Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
MAN OF STEEL Post-Release
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post



I think it's only to really elevate Lois Lane from the rest of the Daily Planet people. You can either see that as her being that good or Perry and others being that bad. We'll see how the sequels handle that I suppose.

I think the only people that really have connected Clark to Superman is Lois Lane and Pete Ross, and certainly others from Smallville like Lana Lang that help him keep his secret out of respect in the comics. The people at the Daily Planet have only seen Superman from a distance, so they wouldn't be able to recognize him anyway.


Except that cell phones and video cameras and the internet exist in MOS.

Reply

That's just ridiculous.  Not only is he the most interesting person on the planet, he's IMPOSSIBLY handsome and attractive on top of it.  People would recognize him.

Reply
AGood point. HOW is that ever addressed in the comics these days?
Reply

Simple. Clark uses his heat vision to cause mini-strokes in everyone he comes into contact with.

Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

I love the idea of making her smarter than everyone else.  That makes tons of sense.  But Man Of Steel is trying to be so "gritty" and "real", to have us believe that his co workers don't know who he is?  That kind of works in magical realism.  It doesn't work AT ALL within Man Of Steel.



I could be wrong, but I don't expect this to be something that lasts throughout all the movies. It wouldn't even surprise me if his identity gets revealed publicly (think of the reasoning behind why they thought Lois not knowing doesn't work, but on a larger scale), which leads to his mom getting killed. It'd serve as easy drama, give Diane an easy way out, and show the ramifications of a superhero in the real world, a la their approach to collateral damage.

Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

Bond never dresses up as a Bat though.  Nor does he deepen his voice to comical extremes because it's more realistic.






Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stockslivevan View Post


True. Bond never did dress as a bat, but he did dress as a gorilla.





and as a Clown.

Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post
 


It wouldn't even surprise me if his identity gets revealed publicly (think of the reasoning behind why they thought Lois not knowing doesn't work, but on a larger scale), which leads to his mom getting killed.



And then he meets Bruce Wayne at a therapy session for people whose parents were murdered. And they start a cult together. And then the big reveal is that Bruce Wayne is just another one of Kal-El's multiple personalities, so he has to overcome his alter-ego while (whatever is left of) Metropolis explodes in the background. Holding Lois Lane's hand, Kal-El watches as the city crumples before him and Hans Zimmer's rendition of Where's My Mind starts playing.

Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrknudsen View Post


And then he meets Bruce Wayne at a therapy session for people whose parents were murdered. And they start a cult together. And then the big reveal is that Bruce Wayne is just another one of Kal-El's multiple personalities, so he has to overcome his alter-ego while (whatever is left of) Metropolis explodes in the background. Holding Lois Lane's hand, Kal-El watches as the city crumples before him and Hans Zimmer's rendition of Where's My Mind "Can You Read My Mind?" starts playing.

Reply

MAN OF STEEL stuff I only just realised: Amy Adams' line "For some he was a guardian angel, for others a ghost who never quite fit in" sounds like something Edward D. Wood jr would've made his ladies spit out. Unless it's some kind of well-known English idiom I've never heard...

Reply

Superman is very interested in the future, because that is where he will be spending the rest of his life.

Reply

"One thing's sure. General Zod is dead, murdered, and somebody's responsible."



"Perhaps, on your way home, someone will pass you in the dark, and you will never know it... for they will be from outer space."

Reply
AWait, wait, wait. Superman was dead the whole time?
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Wait, wait, wait. Superman was dead the whole time?




Reply

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Reply

Double twist: He was a ghost the whole time! And get this, HE DIDN'T QUITE FIT IN!



Goyer > Shyamalan

Reply

Well, I am now probably the last person that frequents this site to have seen "Man of Steel". We got around to renting it and finally watched it last night. While I avoided most of the hyperbole around the internet (and in particular any threads like this one) I can't say I was going into it spoiler-free, I knew the basic plot outline, and knew about Supes killing Zod, but was going in with a pretty open mind.



Overall, I mostly liked the movie. It was a decent enough origin story while keeping some of the tropes of it, there was enough different that I didn't feel like I'd seen it before. I liked the concept of "how would people really feel about a indistructable super-being?" and I also liked the reverse of having him becoming Superman first, and then as an afterthought the whole Daily Planet thing. And it certainly was paced well enough to keep my (and my wife's) attention.



The biggest thing complaint my wife had was "why does EVERYTHING have to be grey or black and mettalic?"  It's really starting to feel like 20 years from now, that whole aesthetic will totally date movies from the early part of the century.



I personally had two complaints: Why in the world did they need to show us that scene of Jor El explaining to Kal El about the history of Krypton, in every ounce of detail. We just SAW it all 30 minutes before that. I mean, I get we had to have a scene where Kal El learns about his past, but the way that did it seemed self-indulgent for a movie that a little overlong.



