Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Godzilla 2014 Pre-release Discussion
#71
AThe scale of Gorjira on the official version is off the wall nuts. Godzilla's as big as a mountain. Thousands of feet tall. I hope he's that big in the movie, but somehow I doubt it.

Don't really care for that tail though. Oddly segmented at the end, not particularly iguana like. 

I like the comicon poster better, it's simplicity, the stark horror of the scene depicted and the colors used. I wouldn't put it on my wall though, it's sort of a downer.
Reply
#72
A[quote name="Dr Harford" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/50#post_3547980"]I wouldn't put it on my wall though, it's sort of a downer.[/quote]

I know what you mean. Preliminarily it looks like this is shooting for the original metaphor, but I will always love Godzilla as both destroyer and unwitting protector. Because, shit, if you're part of the times, why not put your faith in a giant, capricious-god-lizard?
Reply
#73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post

The scale of Gorjira on the official version is off the wall nuts. Godzilla's as big as a mountain. Thousands of feet tall.

Strange. As a person who's completely missed out on the kaiju genre, that's curious. Because according to the wiki entry, it's supposed to be between 160 and 330 feet (as opposed to thousands of feet). So... as big as a small hill?

Quote (from the wikipedia entry, citations removed):
Its size is inconsistent, changing from film to film and even from scene to scene for the sake of artistic license. The miniature sets and costumes are typically built at a 1/25 - 1/50 scale and filmed at 240 frames per second, to create the illusion of great size. Supplementary information such as character profiles depict Godzilla as being 50–100 meters (164–328 feet) tall and weighing 20-60,000 tons.

And I wonder what the plot of the film is going to be. Is this going to be more Armageddon-ish, in the sense that the focus is going to be on the authorities trying to deal with Godzilla? Or is this going to be more along the lines of Monsters/Deep Impact, where the giant lizard is an inevitable force of nature and the focus is human drama set against the backdrop of a Godzilla invasion?

Reply
#74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Vampiris View Post

Or is this going to be more along the lines of Monsters/Deep Impact, where the giant lizard is an inevitable force of nature and the focus is human drama set against the backdrop of a Godzilla invasion?

If they're smart, this one.

Reply
#75

Last year I started a Godzilla marathon, watching the movies in chronological release date, which I seem to have forgotten about, and need to continue. The last one I saw was Ghidorah Three-Headed Monster, which seems to be the first instance of Godzilla being a force for good. It's a fan favourite, no doubt due to Godzilla having a personality, which the Emmerich one lacked, being that it was just a glorified dinosaur.

So basically I'm hoping the new one has a personality too, because it's tiring watching emotionless beasts wreck everything in their path. Seeing something that huge do it with feeling would be that much more thrilling. The question is, what kind of emotion? Glee? Evil enthusiasm? Righteous anger? Who is the new Godzilla gonna be? The original was essentially a manifestation of USA's nukes terrorising Japan. The American remake has to go in another direction thematically and be about something other than a monster going nuts, otherwise it'll end up shallow nonsense like Emmerich's. Will it still have a nuclear origin? What could be explored with that in a modern context?

Do we have any ideas how Edwards is approaching the icon?

Reply
#76
A[quote name="cognizant" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/60#post_3548209"]Last year I started a Godzilla marathon, watching the movies in chronological release date, which I seem to have forgotten about, and need to continue. The last one I saw was Ghidorah Three-Headed Monster, which seems to be the first instance of Godzilla being a force for good. It's a fan favourite, no doubt due to Godzilla having a personality, which the Emmerich one lacked, being that it was just a glorified dinosaur.

So basically I'm hoping the new one has a personality too, because it's tiring watching emotionless beasts wreck everything in their path. Seeing something that huge do it with feeling would be that much more thrilling. The question is, what kind of emotion? Glee? Evil enthusiasm? Righteous anger? Who is the new Godzilla gonna be? The original was essentially a manifestation of USA's nukes terrorising Japan. The American remake has to go in another direction thematically and be about something other than a monster going nuts, otherwise it'll end up shallow nonsense like Emmerich's. Will it still have a nuclear origin? What could be explored with that in a modern context?

