Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norm Macdonald
Oh yes, Jordan Petersen.

AKA Dr. Boogeyman.

Dr. Boogeyman?
home taping is killing music
(09-12-2018, 12:47 PM)Evi Wrote: Ahahaha Alex Proyas also had a long rant about how much he loves Peterson.

When did he get tuned?
Oh, oh Norm...

https://deadline.com/2018/09/norm-macdon...202463973/
He owned up to it. Good for him.

The Social Justice Committee declares him...UNPROBLEMATIC. But he's on probation until he says nice things about Nanette. Wink
home taping is killing music
“It’s always bad when you have to apologize for the apology.”

Let's be honest, Norm is nothing short of magnificent even when he's being a massive fuck up.
(09-13-2018, 06:11 PM)boone daniels Wrote: The Social Justice Committee declares him...UNPROBLEMATIC. But he's on probation until he says nice things about Nanette.
I imagine that would be on of those things where he would try to say it, start stuttering and then pass out.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Harsh review.  Even when you put a paper bag over the writer's issue with recent events, you sense that there may be some growing pains.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review...m=referral

Quote:The first show — each is a little more than half an hour — features David Spade and, as a side note, it might be the best and funniest Spade talk show appearance in recent memory. Spade is focused, on his game and tells a few choice stories that are honest and funny and even enlightening. But mostly what he does is note that the show seems beyond low-rent (which is intentional) but poorly executed and ill-conceived, which it is. Spade notices that the host is not listening and cutting him off on several occasions. Eventually he shifts from making light of it to saying, at one point, "Give them a fucking second to laugh," referring to the collection of people who are not really an audience per se but are there in the dark corners of the broom closet where the show is filmed.

Spade knows Macdonald, he gets Macdonald. But it's interesting to note that several times Spade's face gives way to a look of concern that, yes, this really is an omnishambles situation with no real exit. Macdonald seems barely coherent at times: forgetful, directionless, uninterested and distracted. It gets so bad that Spade says, in all sincerity, "Is this going to go down as a test show?" He repeats the funny and accurate "test show" remark again, seemingly sincerely worried.

Quote:In addition to the rampant interrupting of his guests' stories (and their answers to questions he posed), Macdonald seems to forget names he's about to reference. He seems to lose track of stories he's telling — and no, not in that patented Macdonald way of yore. This seems different. This seems off.

There's no flow to a conversation. There's no follow-up. At one point, Macdonald asks Letterman a question and Letterman says, "I'm surprised by this, but it's a good question" — getting a laugh but also making a point.

"They are going to have to lease editing equipment for this," Letterman says, looking around at what is clearly a show that's off the rails before it even starts. And when he says, "I'm not coming back, Norm," it seems less a joke about the chaos around him than a true statement. A few minutes later, when another of Macdonald's bits doesn't work, Letterman actually gets up and leaves.

Yikes! Though it also sounds well worth a look.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
There’s a Jon-Erik Hexum joke 10 minutes into the first episode. Norm’s still got it.
Watched the Chevy episode. Chevy's impression of John Belushi blowing his nose is wonderful.
I just noticed Adam Eget’s part of the desk is a few inches lower than the rest.
Watched the first episode. David Spade is actually a charming guest and has some great stories but Norm never gets a good flow going. Constantly interrupting him and pointing out his next question. It's pretty much exactly like his youtube series in that Norm is a fun enough character that I sort of enjoying watching him but can't help feeling that talk-show host isn't exactly the best use of his talents.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
Pretty good interview with Macdonald and Eget.  They show up in the latter part of the show.

EDIT: Looks like you gotta follow the link.

Watched the Letterman, Chevy Chase, and Lorne Michaels episodes tonight. The Letterman one was plain uncomfortable at times (isn’t he a producer?), the Chase episode was fucking great, and the Michaels one was okay. Always enjoy more historical discussion of SNL, but not many laugh out loud moments.

Any suggestions as to which to go for next?  Erring towards Keaton or Barrymore.
If you're happy, you're not paying attention.

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny: 
Glad that you guys worked that out amongst yourselves.

(09-14-2018, 10:00 AM)Alt-molt Wrote: Watched the Chevy episode. Chevy's impression of John Belushi blowing his nose is wonderful.
The one-two punch of that and Norm’s fly on the wall joke killed me.
A friend of mine who hadn't seen the youtube show is getting Pepe Frog vibes from Eget.

We know Norm is in the early stages of brain worms with his Jordan Peterson fandom, but what about Eget?
(09-15-2018, 11:49 PM)Neil Spurn Wrote: Any suggestions as to which to go for next?  Erring towards Keaton or Barrymore.

The Keaton one was fun. Norm brought up that Sam Kinison claimed to have been the original choice for Beetlejuice which Keaton wasn't buying.

Haven't watched the Barrymore one yet.
Barrymore is good, Norm’s pretty charmed by her. Fonda, on the other hand, he’s flat-out in love with.
For folks wondering about that closing number, this is the classic Canadian show from which it came.

Watched the Shyamalan episode. Not a ton of laughs but was still a good watch. They get into why he believes he was able to come out of his slump and his overall process for coming up with ideas.
Yeah, some real substance to that one. I liked the comparison with Dylan trying to recapture his early days.

Billy Joe Shaver episode was as great as I hoped. I think that one and Keaton have been the highlights for me so far, although Judge Judy was the only one I thought was a dud. I’ve only got Lorne left to go.
Dear God, watching Norm McDonald apologize on The View... that was hard to watch. You could tell he wanted to die.

That clip reminded me of Stephen Fry's character being forced to apologize for what he said in V For Vendetta (and there isn't a lot to remember about that movie).

Drew Barrymore episode was my everything.

"Did Cledus call you a legend?!"  "Uh-huh."

"The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol

Sure wish I could have another round"
"Nah, actors look at me like vampires look at Count Chocula."
My favorite aspect of the Lorne Michaels episode is how slightly put off Michaels was by all of Norm's questions regarding THE THREE AMIGOS.
(09-19-2018, 02:34 PM)catartik Wrote: Dear God, watching Norm McDonald apologize on The View... that was hard to watch. You could tell he wanted to die.
I know....I know.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Watched the David Spade episode. Definitely the closest in tone to the YouTube version.

Pretty much lost all faculties when Spade talked about snorting B12 when he was in LIGHT SLEEPER and Norm dropped a "John-Erik Hexum" on him.
YES. I had to pause it and pull myself together, then explain the story of JEH to my wife. I also had to text Nick, with whom I’ve been making Hexum references since we met.
It's one of those incidents that I doubt I've thought about once in the last 20 years. As soon as Norm said it it came back to me in an instant.
Was Norm yanked from Conan tonight? I hope not, Norm can hold a grudge. Ah well, who doesn’t want to see Tim Allen.

Don't know if it was a yank on Conan's part. Hope not. With everything going on it feels like Norm's bugaboos were years ago so I can't see Conan feeling like he can't have Norm on right now.