The question is, if they change the future, will this Deke morph to reflect happier times, or will he cease to exist?

He's totally going to "die".
Git' in under mah belly!
(03-24-2018, 05:42 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: It was definitely morning sickness. It was meant as a double entendre to reacting to Deke. He hasn't vanished from existence yet, so Jemma is definitely preggo. The question is, if they change the future, will this Deke morph to reflect happier times, or will he cease to exist?

The burning question being, was it Fitz or was Herr Doktor Fitz in the driving seat doing what needs to be done.
Holy shit did this show get dark! I've seen things more disturbing than Skye getting her implant removed, but not on network TV. The Doctor just being Fitz's darker impulses was a well done twist. I do like that it was foreshadowed by Skye asking who he was talking to.

I do like the more wide eyed innocent version of Deke. It works because after living in a screwed up future he would react to everything with a sense of wonder; even Twinkies.
I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Half and half. It's why Deke is a such a loveable, punchable jerk. He has two dads.
Git' in under mah belly!
(03-24-2018, 05:42 PM)cd underbelly Wrote: It was definitely morning sickness. It was meant as a double entendre to reacting to Deke. He hasn't vanished from existence yet, so Jemma is definitely preggo. The question is, if they change the future, will this Deke morph to reflect happier times, or will he cease to exist?

I assume Deke either stays in the present as an escapee from what is now an alternate timeline when the team succeeds in preventing the destruction of the Earth, or he goes out heroically to make the difference and save the Earth.  He was already instrumental in figuring out where the ship carrying the batch of gravitonium had gone, so causing him to disappear as his history is unwritten would already create Terminator 2 paradoxes.
Time paradox? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaake!?
Git' in under mah belly!
That was a well done reveal and I honestly don't know what's going on with the Confederacy/HYDRA deal but I love it.

Renew this show ABC/Disney! Nobody wants to see the new Roseanne!
Originally Posted by ImmortanNick 

Saw Batman v Superman.
Now I know what it's like to see Nickelback in concert.

That's my review.
Somebody in the AV Club comments pointed out that Kasius described his father's group of Kree as a Confederacy, so The Confederacy is definitely them.

I'd bet on Hive having successfully brainwashed a handful of Kree before being sent to the prison planet, and those Kree were the ones who founded Hydra.
(03-24-2018, 06:49 PM)chaz Wrote: Holy shit did this show get dark! I've seen things more disturbing than Skye getting her implant removed, but not on network TV. The Doctor just being Fitz's darker impulses was a well done twist. I do like that it was foreshadowed by Skye asking who he was talking to.

The stringy things he was holding up connected to the implant (nerves?) was cartoonish but I loved it. I don't think any other show curently on TV has reinvented itself more during its run, yet it's worked almost every time.
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
The first half was nothing special, but I did like everything that dealt with the fallout of what Fitz did to Daisy. He wasn't wrong to remind Daisy of all the times she turned on them. I did like Fitz's turn from melancholy to annoyed when he found out Deke was his grandson.

Last week May's line about Russians meddling in out democracy didn't make sense in the context of the show. Of course I know it was a verbal jab at Trump, but it doesn't make sense since Trump isn't POTUS in the MCU. However Daisy's wondering why we are still dealing with Nazis works both as a bit of social commentary and is referencing the current story line.
I liked the structural trick of starting each act in the same place at progressively later time periods, charting the decline of Hydra. There haven't been a lot of episodes recently that stand on their own.
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
SPOILERY DISCUSSION OF LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE FOLLOWS, USE OF PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR STRONGLY ADVISED

***********************************************************************************

Man, there was a lot of impending doom packed into this episode.  Robin is coming to the Lighthouse, fulfilling the future we've seen.  Daisy is out on a mission, with Ruby hunting her.  Jemma now thinks she's invincible, when we've seen the aftermath of her death already.  Talbot is a broken man.  And in all of this, what strikes me most is how tightly plotted this season seems as one long arc.  I got such a satisfying feeling of the pieces coming together when the reveal was made that it was Hale who offered the Inhuman slavery program to the Kree.

It was delightful to see Talbot and his underrated wife again, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Enoch when Daisy finds Robin.  I can't believe there are people with otherwise good taste allowing themselves to miss out on this show.
Pasdar really has made Talbot his own over the years and this episode really let him shine. That "Calamari Mata Hari" line just destroyed me.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Also "Squidbillies."
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."--Steve McQueen
He's so gloriously over the top with those lines and it never once doesn't work like a charm. Amazing.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
Oh and his bit with the box of Cap'n Crunch was so perfect too.

Saw Batman v Superman.

That's my review.
Also loved Coulson's "I buried him. Go Team!"
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
(03-31-2018, 03:56 PM)Reasor Wrote: It was delightful to see Talbot and his underrated wife again, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Enoch when Daisy finds Robin. 

Isn't Enoch waiting out with Fitz in cryosleep in the ship at this point?
I can't stand to see myself go through the motions, that bring me back into these same old sad emotions.
Yeah, but I thought he was looking after Robin while he waited. If he's not keeping an eye on her, somebody ought to be.
Boy, does this week's episode ever highlight why Coulson matters.  He's having the odd moment of triumph, with the rescue of Talbot and turning Creel against Hale, while the rest of the team is cracking up and breaking trust left and right without him.  

Marius Maronilla at MovieTVTechGeeks is claiming to have heard from three sources at ABC that the show is getting renewed for a sixth season.  The official word from ABC is neither a confirmation nor a denial, but a simple "we haven't announced pick-ups yet."
That scene with Simmons and the four beakers was the highlight for me. I really hope this gets picked up.
Add me to those who want a sixth season. I worried that last season was so good that the show might have hit its peak, but I've enjoyed almost everything they've done this year. Hell, even Deke has become one of my favorite characters on the show. God knows where they'll go next now that time-travel, space, and VR simulations have been crossed off the list.

Bit disappointed we got teased with Graviton, but he never made an appearance. Maybe next episode?

"You die more than anyone else I know!"
(04-07-2018, 06:09 PM)MrSaxon Wrote: Bit disappointed we got teased with Graviton, but he never made an appearance. Maybe next episode?

Some variant of the idea, before it's over, I'm certain.  The flashback scene at the end looked like it was the answer to the question of "who are the two voices that Creel hears, arguing inside the gravitonium?"
(04-07-2018, 06:25 PM)Reasor Wrote:
(04-07-2018, 06:09 PM)MrSaxon Wrote: Bit disappointed we got teased with Graviton, but he never made an appearance. Maybe next episode?

Some variant of the idea, before it's over, I'm certain.  The flashback scene at the end looked like it was the answer to the question of "who are the two voices that Creel hears, arguing inside the gravitonium?"

Speaking of which, did they really get Ruth Neega back for such an incredibly minor cameo? Or was that a re-used scene that I’m just not remembering. Hopefully if they brought her back we’re getting more of her going forward. One of the bigger disappointments so far is that she was gone before the quality of the show really picked up.
Ruth's character on "Preacher" was killed off, so presumably she'd have time before her next large gig. 

The way that her character on Agents went out looked pretty final, but one never knows.  She's another fortune teller, which could be redundant or really interesting, depending on how and if she were to interact with Robin.  It'd also be pretty funny for Hale to turn out to have a seer in her pocket, after the tease about the Kree's seer turned out to be a Elena's future self.  I'd mostly be glad just to see the Ruth Negga on TV again.
Seriously? They killed off Tulip in "Preacher"?