Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope Francis: Totally Cool and With the Times

The Pope? He does look a lot like Anthony Hopkins....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-...orability/

Quote:

His steepest favorability drop was among Americans who call themselves conservative: From 72 percent to 45 percent. Among liberals it went from 82 percent to 68 percent.

The Pope is coming to town---

He is due to arrive in the US and in my neck of the woods today.

Roads closed, whole neighborhoods shut off, employees asked to work from home or take time off to avoid the hassles involved.

Just when you think transportation couldn't be any worse (DC was recently named worse traffic in US) along comes Pope to muck it all up.

Once his plane is about to land the local news shows (and probably some network news shows) will be broadcasting live non-stop.

Restaurants and delis are cashing in by naming food after him. Street side vendors are displaying Pope memorabilia  ranging from t-shirts and dishes to postcards, key chains and snow globes. (Gotta say I'd buy a 'Pope on a rope' bath accessory, just for the novelty of it, )

Every thing outside is getting cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint slapped on (not a bad thing, truthfully) and sidewalks lined with lovely new cement barriers.

People are going to be thrusting their baby-laden arms at him with the hope of him touching them, so better give him some personal space for security reasons.

With all his security and the secret service and the massive web of surveillance there's sure to be in place, will there be a terrorist event?

Well, get ready Philly & New York---he's heading your way !  Enjoy!

Oh god, the clusterfuck that this is already causing here in NYC is absurd. I don't think anyone's going to work anywhere in Manhattan come Friday. There's just no point.

I can't wait to see US Republicans lose their minds when the Pope speaks.

Quote:

"He is certain to emphasize one of the central themes of his papacy -- that the unfettered capitalism practiced in the United States and the West is fostering income inequality and creating an economic culture where the poor are simply discarded.

In a highly symbolic moment, Francis will pass on lunch with lawmakers after addressing Congress and will dine instead with homeless people in Washington."

"Francis' past calls for migrants to be respected could draw him into the heated debate on illegal immigration that is roiling the 2016 presidential campaign. Warnings by Francis of the need to tackle climate change have angered some Republicans. The Catholic Church's opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion meanwhile puts him at odds with many Democrats and the Obama administration."

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/22/politi...index.html

It says a lot when the head of the Catholic Church is more progressive than the GOP.

So, is the pope gone yet?

If I hear one of these hardcore fundie religious folks bitch about being a persecuted minority I'm going to point out that there has been nothing on TV 'news' for the last 3 days but religious programming.

AYou'd think that Jesus has come back, but no. It's just some old fuck in a Fiat fucking up traffic everywhere.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

So, is the pope gone yet?

If I hear one of these hardcore fundie religious folks bitch about being a persecuted minority I'm going to point out that there has been nothing on TV 'news' for the last 3 days but religious programming.

Fundamentalist Christians consider the Pope the anti-Christ, so not sure what you're talking about ...

A[Image: 400]
A[quote name="ElCapitanAmerica" url="/community/t/148647/pope-francis-totally-cool-and-with-the-times/210#post_3947326"]
Fundamentalist Christians consider the Pope the anti-Christ, so not sure what you're talking about ...
[/quote]
I didn't use the word 'christian' on purpose.
Protestant, baptist, Unitarian, et al...I make no distinction between any of the many flavors of the Jesus/xtian mythology.
Sure, some are better than others but I find the whole of the belief structure to be highly irrational and, to be honest, quite silly.
The same applies to all the other 'religions' be it Islam, Mormon, Scientology, etc.
As fictional stories, they can be interesting (and hilarious) but IMO, they are about as real as LotR or Star Wars.
Quote:

I didn't use the word 'christian' on purpose.
Protestant, baptist, Unitarian, et al...I make no distinction between any of the many flavors of the Jesus/xtian mythology.
Sure, some are better than others but I find the whole of the belief structure to be highly irrational and, to be honest, quite silly.
The same applies to all the other 'religions' be it Islam, Mormon, Scientology, etc.
As fictional stories, they can be interesting (and hilarious) but IMO, they are about as real as LotR or Star Wars.

Sure ... but if you don't understand the distinctions, you're not going to make points that make a lot of sense on that topic. That has no relevance to whatever you (or I) personally believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCapitanAmerica View Post

Im amazed Phelps clan of hatemongering a-holes havent showed up anywhere near this (that i know of).

http://townhall.com/columnists/monachare...n-n2056616

Mrs. Charen, who's Jewish, talking about the Pope and his more liberal positions in more assertive terms than most other conservatives I've been reading.

Another reason to like Pope Francis, Alex Jones isn't a fan.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/alex-jon...e-by-2025/

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

The Pope was in Philadelphia today.

My question: did he do the "Rocky Run" up the steps to the Rocky Statue and hold  his hands in the air? Like he just doesn't care?

ANot totally cool . . . not totally with the times.

I'm hearing on la radio that he met privately with Kim Davis. Vatican will not confirm or deny.

Edit: I see Draco posted about this in the 'power of Christ' thread.

Well it's not like the Pope is supposed to take a poll on what social positions he supports. He's said that Catholics should show compassion towards Homosexuals, which is not the same thing as supporting Gay Marriage.

It's fun watching liberals twist themselves into knots about the Pope. Next week they'll love him again.

A[quote name="Malmordo" url="/community/t/148647/pope-francis-totally-cool-and-with-the-times/210#post_3950271"]It's fun watching liberals twist themselves into knots about the Pope. Next week they'll love him again.
[/quote]
Anyone calling themselves a Liberal and repping for this Pope can be dismissed as uninformed.
AAs far as I'm concerned, if you're a religious leader, you're a charlatan. I don't care what your stance is on climate change.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malmordo View Post

It's fun watching conservatives twist themselves into knots about the Pope. Next week they'll love him again.

in the spirit of equal time...

Quote:

in the spirit of equal time...

Conservatives decided a long time ago that they can't stand the Pope and they're sticking to it. The Kim Davis meeting isn't going to change anything for them.

Liberals are just generally befuddled and don't know what to think about the Davis info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

As far as I'm concerned, if you're a religious leader, you're a charlatan. I don't care what your stance is on climate change.

Bully for you, but assuming you care about climate change at all, that's stupidly myopic.

AStupid myopia is my preferred myopia.
Quote:

Stupid herpes is my preferred herpes.

Fixed for a cheap laugh. I know you're clean-ish.

ACheap laughs are my preferred laughs.

Vintage Bradito!

Quote:

Cheap laughs are my only laughs.

C'mon, somebody had to do it.

I agree with Schwartz on this one because it is good to see someone in a position of power speak about climate change.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

I find some of the current pope's views on the poor and the climate and greed refreshing, and oddly needed in a world where being successful and rich seems to be valued more than being a decent human being. I disagree with him on a significant number of other topics. But then again I'm just a befuddled liberal.

People I actually know I don't agree with about everything, why should the Pope be any different. One big difference, unlike people I know, he can do something about pedophile priests.

I admire a lot of Francis' views, his humility and general demeanor.  That doesn't mean I love him or think he's the best thing ever.  Because he's still the head of the Catholic Church!  Being nice and not being ostentatious isn't going to suddenly undo all the horrific shit that institution has done since it's founding.

I just wish the Dalai Llama got this much attention in the media.  If there's a religious leader you should actually want to champion and support, it's that one.

Forget stuff they did since their funding. Talking big is OK but I'll actually give a shit once they start agreeing with contraception. Oh, and once they actually put atheists and homosexuals in a different category than murderers and rapists.