Speaking of overlong my other complaint - I thought they did a great job with the super-fighting, but it just went on for too long! These guys tossing eachother around the city for 10 minutes at the end just we both said, OK, enough of this. Fortunately it only went on another couple minutes after we said it.



And making a big deal about Supes killing Zod - sorry, no geeks, the majority of people out there don't care. He killed the guy to SAVE THE F-ING PLANET. I think that's OK.



Overall, the movie wasn't great, but wasn't bad. OK with a Batman/Superman movie, though honestly I personally am getting  a bit burned out on all these Superhero movies - which is what took me so long to watch this one.

Reply

That right there is the exact reaction this movie gets out of everyone.  A shrug, an acknowledgement of the flaws, but general vague approval.



Some day, maybe you will become strong like Nooj and myself.  There may be hope for you yet.  Pointing out that the Krypton animation sequence is TOTALLY redundant after we spent 30 minutes on Kyrpton in the intro is a good point.  Dumb movie.

Reply
Asuch a good MOOBIE
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
 

That right there is the exact reaction this movie gets out of everyone.  A shrug, an acknowledgement of the flaws, but general vague approval.



Some day, maybe you will become strong like Nooj and myself.  There may be hope for you yet.  Pointing out that the Krypton animation sequence is TOTALLY redundant after we spent 30 minutes on Kyrpton in the intro is a good point.  Dumb movie.



But why would I grow stronger in opinion, it's not bad enough to hate, nor good enough to love. It's like 95 % of movies that come out. It entertains for 2.5 hours and then it is gone.



I especially can't get mad at a movie for being dumb. Almost every movie has some stupid stuff in it. The good ones you can gloss over because they are so entertaining. (The Dark Knight as an example of a movie that completely breaks down under it's own logic, but is a damn fine movie.)  Besides  - we're talking Zach Snyder here - dumb has to be part of the equation, doesn't it?  After sitting through Sucker Punch, I think this could have been much, much worse.



Some people seem to want transcendent experiences every time they enter a movie theatre / pop in a DVD and are mad when they don't. I got a fair return for what I put into it, 2.5 hours in which I was entertained to the point I never wanted to turn it off.   Should I have higher standards?  I'll probably rarely think of this movie again until 2016 and then it will mostly be trying to remember what happened in it, as it relates to BvS.

Reply
AI really don't think "makes slightly more of an impact than merely staving off boredom until the credits roll and then being essentially forgotten" is an unreasonably high standard. Arguing that people who want movies that stay with them and make a lasting emotional impact are just being picky is like arguing that Combos are so a food group you guys!
Reply
AAh glad to see Nooj and Freeman are starting to create a caste system based on movie taste.

I'll probably have sex in your Prius.
Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I really don't think "makes slightly more of an impact than merely staving off boredom until the credits roll and then being essentially forgotten" is an unreasonably high standard. Arguing that people who want movies that stay with them and make a lasting emotional impact are just being picky is like arguing that Combos are so a food group you guys!


No, I agree we all want more from a movie, but I think we can also all agree we can't expect every movie to give us that. And going into viewing this movie one year after release with tempered expectations, it gave me exactly what I expected from it. And I'm not going to get mad at it for that.



I really, really wanted to see Gravity in theaters, but I didn't get the chance via difficulties with lining up a baby sitter and the timing and all, we just never got around to it. When it came out on DVD, I had MUCH different expectations for Gravity than for MoS. And Gravity gave me that, a thrilling tense technically brilliant and entertaining movie. If I had gotten THIS experience out of THAT movie, I would've been disappointed.



But to get upset because the 58th superhero movie to come out in the last three years was good but not great? Nope.

Reply
AI use the same attitude with The Fast and Furious franchise, it entertains, but with NOS!

How many homoerrotic franchises do it with NOS?!
Reply
A[quote name="skierpete" url="/community/t/148183/man-of-steel-post-release/4700#post_3733713"]but I think we can also all agree we can't expect every movie to give us that.[/quote]
No we can't.

Seriously, that shit is like, the most basic baseline requirement for being considered not a worthless movie. Even the memorably terrible movies are more worth talking about and thinking about than something that simply enters and exits the brain in the course of a couple hours and makes essentially no other impact.
Reply

So you think every


Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

I really don't think "makes slightly more of an impact than merely staving off boredom until the credits roll and then being essentially forgotten" is an unreasonably high standard.



Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post


No we can't.

Seriously, that shit is like, the most basic baseline requirement for being considered not a worthless movie.


Well, I guess I just feel different from you. I've been watching movies with a critical eye for 30+ years (I won't count my first decade.) and if there's a single year in there in which 85 % of the movies that came out weren't at best disposable and at worst utter garbage i would be quite shocked. So what, Man of Steel is in the majority. I'm not even sure why I've devoted this much time to the argument.

Reply

And here I go continuing...I really don't get the way these movie threads live on here after a movies been released. I get going over news and being excited about something coming out. But it's out, you like it, you don't like it, if it's great you it holds a special place in your soul, but otherwise you move on.