Do we have any ideas how Edwards is approaching the icon?
[/quote]

I think with the recent Fukishoa nuclear meltdown you can really play into the fear of the dangers of nuclear energy and the absolute devestation it could do on society. Look at also the meltdowns recently in Washington State and years ago in The Ukraine in Chernobyl and how it's still hazardous. I feel that has to be subtext for this film. The original was the fear of the bomb, this one should be the fear of nuclear energy in general. This Godzilla should be the unintended consequences for doing something to benefit humanity. I feel that's a very interesting story.
Reply
#77
AFrom what I've read, the plot details haven't exactly been revealed, but the words "grounded" and "realistic" are being thrown around, so I assume the tone will be similar to Monsters. Also, it's apparently about what would happen if Godzilla suddenly appeared in our world today - I don't know if it will be a rampaging monster though.

Personally, I'm looking for a sense of wonder. Something colossal rises from the sea and causes palpable excitement everywhere. Helicopters track the creature, media outlets run wild, the authorities are confused, because it's just waddling through the sea. That is, until it gets to land. I don't know if that's how it's going to be played though. From the stills of the face, the monster appears to be intelligent too.

Also I don't think Edwards is going to make the metaphor explicit. His Monsters didn't exactly stand for anything specific. It's science fiction without a particular need for an on-the-nose analogy.
Reply
#78
AI'd rather they not tie Godzilla's origin to any specific event.
Reply
#79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Vampiris View Post

From what I've read, the plot details haven't exactly been revealed, but the words "grounded" and "realistic" are being thrown around, so I assume the tone will be similar to Monsters. Also, it's apparently about what would happen if Godzilla suddenly appeared in our world today - I don't know if it will be a rampaging monster though.

Hmm, that's making me think of Man of Steel, which unfortunately was lacking in the 'awe' department, hellbent it was on being 'grounded'. I hope this Godzilla isn't too serious and dour, we need moments that make us chuckle in disbelief at the crazy shit going on.

More than anything though, I want humans to be completely irrelevant to the monster, just swatted away like gnats. The problem with recent films like Transformers, Man of Steel, etc, is the attempt to get the military involved and give a helping hand, however minimal. I don't want that. I want humans to be utterly useless and insignificant, just constantly being displaced and dispersed in Godzilla's wake. Of course the film's going to need a 'human element', which is fine, but I just don't know how they're going to go about it without giving the humans some semblance of power and control, which is exactly what I don't want. It's a very tough balance.

Perhaps having two stories running parallel could work, with Godzilla doing his thing in one plotline, and in the other you've got humans contending with each other in some way. Much like in Titanic where Leo is being chased around by Billy Zane with the actual tragedy of the sinking almost an afterthought for the pair because they were so caught up in the chase. So in this hypothetical Godzilla, while the monster is battling his alien nemesis causing mayhem, down below a human character is also having a battle of sorts with his human nemesis, and they both tie in some way thematically.

Maybe I should just write it. Big Grin

Reply
#80
A[quote name="cognizant" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/60#post_3548256"]
Hmm, that's making me think of Man of Steel, which unfortunately was lacking in the 'awe' department, hellbent it was on being 'grounded'. I hope this Godzilla isn't too serious and dour, we need moments that make us chuckle in disbelief at the crazy shit going on.

More than anything though, I want humans to be completely irrelevant to the monster, just swatted away like gnats. The problem with recent films like Transformers, Man of Steel, etc, is the attempt to get the military involved and give a helping hand, however minimal. I don't want that. I want humans to be utterly useless and insignificant, just constantly being displaced and dispersed in Godzilla's wake. Of course the film's going to need a 'human element', which is fine, but I just don't know how they're going to go about it without giving the humans some semblance of power and control, which is exactly what I don't want. It's a very tough balance.

Perhaps having two stories running parallel could work, with Godzilla doing his thing in one plotline, and in the other you've got humans contending with each other in some way. Much like in Titanic where Leo is being chased around by Billy Zane with the actual tragedy of the sinking almost an afterthought for the pair because they were so caught up in the chase. So in this hypothetical Godzilla, while the monster is battling his alien nemesis causing mayhem, down below a human character is also having a battle of sorts with his human nemesis, and they both tie in some way thematically.

Maybe I should just write it. Big Grin
[/quote]

Change the human nemesis to love interest and that's kind of the plot in Monsters.

Also, and I hate to bring up MoS again, I'd argue that the idea of first contact was sound in the film. In fact, I think the first contact bits were the best sequences in the film. It was the rest of the script that was all over the place.
Reply
#81
AIt occurs to me that Godzilla has been out of the public consciousness for a while. No marathons on cable, no late night movies on low rent channels, no Japanese series to pop up with a new installment every few years. Then the awful specter of 1998 hanging over the property.

