Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
PACIFIC RIM (2013) Post-Release
#71

Sadly, the sneak peek theatre was only 25% full. Bad omen.

Reply
#72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider99 View Post

not to mention the Japanese girl. Where did they find her? 

She's Academy Award nominated actress Rinko Kikuchi. And I can't imagine the difficulties she probably faced acting and emoting in a language that isn't her own.

Though I agree with Hunnam. He doesn't get an excuse.

Reply
#73
AMan I wanted to love it too, and I was ready to propose during the Hong Kong fight, but after that it didn't bring anything to the table.

I wanted there to be a daytime fight so badly, the little glimpse of the Sydney fight looked amazing, why couldn't we get more of that?

I still enjoyed the hell out of it, great movie, but I was totally blindsided by the lazy cliches. I thought it would be way more original.

I did love some of the classic anime tropes, like the jaeger head falling down the tunnel to attach to the body.
Reply
#74

The character stuff really wasn't working for me, but somehow the film just kicked into place once the attack on Hong Kong started and I was completely on board after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother View Post

When that fucker showed its wings, I almost literally screamed "Of course!" I should have know they wouldn't waste the opportunity for a flying monster.

I'm not big on monster films (and had no idea what a 'kaiju' was until it started to get thrown around in relation to this film), but when that thing revealed its wings and lifted off... I had such a wicked grin on my face.

Reply
#75
ADuring the fights in the water, even I was having trouble deciphering what was going on. Was that a kaiju, a jaeger or a giant wave?? For something of such a huge scale that could've benefited from long shots, they sure used it sparingly.

Even during the stick fight, a good amount of cuts for such basic choreography.
Reply
#76

Ok, sorry, but I'm drawing a line in the sand here.  If you couldn't follow these action sequences nothing will help you short of a completely stationary camera in a bright white room.  It's SOOOOO easy to follow this stuff.

Reply
#77

I admittedly had a little bit of trouble tracking the three kaiju during the final underwater fight.  Other than that I thought the action was easy to follow.

Reply
#78

Yeah, I had an easy time following the fights.

Reply
#79
A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/148477/pacific-rim-2013-post-release/50#post_3543549"]Ok, sorry, but I'm drawing a line in the sand here.  If you couldn't follow these action sequences nothing will help you short of a completely stationary camera in a bright white room.  It's SOOOOO easy to follow this stuff. 
[/quote]

why are you being so mean to me??
Reply
#80

Loved this so damn much it's not even funny.  Haven't been so satisfied with a movie in a long time. This thing bleeds love and respect for what inspired it and that's something MoS, STiD and all three Transformers movies didn't have.

The world of PACIFIC RIM is one I want to get lost in and want to see more of.  People who think movie is on the same level as the movies I just named need to get their heads checked because PACIFIC RIM just kicked Captain Kirk and Superman's ass with one glorious rocket-punch.

Amazing movie. Utterly fucking amazing.

Reply
#81
AGot my tickets to 3D showing tomorrow night for the rewatch.
Reply
#82

I loved this. Best blockbuster this year by far.  Every fight was clear and very easy to follow. I can't wait to see this again.

My 7pm showing was about 80% full, and people seemed to love it. I heard Grown Ups 2 was sold out both night showings last night. Fucking depressing.

Reply
#83
Quote:
why are you being so mean to me??


Haha I'm sorry man, but "I couldn't follow the action" doesn't apply to this one.  If you couldn't follow the action, that's not the movie's problem, and it's more of a you issue.  You guys might want to get your eyes checked.

Reply
#84

On the "Damsel" complaint- I don't think it was horrible, but there were certainly moments that bothered me. Like I mentioned earlier, the "Girl can't control her feelings enough to use her powers!" is a trope that's been around too much. Even worse for me, though, was the fistfight between the lead and his rival, where he's "Defending her honor". So the lead is in a fistfight, to nobly get the guy to apologize to her. Why can't she defend her own honor? She's a good fighter too, she should be able to kick his ass! Or at least verbally respond to the guy. Or jump in and break the fight up, if she doesn't like either of their behaviors. Instead she stands there like a wilting flower, and that colored the character for me.

