Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
October Horror Movie Challenge
I'd like to see some research on how Intruder got away with the goriest VHS cover I've ever seen:

[Image: jaquette_483905.jpg]
(09-16-2019, 10:41 AM)boone daniels Wrote: I think I'm going to take a shot at this again, if only because I've got a master's thesis coming up and I'm going to write it, I think, on the intersection between folk horror and the slasher film.

Sounds interesting! And a perfect excuse to watch a lot of horror movies.

(09-16-2019, 11:53 AM)Mangy Wrote: I'd like to see some research on how Intruder got away with the goriest VHS cover I've ever seen:

[Image: jaquette_483905.jpg]

Love the "Caution" at the top! It's not just uncut, it's the STRONG UNCUT VERSION!
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
It's not a US DVD. Although given the UK's history with horror films and just violence in general in movies, it's kind of funny they seem to have the most violent cover for that movie.

When I rented that from Blockbuster back when those were a thing the DVD cover was this...

[Image: intruder.jpg]

Last I saw it it was this:

[Image: intruder%201988%20blu-ray1a.jpg]
1.) FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 
2.) FRIDAY THE 13th PART VI: JASON LIVES

I decked out my living room with spooky lights and candles and a gigantic tub of Halloween candy the previous weekend and had some friends from work over Friday night for a mini-marathon with some pizzas and beer. I finally upgraded to Blu-ray with this series when I bought the 8-movie box set last week. The 3D transfer on PART 3 works slightly better than it’s SD counterpart, but goddamn is it still a headache and the illusion fell apart completely the moment I had the mildest buzz. 

We still had a ton of fun with the flick but PART VI went over gangbusters with my friends, most of whom were in their early-mid 20’s and hadn’t seen it yet. They had a goddamn blast and one girl was particularly upset when the Sheriff who looks like John Carpenter gets bent over backward. 

It’s still by-far the most cinematic and crowd-pleasing of the series. It was the first I ever saw and after this viewing it’s still my favorite.
VI is definitely my fave. I always think of it as "the one with Horshack."
VI is what I'd recommend to folks who aren't typically fans of slasher films. It's a crowd-pleasing slasher!
It's much more fun to watch part 3 with the 3d off and still react to all the goofy 3d shots like you're seeing them.

AAAH YoYo!

AAAH joint being passed!

AAAH eye pop!

Guy walking on his hands and getting chopped in half is one my favourite Jason kills.
KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE

Last night I saw Criss Angel perform live at the Oncenter in Syracuse. My favorite part of the show (not counting any time his INSANELY attractive Russian assistant Tatiana appeared on stage) was when he did a trick involving someone dressed up as one of the Killer Klowns. The movie still holds up thanks in large part to its clever script and that super catchy theme song by The Dickies. While it's more comedy than horror, the ventriloquist scene with the cop (played by the underrated John Vernon) is actually kind of creepy. The Chiodo Brothers mentioned on a DVD commentary that they planned on making a sequel but this was in the early '00s. I know Syfy owns the rights to the Klowns (as well as Critters) so we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the franchise. Available on Prime.

2019 RANKING:

1. IT (2017)
2. KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE (1988)
3. IT CHAPTER TWO (2019)
4. WITHIN THE WOODS (1978)
5. FRIDAY THE 13TH: VENGEANCE (2019)

I thought about seeing 3 From Hell tonight but the only theater it's playing at is right near where my Ex used to live. If I wanted to be depressed while watching a Rob Zombie movie, I'd just rent Halloween.
Mangy Wrote:TCM 2 is like sentient cocaine.
I'm going to see 3 from Hell tonight and I don't care whose ex is there!
TRAPPED ASHES

Seven strangers on a Hollywood studio tour (including John Saxon and Dr. Klopek from The Burbs) find themselves trapped on a horror movie set. As they look for a way out, they trade their own private horror stories.

Horror anthologies are probably my favorite horror subgenre and I'm always trying to find a good one that I've never seen before. Trapped Ashes sounded promising. It had segments directed by Sean S. Cunningham, Joe Dante and KEN RUSSELL.Things started well enough with a wraparound story that evoked the great Amicus anthologies. For the most part, though, it's a mixed bag.

Russell's was probably the best of the lot. It's about an aspiring actress who gets breast implants made from cadavers, which then turn ravenous. I still have issues with it. On the one hand, the desperate measures that a woman takes to make it in Hollywood seems like the perfect subject matter for someone with such a  seemingly cynical worldview. On the other hand, the whole thing felt beneath Russell's talents. I mean, this is the man who directed THE DEVILS and here he is making a movie about killer tits. I'm not saying he hasn't directed weird horror before but there's so many cheap B movies involving killer tits that it could be it's own subgenre (Mausoleum, Evil Bong, Killer Rack). I guess I expected something crazier and more interesting from him. 