I actually finally got around to watching MoS because I was at a party and there was this friend of a friend that we were talking comic book movies, and he was slagging off on X-Men First Class and how terrible he thinks it was (I quite liked it.) and then he started talking about how amazing Man Of Steel was, the best comic book movie in a long time. I didn't say anything but I kept thinking, "Hmmm, i heard that it wasn't that great", and so that's what finally got me to see it myself.



So - this guy thought it was the best movie of the year last year.


Several guys here think it's total shite.


I thought it was pretty good and liked it, but it didn't change my life.



It's just my opinion, CommodoreJohn or Freeman going off on how dumb it was isn't going to change my mind. That other guy telling me how awesome it is also wouldn't change my mind.



What's the whole point of it. We've now formed our opinions.  I'm not suddenly going to say "Gee your right - I missed that one little detail in scene 46 - how could I be so foolish! This movie was terrible and I now hate it with every fiber of my being! Thanks for fixing that for me!"  That's the reason I stay away from these post-release threads - they spin and spin and spin and go nowhere.



Anyways, I just came over to give my opinion and add it to the pile.  Carry on without me.

Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by skierpete View Post
 

And here I go continuing...I really don't get the way these movie threads live on here after a movies been released. I get going over news and being excited about something coming out. But it's out, you like it, you don't like it, if it's great you it holds a special place in your soul, but otherwise you move on.



I actually finally got around to watching MoS because I was at a party and there was this friend of a friend that we were talking comic book movies, and he was slagging off on X-Men First Class and how terrible he thinks it was (I quite liked it.) and then he started talking about how amazing Man Of Steel was, the best comic book movie in a long time. I didn't say anything but I kept thinking, "Hmmm, i heard that it wasn't that great", and so that's what finally got me to see it myself.



So - this guy thought it was the best movie of the year last year.


Several guys here think it's total shite.


I thought it was pretty good and liked it, but it didn't change my life.



It's just my opinion, CommodoreJohn or Freeman going off on how dumb it was isn't going to change my mind. That other guy telling me how awesome it is also wouldn't change my mind.



What's the whole point of it. We've now formed our opinions.  I'm not suddenly going to say "Gee your right - I missed that one little detail in scene 46 - how could I be so foolish! This movie was terrible and I now hate it with every fiber of my being! Thanks for fixing that for me!"  That's the reason I stay away from these post-release threads - they spin and spin and spin and go nowhere.



Anyways, I just came over to give my opinion and add it to the pile.  Carry on without me.



I know, it's really tiresome how people insist on having opinions about things even after I have made up my mind, thus rendering them wholly and completely pointless.

Reply
AHey skierpete. Do you feel the same way now about your favourite childhood film that you did thirty years ago? Or have you grown and evolved over time? Has your opinion changed as you changed?

We don't just like movies here at Chud. We're stupid about movies. Obsessive. Devoted. Unhealthy about movies. Some of us devote our lives to movies. You must have missed the sign at the door, but this site is not casual joes discussion corner where we talk about a movie once in the most casual sense and them float on to the next one. This is a site where we talk about the big stuff and the little stuff and the weird stuff and we revisit it all over and over again because we fucking love to do it.
Reply

Why it's almost as if we humans have nothing to gain from other people's points of view on the universe.  One wonders why we talk at all.

Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAIRUS View Post

Ah glad to see Nooj and Freeman are starting to create a caste system based on movie taste.


WHAT WHEN DID I DO SUCH A THING???

Reply

(I started a little side project and forged your signature a lil bit. Just go with it.  Be cool, be cool.)

Reply

When I was 10 my dad took my brother and I to see Jurassic Park. We were already running late and this was when multiple screens were actually a rarity, so we actually ended up sitting in the wrong theater. The movie was at the point when everyone is getting in the jeeps about to start the tour, and we just assumed we had missed the credits. For months afterwards I assumed that Tim and Lex were Alan and Ellie's children, and even today that still kind of resonates.




I say that because I'm telling you guys, if you start Man of Steel with Clark arriving at the Kent farm accompanied by random Malick-esque shots and end the movie with Supes and Lois kissing in the rubble, you get a nice potboiler of an 88-minute movie. All the contradictory Pa Kent flashbacks are cut out except one (leaving only the bully scene, which is pretty straightforward in its ideology, and the young Clark running around in a cape lording it over the dog) and Zod's exposition about Krypton is enough to get the gist of their culture.



It kind of leaves you feeling like you've been flipping the channels at 1am and stumbled into the middle of a movie, but it's easy to get what's going on and imagine that that missed first 20 minutes (because it only could've been 20 minutes, right?) were pretty cool.

Reply
ABartleby's all like, "First acts?! Who needs 'em?"
Reply

I think you'd have to work WE HAD A BOY CHILD ZOD into the film as a flashback later on, just for that moment of "wait, WTF did he just say?".

Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Bartleby's all like, "First acts?! Who needs 'em?"

Certainly not Superman Returns!

Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)