Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norm Macdonald
20 years ago today...

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 6hIUsc3.jpg]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]
First time I saw it was in college when it played at a music venue that would sometimes show movies on off nights, probably a month or so after it opened. We all yelled "Bob Saget?!" in unison, none of us had any idea he directed it. And between the Rickles and fish scenes, there were times when I thought I really might pass out from laughing.
That dumpster stunt looked like it hurt.
Saw it opening night in the Bay Area. Theater was packed and everyone was having a blast. I took this anecdotal evidence as proof that the film would be a huge hit and Norm was ready to join the A-list of comedic motion picture stars.

I recall a few days later picking up an old timey newspaper where they'd print the top box office performers. Was astonished that DIRTY WORK didn't even beat out THE HORSE WHISPERER's fifth week. Beyond crestfallen.
I bought the store-used copy of the VHS as soon as they made it available at Blockbuster. I got my parents to watch it when I was at home during that brief post-college looking for a job period. They both enjoyed it, somewhat shockingly.
This movie was my introduction to "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)". Thanks to it, I still can't hear that shitty, shitty song without a smile on my face. Hell, half the time just hearing the name of the drink does it.
"Rolling Stones! Street Fighting Man! G7!!!"
Was reading the New York Times' misguided review of the film and this is how it opens:

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/13/movie...ttack.html

Quote:If you thought the Asian economy was bad, try assessing the state of film comedy on the basis of ''Dirty Work.'' Phrases like terminally stupid and brain dead leap readily to mind.

Was the Asian economy in real bad shape in the summer of '98? Must have been tanking hard for it to be referenced right off the bat like that.
I didn't realize Dennis Miller was the NYT film critic in '98.

(actually Miller loves Norm)
Hi, real cops?
"I have to go...lift weights.  WHAT??"
“I gotta good mind to go to the warden about this! Way outta line! Way outta line!... RIDICULOUS!”
"It rhymes with COCK!"

Jack Warden, man. Now there was a mold broken.
I think it was one of Norm's last Letterman appearances where he tells the story about Warden forgetting his lines when he guest starred on Norm: "Normie, Normie, Normie...hockey, Norm."