Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope Francis: Totally Cool and With the Times

No one gets to reference Stryper without posting an image of them in their heyday.

A[quote name="VTRan" url="/community/t/148647/pope-francis-totally-cool-and-with-the-times/90#post_3627701"]No one gets to reference Stryper without posting an image of them in their heyday.

[/quote]

Why did Banshee form a band? Did he push them off a Satellite Dish?

I still think that is a cool look and I know I'm in the minority on that opinion.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post

I still think that is a cool look and I know I'm in the minority on that opinion.

<br />

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs4v-zexx8M

....not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

AND PROUD OF IT!

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

Since I started the Stryper derail, I'm going to rerail the thread.

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/scar...pe-francis

I'm not anti-capitalism, I just think it should be regulated. Republicans believe that the private sector can do everything better than the government and regulations are an encroachment on freedom. The reconstruction of Iraq was taken care by a private company and there where no regulations and nothing got done!

Conservatives don't want pure capitalism. Pure capitalism relies on perfect information. As the entrenched interests will do anything to hide information from the public*, what they actually want is a tweaked version of capitalism that benefits the fortunate instead of the tweaked version of capitalism we have now with a safety net for the unfortunate. True unfettered capitalism might actually be a viable option, but we'll never see it because NO ONE truly wants it on either side.

*(ingredients of fracking solutions, how bad working conditions are in the third world, actual costs, the salary of your coworkers, how many calories are in that scone, where the components of your car are made... I could go on)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeI View Post

Conservatives don't want pure capitalism. Pure capitalism relies on perfect information. As the entrenched interests will do anything to hide information from the public*, what they actually want is a tweaked version of capitalism that benefits the fortunate instead of the tweaked version of capitalism we have now with a safety net for the unfortunate. True unfettered capitalism might actually be a viable option, but we'll never see it because NO ONE truly wants it on either side.

*(ingredients of fracking solutions, how bad working conditions are in the third world, actual costs, the salary of your coworkers, how many calories are in that scone, where the components of your car are made... I could go on)

That's a bit simplistic and only one part of the Conservative movement (and I doubt they explicitly believe what you say they do: I think they are fully invested and really believe that e.g.fracking is fine).

You also have the Ayn Rand acolytes who want to tear down the Crony Capitalism you describe, and replace it with a Platonic Idea of Capitalism, where literally everything has a monetary price assigned to it, and the Dollar Sign has replaced the Cross.

Then you have your Social Conservatives, who want free market economics but a heavily regulated Social Order, based on Fundamentalist Christianity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

That's a bit simplistic and only one part of the Conservative movement (and I doubt they explicitly believe what you say they do: I think they are fully invested and really believe that e.g.fracking is fine).

I don't know what's worse, the individuals that truly think "fracking is fine & safe" or the individuals that know that there is an inherent danger and a  possibility of long term ecological damage but just don't care.   As long as it's not in their backyard, they could give a shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

I don't know what's worse, the individuals that truly think "fracking is fine & safe" or the individuals that know that there is an inherent danger and a  possibility of long term ecological damage but just don't care.   As long as it's not in their backyard, they could give a shit.

Well to unpack that: a lot of the problem with political dialogue in this country is that each side of the Left/Right divide thinks the other side is dishonest and controlled by their idealology.

Thus people who support Fraking look at those who oppose it as Leftists who seek to stop any and all types of progress in the name of environmentalism. And they do have some evidence on their side (right now a huge Solar Farm project is being delayed in California because activists are concerned that a desert Tortoise's habitat might be impacted).

And people who oppose fraking think those who support it are debased Greedheads or stupid.

Kind of hard to have a debate between two sides like that, no?

AThat's a bit simplistic and only one part of the "Conservative movement (and I doubt they explicitly believe what you say they do: I think they are fully invested and really believe that e.g.fracking is fine)."

How is it simplistic? Perfect information is one of the necessities of capitalism. Disclosure of information consistently needs to be legislated because industries won't do it on their own. That legislation is always opposed by conservatives a burdensome or job killing regulation. If they believed in pure capitalism, they would support a more complete disclosure of information.

I'm going to interrupt here and point that Pope Francis used to be a fucking bouncer. That's amazing.

Here is the Pope's twitter page  https://twitter.com/Pontifex

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rylander View Post

Here is the Pope's twitter page  https://twitter.com/Pontifex

Man, this guy's really beating the religion drum hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Decade View Post

Man, this guy's really beating the religion drum hard.

Yeah, he's really churchy.  I hear he's giving up 40 characters for Lent.

The whole blaming of the poor thing that happens in conservative politics/media in the US is just gross and racist.

And I tried reading the bible, talk about a preachy book.

I honestly, no shit, forsee a possible future where the right wing is anti-religion. Between Francis putting the spotlight on economic discrepancies (and it really has to be said: his predecessors may have paid lip service to similar issues, but Francis is banging that drum HARD and actually making news, which is a whole other ball game) and the way the Tea Party is starting to alienate the big business wing of the Republican party, along with the Randian contempt for religion, things seem to be shifting fast. The right is pretty much openly displaying how much contempt they always had for the actual tenets of Christianity by criticizing the pope and the various other social justice clerics, and I don't think they're realizing just how badly this is going to alienate their base. Calling people communists has always worked for a certain segment of the population, but even the most zombified believer might do a double take when you do it to the pope.