Reply
#85

I managed to get my hands on an early script and the changes are pretty extreme.  The Mako character in this version for example is much more of a badass soldier type and not the damsel, ever.  She was also a pilot who lost somebody, so putting her and Raleigh together plays out like two broken misfit toys trying to get back into the game out of desperation.  It turns out she doesn't even speak English, and Raleigh is choked because not being able to understand each other makes piloting absurdly difficult.  For example their first fight is much rougher, with miscommunications, firing off rockets by accident etc.  At one point though as always they start to "get" each other and suddenly they can just understand each other, despite the fact that they didn't learn each others language, some neural connection trick. They fall in love, start to sleep together etc...

It follows maybe a more typical approach, but I feel like it's stronger than the pouty 14 year old Asian girl stuff.

Reply
#86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

Honestly, this is hardly a step above Transformers and I genuinely feel anyone who says otherwise is doing so mainly because it has Guillermo's name attached to it.

That's some real anti-criticism right there, man.

Guillermo's name being attached to anything fosters excitement, and yes, it's possible to have a personal inclination toward a specific filmmaker. But saying that this is "hardly a step above Transformers" is absolutely insane. This is leagues above Transformers on every level imaginable; as a spectacle it's better drawn, as a drama it's better written, and as a showcase for imagination it's infinitely more creative.

Not liking it is one thing - to each their own - but comparing it to the lowest rung on the cinematic totem pole possible is just insane to me.

Reply
#87

Total hyperbole.

Reply
#88

For my money, the first summer movie this year to fully deliver on what it promised.  No, it's not a game-changing, genre-defining five-star classic.  It's just two hours of out-and-out fun, by a director who is clearly excited and invested in the material and not just farming a property for a paycheck.

Reply
#89

I agree with everything you said Richard, but for some reason I feel like Pac Rim is an instant classic.  Can a movie not be perfect and be a little flawed but still be an instant classic?  I think so.  I can't remember the last time I wanted to go see a movie again right away, but I will this weekend.

Reply
#90
AMan, I wanted to love it and there's a lot to like but in the end it just felt hollow. To my surprise the best thing about this was Charlie day. Some of the action was hard to follow and I'll probably get shit for this but transformers 3 action felt more epic. Might be one of those movies that is hurt by my level of excitement. I'll give it a rewatch on home vid.
Reply
#91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

No, it's not a game-changing, genre-defining five-star classic.  It's just two hours of out-and-out fun, by a director who is clearly excited and invested in the material and not just farming a property for a paycheck.

See, much as I love the film - and am obviously willing to scrap over it! - I think this is kinda key. Pacific Rim doesn't have to be a game-changer to have value and merit, and it need not live up to the heights of its forebears, either. If anything the film just needs to be able to stand up well alongside those films, and I'd argue that it does even if it's no Godzilla.

"Best blockbuster of 2013" is a pretty good superlative. I don't know why the film has to be anything bigger than that. (Maybe we'll reconvene in ten years and discover that the film has indeed risen to classic status.)

Reply
#92
A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/148477/pacific-rim-2013-post-release/60#post_3543571"]I agree with everything you said Richard, but for some reason I feel like Pac Rim is an instant classic.  Can a movie not be perfect and be a little flawed but still be an instant classic?  I think so.  I can't remember the last time I wanted to go see a movie again right away, but I will this weekend.
[/quote]

I felt that way about Scott Pilgrim, though America did not agree. Sad about that I'd love a Scott Pilgrim 2. But I can't wait to see this later today. It's going to be so hard to focus on work today! On break I might have to watch old clips of Ultraman, Mothra, Gamera and Godzilla. God I can't wait!
Reply
#93

I wasn't meaning to damn with faint praise, but I think some people are judging this against some of the more hyperbolic reactions out there ("this generation's Star Wars" in particular) and using that to knock the film down a peg or two.  It's a film that unabashedly, confidently, entertainingly is what it is.  Taking it to task for not being something it never tries to be is misguided.  You can argue that del Toro has done weightier, more thematically rich films.  But what in the run-up to Pacific Rim's release gave you any reason to expect anything remotely like Pan's Labyrinth or The Devil's Backbone?  Everything said, "This is the big-budget kaiju film your twelve-year old self wishes they could have seen.  Have fun."  Is there anything wrong with it just being that?

And I want to single out Mana Ashida, the girl who played young Mako.  She's absolutely astonishing in her few scenes.  That whole sequence is probably the most affecting thing in the whole film, and the reason it works is entirely on her shoulders.

