Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better Call Saul

Perhaps. But it's likely Saul only had one PI, why would he need more as he's small time enough? He has Mike, and he trusts Mike and Mike gets things done. But a Freelance PI is not a full time staff member (Huell was essentially a bodyguard). He'd be working for many lawyers and such in the area, being called on commission when needed.

Saul is Mike's PI, but I don't think there would have been any expectation of exclusivity.

And if not Mike, there has to be another connection between Gus and Saul, because he is the one who set that up with Walt wasn't he? Certainly possible, it just seems neater to assume it was Mike. That's not Saul realising Mike is Head of Security for Los Pollos Hermanos and Chief Enforcer. It's just that "Mike knows a guy".

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

The idea that Mike wouldn't have made all the money he needed as Gus's right-hand man, and indeed, that he wouldn't have been way too busy to moonlight as a fixer for Saul, was always one of the least plausible things about Breaking Bad. About the only way I can swallow it is if Mike was literally only "promoted" within Gus's organization right at the beginning of S3, which sooooort of makes sense since Gus was stepping up his game as he prepared to get his revenge on the cartel. But it always seemed like Mike and Gus had known each other for a long time and had a level of trust and respect that doesn't fully jibe with this idea. But hey, maybe the point of adding him to the story is to hack through this particular continuity knot.

For me, it was Gus''s total anonymity that was an issue for me. I had no problem with a carefully crafted image of a 'legitimate businessman', but the FBI and DEA always know who these people are, they just can't prove it. In Gus's case, it's not that he was 'powerful enough that they couldn't take him down without proof', the DEA REALLY thought he was a genuine business man.

Gus's gimmick was that he could reasonably claim that there were rogue elements in his organization and all the modules of his operation couldn't report on the other. As such, there was no way to connect the Meth with him or his organisation. Brilliant, I've got no problem with that.

Except he then has a face to face meeting with two low level street dealers (the two that Walt ran over with the Aztek)? That's not exactly maintaining going to help your cover is it, if you are that Hands On?

To be fair, Gus being audience to this attempt to broker peace between Jesse and the dealers was clearly special circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

To be fair, Gus being audience to this attempt to broker peace between Jesse and the dealers was clearly special circumstances.

Mike could have easily acted as a proxy for Gus in this case, but seeing as this situation could have resulted in the death of Jesse, Gus's prized meth cook's partner/protégé, it makes sense that he would choose to forcefully broker the peace in person. I think the scene would have worked with Mike, but it provides a greater shock to Jesse and takes on a richer dramatic quality with Fring in the flesh.

This is starting to sound too tied in with Breaking Bad, I'd rather it wasn't hindered in that way and was more like an alternate universe with Saul or even just a new character in the same vein.

I want Lionel Hutz The Series not The Breaking Bad Variety Comedy Hour With Your Host Saul Goodman.

Mike being in a prequel series is not stretching it at all. I expected (really hoped) Banks would get the chance to work with Gilligan and co. again. The only reason I imagined he wouldn't be in the show was that he was booked. Gives Banks another shot at an emmy, so fuck yeah.

Walt and his family cannot directly cross paths with Saul, so any cameos with them will be indirect and probably cutesy.

Although it has to be said that Hank and maybe even Jesse (and his pals) are workable as guest stars.

Some scant new details about the show's cast beyond Saul and Mike:

Quote:

Now I’m told Vince Gilligan, Peter Gould et al have added some characters to the new show, which will revolve around the law office and the court.

They include regular players named Burt, Dr. Thurber, Beth, Eddie, and Zak and Luke. Burt is described as a “Kennedy” type lawyer in a white-shoe law firm. Dr. Thurber and Beth are also supposed to be lawyers. Eddie is a career criminal, a cool guy who speaks Spanish. Zak and Luke are skateboarding twins around 20 years old.

ASo unnecessary.

Yeah, but we love you anyway, ya big galoot.

Michael McKean gets cast, because why the hell not?  The one-sentence character description:

Quote:

McKean will play a new character, Dr. Thurber, a brilliant attorney who is now restricted by an unusual affliction.