Of course, that means that the obvious avenue to take is to crank up the CATHOLICISM IS DEVIL WORSHIP propaganda that has been a reliable hobby-horse for the fundamentalists. Will the right start working a division between Catholics and Protestants? Will we start to hear Obama accused of being a secret Catholic?

Agree, it's incredible to watch the fallout from the Pontiff's statements supporting the poor and calling out the greedy rich and their stupid, sleazy policies.

Exactly Prankster, for as long as there has been religion, or any group of people who believed in something, there will always be a smaller, more focused group who just believes in it more and therefore, that other group is totally wrong and my group is totally right. Religion, Politics, SW vs LotR. The Repubs won't become anti-religion, they'll become even more pro-The Right religion. Which of course, they get to define not with any set of 'is', but a nice long list of 'isn't's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Happenin View Post

Exactly Prankster, for as long as there has been religion, or any group of people who believed in something, there will always be a smaller, more focused group who just believes in it more and therefore, that other group is totally wrong and my group is totally right. Religion, Politics, SW vs LotR. The Repubs won't become anti-religion, they'll become even more pro-The Right religion. Which of course, they get to define not with any set of 'is', but a nice long list of 'isn't's.

And courting an increasingly narrow base in that way will pay diminishing returns, until there's no choice but to do a fairly radical overhaul on the whole party.  Which I think is just as likely to be rabidly pro-Catholic (Hispanic demographics being what they are) as broadly anti-religious (though the Randian wing could push this if they get it in their heads that it will allow them to skew young).

I was at the gym yesterday and one of the TVs had Fox News on. The story they where covering was some group wants to put a Satanic monument next to a Ten Commandments one. One the guests for the segment was President of the Catholic League Bill Donahue. If he really was the hard core Catholic he claimed to be he would never go on that network for the things they have said about Pope Francis. I guess he was too busy being pissed at Dan Savage and Bill Maher for criticizing the church for their child molestation scandals.

I can see the US Evangelical wing becoming even more Anti-Catholic than they are now (and they are pretty hardcore; many if not most Evangelicals think Catholics aren't "real" Christians).

Then you've got the Randians who are openly Athestic.

So yeah, I think the GOP will retain their status quo.

I mean look at this Catholic Commie shit from the Pope's Twitter feed:

"If we see someone who needs help, do we stop? There is so much suffering and poverty, and a great need for good Samaritans."

"Holiness doesn’t mean doing extraordinary things, but doing ordinary things with love and faith."

"It is hard to forgive others. Lord, grant us your mercy, so that we can always forgive."

But guys, Jesus said "I got mine, so fuck all y'all."

No, I don't have the citation down and maybe I paraphrasing, but that's basically the gist.

Right?

I've got a bunch of loaves and fishes that are just multiplying and I'm gonna keep them all for myself.  Maybe a few will roll down the hill for you guys!

Sure most folks are aware, but figured it was worth mentioning.  Time's person of the year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

I can see the US Evangelical wing becoming even more Anti-Catholic than they are now (and they are pretty hardcore; many if not most Evangelicals think Catholics aren't "real" Christians).

Then you've got the Randians who are openly Athestic.

So yeah, I think the GOP will retain their status quo.

Not to sure about Rand but Ron has expressed is a serious religious nutjob opinions...

Quote:

The Founding Fathers envisioned a robustly Christian yet religiously tolerant America, with churches serving as vital institutions that would eclipse the state in importance. — Ron Paul

Quote:

Through perverse court decisions and years of cultural indoctrination, the elitist, secular Left has managed to convince many in our nation that religion must be driven from public view. The justification is always that someone, somewhere, might possibly be offended or feel uncomfortable living in the midst of a largely Christian society, so all must yield to the fragile sensibilities of the few. The ultimate goal of the anti-religious elites is to transform America into a completely secular nation, a nation that is legally and culturally biased against Christianity. — Ron Paul
Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

The ultimate goal of the anti-religious elites is to transform America into a completely secular nation, a nation that is legally and culturally biased against Christianity.

I'll admit it, he's got me there.

I mean, that doesn't sound like the worst thing.

And if you think about it, God's kind of a slumlord. He owns huuuuuuuuge tracts of...land, namely, all of an endless paradise AND he also wants his will be done down here on this pale blue dot? Come on, man, learn to share. I'm pretty sure that's in your biography!

If this keeps up, I want to see this Pope star of the next Die Hard film where he takes on greedy Wall Street 'terrorists'.

Pope attacks mega-salaries, big bonuses, in peace message

Quote:

6. The grave financial and economic crises of the present time – which find their origin in the progressive distancing of man from God and from his neighbour, in the greedy pursuit of material goods on the one hand, and in the impoverishment of interpersonal and community relations on the other – have pushed man to seek satisfaction, happiness and security in consumption and earnings out of all proportion to the principles of a sound economy.

http://ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chron...tion-peace

Don't get me wrong, there still needs to be some major reforms made in the Catholic church...but this is a pretty good first step.

Nice message, Poper... but your damn hat is probably worth more than my entire life.

Even Jesus finds hat envy unattractive, Bails.

(I decided to call you Bails for a bit, see how it goes)

Just don't call me late for The Last Supper.

Do any of you folks have the skills to make a Shepherd Fairey style knockoff like my avatar for Pope Francis, but with the word POPE?