The other stories include a woman who has sex with a corpse and gets dragged to Japanese Hentai Hell (huh), a rather straightforward and boring love triangle gone wrong and a young girl who becomes overly attached to a tapeworm....which of course leads to more Hentai. That last one gets creativity points for just how fucking weird it gets, but a last minute twist leaves us with a rather mundane resolution. I don't know....It's not the worst anthology I've ever seen (Oh Hi Creepshow 3), but I don't see myself revisiting this one. And considering the talent behind the camera, that's pretty disappointing. Available on Tubi.

2019 RANKING:

1. IT (2017)
3. IT CHAPTER TWO (2019)
6. TRAPPED ASHES (2006)
Well, I saw "3 From Hell." I don't know if it's a horror movie. Whatever it is, it's a movie that I saw.

1) "It: Chapter 2"
2) "3 From Hell"
3) "Skinner"
4) "Satanic Panic"
CEMETERY MAN (1994) aka DELLAMORE DELLAMORTE - Somebody on Letterboxd described this as "Lynch meets Raimi," and that's surprisingly accurate. It's all over the place, almost exhaustingly weird, although the bonkers direction certainly enhanced the bonkers story. The tone change from scene to scene: A zombie movie here, a comedy there, a necrophilic romance over there...it's crazy, and I'm glad I saw it, although this is one of the movies that's so all over the place it kinda wore out its welcome for me by the end. Still, I'm glad I saw it.

In order of preference:

1. RINGU (1998)
2. CEMETERY MAN (1994)
3. CHILD'S PLAY (2019)
4. JASON X (2001)
5. APRIL FOOL'S DAY (1986)

Rewatched: THE THING
Exhaustingly weird is a good way to describe it. The early parts with the zombies are great but the longer the movie went on, the more it frustrated me. Especially that St. Elsewhere ending.

ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK: THE TALE OF THE NIGHT SHIFT

I'm babysitting my nephew today, which normally means an all day marathon of Pixar movies. I finally got him to take a nap so I figured I'd kill 20 minutes by watching a cheesy show from my own childhood. Emmanuelle Chriqui plays a nurse being stalked by a vampire in hospital populated by like 5 people. As you might expect, there's lots of overacting and bad effects. The design for the vampire is decent though and the idea that's it's going after easy prey in a hospital would actually make for a good horror movie plot. One line that stuck with me as a kid that still manages to be kind of disturbing is when the vampire tells Chriqui that he's going to drop her off a building and lick up the remains. Otherwise, it's kind of forgettable. But if you have nothing better to watch, it makes for an okay time waster. On Dailymotion.

2019 RANKING:

1. IT (2017)
3. IT CHAPTER TWO (2019)
6: ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK: THE TALE OF THE NIGHT SHIFT (1996)
7. TRAPPED ASHES (2006)
DEADLY FRIEND (1986) - I guess this only technically counts as horror because all of the gore was added during reshoots, but this was still okay . . . Craven's movies always had weird pacing to me, and my attention waned at times during this. I was mostly struck with the robot's non-stop jibber-jabber. Why would you program your robot to yammer to itself?

JU-ON: THE GRUDGE (2002) - I saw the remake and barely remember it, but I really liked this. It's almost literally HORROR SETPIECE: THE MOVIE, and there's a wisp of story here, but it's mostly about delivering nightmare fuel, and it certainly did that for me. It's maybe 20 minutes too long, and a hair too repetitive, but it's still frequently creepy as hell.

In order of preference:

1. JU-ON: THE GRUDGE (2002)
2. RINGU (1998)
3. CEMETERY MAN (1994)
4. CHILD'S PLAY (2019)
5. JASON X (2001)
6. DEADLY FRIEND (1986)
7. APRIL FOOL'S DAY (1986)

Rewatched: THE THING
Deadly Friend has one of the best deaths ever featured in a horror movie.
"PREDATOR 2 feels like it was penned by convicts as part of a correctional facility's creative writing program, and that's what I love about it." - Moltisanti
That moment is incredible, yes.
FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE (1974)

Now this is more like it. This is a solid horror anthology that also features my other favorite subgenre. Peter Cushing owns an antique shop that's full of cursed objects. The movie features four vignettes in which people either cheat Cushing out of an item or flat out steal from him and suffer the consequences. The best one has David Warner purchasing a bloodthirsty mirror that orders him to kill....and kill....and kill. While I thought Asylum, Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror (which I might revisit next month) were better, I still really enjoyed this one.

2019 RANKING:

1. IT (2017)
3. IT CHAPTER TWO (2019)
5. FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE (1974)
6. FRIDAY THE 13TH: VENGEANCE (2019)
7. ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK: THE TALE OF THE NIGHT SHIFT (1996)
8. TRAPPED ASHES (2006)
You simply can't go wrong with an Amicus anthology. I find FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE to be their weakest, but it's still a good time.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.