This is going to bomb big-time.
Reply
#82
A[quote name="Benjy" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/50#post_3547989"]
I know what you mean. Preliminarily it looks like this is shooting for the original metaphor, but I will always love Godzilla as both destroyer and unwitting protector. Because, shit, if you're part of the times, why not put your faith in a giant, capricious-god-lizard?[/quote]

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.chud.com/community/content/type/61/id/159654/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]


[quote name="Turingmachine75" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/50#post_3548246"]I'd rather they not tie Godzilla's origin to any specific event.[/quote]Symbols don't need to have their meaning spelled out; that's their power. I agree that spelling out what Godzilla symbolizes would be weak writing.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
Reply
#83

So, I was trying to glean a sense of scale from the posters and the still images. I'm not sure what helicopter models we're seeing on the posters, but I reckon each of those helicopters are around 12 feet tall. Which means, each of the ridges/spines along Godzilla's tail must be around 12 feet long - implying that Godzilla's tail alone would be over 300 feet long, judging by the picture. Now, a typical T-Rex's body (legs not included) is nearly as long as its tail... but Godzilla is no mere dinosaur. Which means, Godzilla must stand well over 500 feet tall! That's what... half the size of the Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world)? Impressive scale. Way bigger than what this chart indicates. Maybe even the largest terrestrial movie monster ever? (Terrestrial, because just off the top of my head, the exogorths in Star Wars apparently grow to sizes of well over 2500 feet). 

Reply
#84
AExogorths?
Reply
#85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Exogorths?

Reply
#86
AOh, of course.

@_@
Reply
#87
A[quote name="Aurora Vampiris" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/50#post_3548343"]So, I was trying to glean a sense of scale from the posters and the still images. I'm not sure what helicopter models we're seeing on the posters, but I reckon each of those helicopters are around 12 feet tall. Which means, each of the ridges/spines along Godzilla's tail must be around 12 feet long - implying that Godzilla's tail alone would be over 300 feet long, judging by the picture. Now, a typical T-Rex's body (legs not included) is nearly as long as its tail... but Godzilla is no mere dinosaur. Which means, Godzilla must stand well over 500 feet tall! That's what... half the size of the Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world)? Impressive scale. Way bigger than what this chart indicates. Maybe even the largest terrestrial movie monster ever? (Terrestrial, because just off the top of my head, the exogorths in Star Wars apparently grow to sizes of well over 2500 feet). 




[/quote]


Godzilla is far larger than that in the poster. Again, thousands of feet tall. Those helicopters are far in the foreground, far away from the tail.
Reply
#88
A[quote name="Aurora Vampiris" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/60#post_3548347"]


[/quote]

Hahaha! George Lucas' Penis Monster! Actually thinking of it Lucas might have some serious intimacy issue there's that and the Sarlaac (aka "the vagina of doom!") the amount of guns in the first three movies and the overbearing amount of lightsaber battles in the prequels. oh and the most painful love story ever in the prequel trilogy. Boy I think Lucas has some serious Freudian issues!

Sorry way off topic but had to say something after that picture lol.
Reply
#89
AI have exogorth envy.
Reply
#90

Everyone knows Godzilla is 30 stories high.

Godzooky's maybe 15 feet.

Reply
#91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBananaGrabber View Post



This is going to bomb big-time.

LOL!  Our first B.O. prediction folks.

Reply
#92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Harford View Post


Godzilla is far larger than that in the poster. Again, thousands of feet tall. Those helicopters are far in the foreground, far away from the tail.

Dr Harford, again, where are you getting this from? Apparently, according to most sources I can find online, Godzilla has never been more than 330 feet tall. I'm genuinely curious - is there a film where he is in fact "thousands of feet tall"? I haven't really kept track of the kaiju genre.

Although, now that you mention it, it's hard to tell if the choppers are, in fact, far in the foreground or not. I'm confused now - still, I'm establishing an upper limit of 1500 feet. Although, that's ridiculously huge.

Reply
#93
AAurora, I'm speaking just about what is presented visually on the poster, not what he's been previously in other films. And you can tell the distance of the choppers to Godzilla, roughly, because of the clouds. Clouds do not look like that, at that scale, if those choppers were feet away.
Reply
#94

Actually, good point about the clouds. My bad. Damn, if he is in fact thousands of feet tall... what the hell is he made of? What are his bones made of? Adamantium? Does he have bones?

(As an aside, I love these sorts of movie-science discussions).

Reply
#95

If we are to believe these teaser images, the 'new' Godzilla is, IMO, way too big.

