Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arcade Cabinet of Thrones

So basically, the agreement that I have with my wife is that if I paint the speaker cabinets and clean out my office closets, I can buy a PS4 at launch.  This is actually the most personal and intense non-commercial art project I've done in years.  I'm having a lot of fun cleaning up individual color layers in PS and then printing work out and drawing right onto what I print - then taking pictures with my phone, emai it to myself, and getting right back into it.  The idea is to break everything into black, white, and one mid-scale color, so it will be easy to transfer over to a wood panel by tracing a few lines with a pencil and going back in with paint pens for a nice, flat coat.  Keep in ind that I'll be posting work in progress, but I'd love to get some Chewer feedback.

Right now my main gripe is that she looks a bit too much like Patricia Arquette, but it will probably become more obvious as I fill in the hair more and add dragons and shit.

<br />

<br />

Wow, very nice!  Maybe thin down the shadow under her mouth, and darken the upper lip a tad?  Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Yeah, I'll go and clean up under the lip next time.  I'm referencing print-outs with different contrast values - so I'll pump up the contrast to 11 so I can reference some nice dark lines, but that will turn some of the features into blobs - so I'll have to go in and give more detail to the high contrast areas, but also keep a lot of the contrast.  The look I'm going for is the arcade cabinets of the 80s and 90s

AppleMark<br />
<br />

<br />

<br />
<br />
<br />

Looking a bit less like Patricia Arquette , I guess ... Noticing that Emilia Clarke doesn't have much of a "look" without the ridiculous wig ... her nose actually is pretty big and flat and she's got more crazy-eyes than Arquette's, whose eyes are more reflective and friendly.  I'm probably done with the face, any more detail would take away from the the fields of black around the eyes, mouth, and nose that I'm pretty happy with.  Hopefully it will look more like Daenerys after I add more of the wig, and if it doesn't, adding dragons should make it obvious who she's supposed to be.

<br />

Noticing my black and white print-outs look better than the color stuff.  Might juxtapose better with the dragons and fire also

Very cool! Good luck with your project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

<br />

Noticing my black and white print-outs look better than the color stuff.  Might juxtapose better with the dragons and fire also

This looks great

AHow goes the project?

I'm mostly working on the weekends on it.  I'd work on it more, but I'm on a kick to work out everyday after work.  I also gave up on the "goal" of getting a PS4 since I ended up spending about $250 on a new Wacom tablet and Manga Studio.  I'll post more as it develops, but it might take a few months to finish.

Very cool! I'll be excited to see how it turns out. I'm still working on my home theater sign so I know about DIY projects taking longer than anticipated.

Well, I'm going to paint the cabinets this week.  Since I'm having a kid, I designed a Lilo and Stitch theme .... obviously it was pretty easy to trace stuff by a bunch of Disney guys, but  I think I did a good job of breaking down the colors so they'll be easier to stencil and spray.  The surfing girls only have four colors and I cut the amount of colors on Stitch way down from those Disney guys who are like perfectionists or something.  I'll post the results here and then return to my hollowed out arcade cabinet to make the true, epic Acade Cabinet of Thrones!

Finished the first cabinet today.  Probably won't get to the other until after the weedend.  Learning a lot about airbrushing on wood that I'll need for the GOT Arcade Cabinet.

So, I'll be moving to my new place in a couple weeks and will move a hollowed out arcade cabinet out of my mother's garage and onto the porch at my new rented house.  It's a Super Pacman cabinet I've already sanded down and it is HUGE.  I spent the day compositing GOT screencaps into designs - I'll go in and trace them in PS and basically get all the lines/shapes and colors worked out befor I even start to paint.  I've been doing this for some Mad Max paintings I'm going to make and feel like I've been getting a lot  better at it.  Her's my Vernon Wells I worked on yesterday:

These are the two sides:

and the front:

Pretty happy that I mostly avoided "floating heads", which I think is so hacky.   A little bummed that Tyrrion / Arya/ and The Hound didn't make the cut.  Also no White Walkers or Giants, since those are already mostly CGI and I on principle don't usually trace other people's artwork .... my Lilo and Stitch cabinet is an exception and, you know, there's really no avoiding dragons for this project.

I'll start posting my designs and should hammer through this project pretty quick.  I want the entire thing painted and wired before it gets cold.

AThe Lilo and Stitch stuff is adorbs. Also warms the cockles of my heart to see Khal Drogo will live forever on the Super Pacman cabinet.

Thought I'd post an update, even though I'm not actually done with anything.  John Snow is such a boring guy, it's almost impossible to make him look interesting - he has a weird nose that's typical for action guys (Diesel, Jackie Chan, Schwarzenegger, Eastwood).  Rose Leslie has a fantastic face, but she's very pale and it's difficult not to make her look too old.  I saw Patricia Arguette in line at a store once and was blown away by the expressiveness in her face - Rose Leslie and Emilia Clark have the same look - simultaneously vulnerable and tough looking, which is so much easier for American girls to pull off than Brits ... I think it's because Americans think tough British girls are stuck in their social class, where American girls are more flexible with their options and therefore less weary ... Rose Leslie pulls off tough without looking like a victim and keeps a sense of playfulness, which is the appeal of other tough-girl beauties like Katie Sackhof and Sandra Bullock. Lena Heady is a good contrast - always the victim, and has to get extra tough and humorless for results, even though I'm a huge fan of her villain work.

Got a nice Disney-Princess vibe from this one that I'll prob never going to get right again - her eyes are so big because her body is so small - I Googled it - she's 5'2"

Tweaked the eyes, nose, and shadows on Daenerys quite a bit, and also brought down the skin tone so the highlights aren't so intense.  Really having a hard time with her, but I'm probably going to settle here.  Drogo was so much easier to - all the makeup is very forgiving and he has a bizarre forehead that was surprisingly easy to get right.