Reply
#94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Loved this so damn much it's not even funny.  Haven't been so satisfied with a movie in a long time. This thing bleeds love and respect for what inspired it and that's something MoS, STiD and all three Transformers movies didn't have.

The world of PACIFIC RIM is one I want to get lost in and want to see more of.  People who think movie is on the same level as the movies I just named need to get their heads checked because PACIFIC RIM just kicked Captain Kirk and Superman's ass with one glorious rocket-punch.

Amazing movie. Utterly fucking amazing.


During the movie, I kinda hoped for ground troops to be shown helping taking down the kaiju or fighting smaller ones/parasites, if only because I knew that would had made your EDF loving brain explode right there in the theater.

Hell, now i want to see that too.

Reply
#95

Spider99, I thought the Russians were...CherNOBLE, before the...Meltdown, and...Love the traditional music as they are introduced. I don't hope for additional...Kaiju Films to emerge, but more...Super Robot Slugfests! Grendizer, Mazinger, Getter Robo G, more...Primary Color emblossed Super Robots, as well as fights in the daylight, seeing their garish colors as the heroes fight the...EEEEEEvil invaders.  I also would...Love a Robotech Film, but mainly if they focus on the first series based on the Japanese Anime Macross, and not the other two shows.  The tale of the crew of the...SDF-1 is to me the...Best part of the series.  I am amused that an...Idol Singer saved the galaxy, more than the entire Earth Defense Force!

Reply
#96
A[quote name="agracru" url="/community/t/148477/pacific-rim-2013-post-release/60#post_3543566"]
That's some real anti-criticism right there, man.

Guillermo's name being attached to anything fosters excitement, and yes, it's possible to have a personal inclination toward a specific filmmaker. But saying that this is "hardly a step above Transformers" is absolutely insane. This is leagues above Transformers on every level imaginable; as a spectacle it's better drawn, as a drama it's better written, and as a showcase for imagination it's infinitely more creative. 

Not liking it is one thing - to each their own - but comparing it to the lowest rung on the cinematic totem pole possible is just insane to me.
[/quote]


[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/148477/pacific-rim-2013-post-release/60#post_3543568"]Total hyperbole.
[/quote]

Sorry, but no. The characters are paper thin, regardless of how hard they were trying to convince you otherwise. People in the theater were laughing at characters near the end, and not in a good way. I'll lightly agree with the rest of what you said, but that only echoes what I said before: it's a step above Transformers because of better design and care put into it.
Reply
#97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

And I want to single out Mana Ashida, the girl who played young Mako.  She's absolutely astonishing in her few scenes.  That whole sequence is probably the most affecting thing in the whole film, and the reason it works is entirely on her shoulders.

She did far and away the best acting in the film.

Reply
#98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

 People in the theater were laughing at characters near the end, and not in a good way.

I see stuff like this and always wonder how it is someone knows exactly what someone is laughing at and why.  There were moments I laughed, but in the sense that I had no other way to express my delight with what I was watching.

It's also interesting how everyone inevitably has an audience that's in lock-step agreement with how they feel about the film.

You say paper-thin, I say archetypes.  It's a big, broad film, and the characters are sketched just as broadly.  I thought all the actors did a nice job injecting some personality into them.  I don't know what people expected exactly from a character who was psychically linked to his brother as he got killed by a giant rampaging monster that proceeded to kick his ass all over the north Pacific, but I thought Hunnam projected that defeated, haunted air pretty well.

Reply
#99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dickson View Post

I see stuff like this and always wonder how it is someone knows exactly what someone is laughing at and why.  There were moments I laughed, but in the sense that I had no other way to express my delight with what I was watching.

It's also interesting how everyone inevitably has an audience that's in lock-step agreement with how they feel about the film.

You say paper-thin, I say archetypes.  It's a big, broad film, and the characters are sketched just as broadly.  I thought all the actors did a nice job injecting some personality into them.  I don't know what people expected exactly from a character who was psychically linked to his brother as he got killed by a giant rampaging monster that proceeded to kick his ass all over the north Pacific, but I thought Hunnam projected that defeated, haunted air pretty well.

Because it's not a cynical movie.  Avatar sometimes gets the same responses.

Reply
ARemember the fireplace scene during Attack of the Clones, where the dialogue was written and acted poorly? People laughed at that. And from what the scene was supposed to convey, plus the timing and tone of the laugh, it wasn't hard to deduce something wasn't right.