I am hoping that the images are just a bit of artistic license...

This topic also got me wondering....

found this a googling

Reply
#96
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

That looks more along the lines of 200 feet or so. Intredasting. That's small compared to the size estimates we were throwing around.

(If anyone thinks I'm hung up on size... you're wrong! WRONG!)

Reply
#97

We're still talking about a fictional creature here right?

Reply
#98

FICTIONAL CREATURES ARE SRS BZNZ!

Dammit, User_32, how else am I going to write my Godzilla fanfiction if I don't know the exact in-universe science of it all?

Reply
#99
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

We're still talking about a fictional creature here right?


....are we......ARE WE ???

Is there a kaiju version of the 'uncanny valley'?

Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Vampiris View Post

FICTIONAL CREATURES ARE SRS BZNZ!

Dammit, User_32, how else am I going to write my Godzilla fanfiction if I don't know the exact in-universe science of it all?

Smile

Reply

There are only a few possible storylines a new big budget Hollywood Godzilla could possibly go with:

1. Aaron Paul straddles the line between sort of feeling bad for Godzilla, while also sort of acknowledging the necessity of the Big Bad Military sort-of killing him (i.e. making him retreat or sink into the ocean until the next movie). Add or subtract Independence Day style elements to the core story, depending on how much supporting cast they want to stroke off. "Mr. President, please! He's an innocent creature! He doesn't understand that what he's doing is bad!". "Be that as it may be, Aaron Paul...be that as it may be...I'm going to have the Big Bad Military shoot him with missiles hahahaha! See if you can race against the clock to stop me!".

2.Cloverfield style survival-chase movie where Aaron Paul has to save his girlfriend, because they just got engaged at the beginning of the movie! They're getting married, you guys!

3.A global warming/financial crisis/organic food industry cautionary tale.

4. A half assed mixture of 1 and 2 that doesn't know what it really wants to do, a la Super 8.

Reply

Yo, let me lay it down for y'all.

Godzilla in the movies from 1954 to 1975 is somewhere within in the region of 50 to 55 meters tall.

In 1984 he was upgraded to 80 meters tall for Godzilla 1985 (a.k.a The Return of Godzilla), therefore in the sequel Godzilla vs. Biolantte he is the same height.

However, in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah due to some time travel machinations Godzilla was re-birthed as 100 meters tall which is to date the largest he has ever been depicted.

In Godzilla 2000 and after I believe they returned him to his original height from the showa era (1954-75)

I think this poster maybe artistic license, after all the poster for Godzilla 98 depicted his foot being the size of the skyscraper and of course this wasn't the case, as for GINO's size it ranged ludicrously e.g compare various scenes of GINO walking around town to the moment where a soldier just misses seeing GINO's eye in the tunnel.

Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

Everyone knows Godzilla is 30 stories high.

Godzooky's maybe 15 feet.

If there is a fucking Godzuki in this movie I'm going to be as sorely dissapointed\pissed off as when I just watched that youtube.

It was great right up until "and Godzuuuuukeeeeee".

Reply

All this talk of kaiju and Godzilla makes me long for a David Fincher, Steven Soderbergh or Takeshi Kitano  "Ultraman" movie.

We'd probably end up with a Tim Burton version though. Sad

Reply
A[quote name="Kyle Reese" url="/community/t/148166/godzilla-2014-pre-release-discussion/100#post_3548424"]There are only a few possible storylines a new big budget Hollywood Godzilla could possibly go with:

1. Aaron Paul straddles the line between sort of feeling bad for Godzilla, while also sort of acknowledging the necessity of the Big Bad Military sort-of killing him (i.e. making him retreat or sink into the ocean until the next movie). Add or subtract Independence Day style elements to the core story, depending on how much supporting cast they want to stroke off. "Mr. President, please! He's an innocent creature! He doesn't understand that what he's doing is bad!". "Be that as it may be, Aaron Paul...be that as it may be...I'm going to have the Big Bad Military shoot him with missiles hahahaha! See if you can race against the clock to stop me!".

2.Cloverfield style survival-chase movie where Aaron Paul has to save his girlfriend, because they just got engaged at the beginning of the movie! They're getting married, you guys!

3.A global warming/financial crisis/organic food industry cautionary tale.

4. A half assed mixture of 1 and 2 that doesn't know what it really wants to do, a la Super 8.

 
[/quote]

Aaron Paul is in this? I loved him in that syndicated Highlander show. I wonder if he kept the ponytail all these years.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)