That's the same as what was beginning to happen here. For you to presume it was lock-step with what I was feeling at that may not necessarily be true.

Archetypes are fine, but when they're clearly that, then I especially expect more from the filmmaker and actors. Throwing around the excuse of "yeah, but big loud punching movie" is a poor excuse, and could be used with the concept of many other films to excuse their weaknesses. The acting felt poor, words spewing from actors really giving it their all. I borderline felt like I was watching the script of an episode of Voltron come to life.

Going into this I wasn't expecting much but as the time got closer I begun to do an admittedly surprising about-face. Up until PACIFIC RIM appeared on screen, I thought I was in for a treat. And there are people who were looking forward to this far more than I who are having to agree with what I'm saying reluctantly, no matter how much they wanted to love it. If that doesn't lend some of my words weight, well, I don't know what else can be said.
Reply
A[quote name="fxenderby" url="/community/t/148477/pacific-rim-2013-post-release/60#post_3543545"]
She's Academy Award nominated actress Rinko Kikuchi. And I can't imagine the difficulties she probably faced acting and emoting in a language that isn't her own.

Though I agree with Hunnam. He doesn't get an excuse.
[/quote]
Being Asian myself I get that. But GdT should've known that when all else fails, Asian actresses revert to the doe eyed look when they're not confident in their performances.
Reply

It's funny, one of my friends said after Gipsy Danger picks up the fishing boat in that opening scene, "See, that's what heroes do."  He didn't come out and say it, but I knew he was referring to Man of Steel.  This film has destruction on a much larger scale than Man of Steel, but it's being met by straight-forward, unexamined, unexplained, undeconstructed heroism.  And so we feel less conflicted about it.

Reply
APretty sure they save entire planets, too.
Reply

The characters may be "paper thin" but they're not "poorly drawn", and I think there's a massive distinction between the two. Yeah, they're archetypes, but they're fully embodied archetypes being brought to life by dynamic actors who exist in a fully lived-in universe. The actors are shooting to convey really specific and narrow emotions and characteristics, but they do that, and that's what matters most. I'm not going to be able to convince you of how successful the film's human drama is, but if you can't get why Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba posture, jaw, and speechify like they're actors in World War 2 movies, then this clearly isn't a movie for you.

Speaking of anecdotal evidence, everyone at my screening ate Pacific Rim up. But I also don't really give a shit about audience reactions at a single screening, because their reactions don't necessarily reflect my own. Who cares if people laughed at your screening? If people derided Before Midnight at a screening you attended, would you then go on to decry Before Midnight because a room full of yokels sneered at it? Audience reaction is irrelevant next to personal reaction. I loved the fact that everybody in the theater went apeshit over Mako splitting a kaiju in twain, but it also has no bearing on how I feel about the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun H View Post

And there are people who were looking forward to this far more than I who are having to agree with what I'm saying reluctantly, no matter how much they wanted to love it. If that doesn't lend some of my words weight, well, I don't know what else can be said.

Okay, I love CHUD, I respect its rules of forum decorum (ha!), and, hell, I think you're a swell guy too, but you've gotta be kidding me with this. No, the fact that other people (people who had high hopes for Pacific Rim) have expressed sentiment similar to your own doesn't lend your words excess weight, at least not anymore than the fact that other people have expressed sentiment similar to mine doesn't lend my words excess weight. No matter where Pacific Rim ends up falling in popular consensus, I'm still going to love it and debate criticisms of it.

You're not wrong about the characters being "thin", but, again, I don't think that's a problem given that they're well-realized. (Which is itself another point of contention, but one I'm willing to go to bat for.)

Reply

Good movie, damn near a great one. I can definitely call it one of the best blockbusters of the summer and will deride anyone I know for seeing GU2 instead of this, but it didn't hit me emotionally. It. Almost. Got. There. I think a lot of that is on Hunnam, who squeaks by on pretty boy gruffness, and I never bough the connection between Bennet and Mako. I could listen to Idris Elba speechify all damn day.

But in terms of balls to the wall action, holy shit, that penultimate battle is one of the best things I've seen all year.

Movies have confused me: how strong is a nuclear blast? This is the second film in two years that involve a lone dude delivering a nuke to an alien race and annihilating them completely. And how did they both get back?

Also, the first ten minutes are a better World War Z than Brad Pitt Zombie Movie.

Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)