I'm beginning to suspect this proposed spin-off is actually an elaborate April Fool's joke, the punchline set to be revealed just shy of a year from now.

Filming begins today on the show.  Are we excited?

The rumors continue to swirl about Cranston and Paul cameos, but I'd trade those and a superfluous organ for an announcement that David Cross will be a recurring performer.

The show's premiere has been pushed from November to "early 2015."  However, AMC has confirmed that they ordered two seasons right out the gate, House of Cards style.  Sounds like we get a 10-episode first season followed by a 13-episode second season.

At least there's something to wash the bad taste of TWD out of our mouthes.

Quote:
The series is set six years before Saul Goodman meets Walter White. When we meet him, the man who will become Saul Goodman is known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet. Working alongside, and, often, against Jimmy, is “fixer” Mike Ehrmantraut, a beloved character introduced in ‘Breaking Bad.’ The series will track Jimmy’s transformation into Saul Goodman, the man who puts “criminal” in “Criminal lawyer.” The series’ tone is dramatic, woven with dark humor.

Gus, there’s so much more we have to say about that character… Having said that, we’re trying to make something that stands on its own, that has an entertainment value that’s not just seeing a series of old favorites, or ‘Remember when?’ It’s not the series equivalent of a clip show. We try to balance these things out. But I agree that there’s so much to be said about Gus.

http://www.slashfilm.com/better-call-sail-plot-details/

ASo are Odenkirk and Banks going to be subjected to heavy make-up every day of production, or are they just going to say fuck it and we'll all just agree that they're ten years younger?

I demand wraparounds of present-day Saul regaling the adventures to young patrons of the Kansas Cinnabon he co-manages a la The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

Alan Sepinwall's live blog of Gilligan and Gould's appearance at the TCAs.

After reading that, I'm very very excited about the show now.

Quote:

What about these reports that the show might be non-linear and present stories that take place during and even after the events of "Breaking Bad"? "The best way to answer this and not get yelled at," Gilligan says, "is you saw from 'Breaking Bad' that we like non-linear storytelling. We like jumping around in time. I would definitely point you in the direction that anything that was possible in 'Breaking Bad' is possible in 'Better Call Saul.'"

Excited as hell.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
ATo me the most exciting part is how they've described the tone they're going with. I think Odenkirk can support it.

Two stills from the pilot:

McKean's character is referred to as Saul's ill brother Chuck McGill (which conflicts with his original character description).  I can't help but think he represents Saul's motivation for "breaking bad" himself.  The dramatic potential here is enticing.

I love the casting of McKean as Saul's brother.

Another article item that interested me: It appears the show will be serialized and not a typical "case of the week" type of show:

Quote:

Gould says it's not out of the question that they might do standalone episodes, but it doesn't seem to be working that way so far. Gilligan says they talked about many different iterations, including a basic case of the week (he compares it to "Dr. Katz"), but says "It's really hard to reinvent the wheel. There's really only one wheel." They want the new show to have the Swiss watch precision of the old one, and some of the same feel.

I'm okay with that!

That both intrigues and worries me. I'm hoping that the new setting and characters lend themselves to such tight plotting because I can easily imagine them overreaching and trying to make a second BREAKING BAD.

It seems like the concept of what the show was to be evolved quite a bit in the brainstorming.  Tonally, they're certainly veering more dramatic than they supposed they would be aiming for last fall (when they speculated it would be three parts comedy to one part drama).

More exciting news is we have a director's list for the first five episodes - they'll all Breaking Bad vets:

101 - Vince Gilligan

102 - Michelle MacLaren

103 - Terry McDonough

104 - Colin Bucksey

105 - Adam Bernstein

It's not really a new setting, is it Evi?  I think they're having it take place in Albuquerque.

Yeah still Albuquerque as far as i know, though the setting will probably be different simply by virtue of their following Saul to court and not taking place in the meth-world.

The "non-linear time" thing is very exciting to me, as I really want to see them explore Saul's life both before AND after (and during?) the events of Breaking Bad. You know they're going to use that as an excuse to bring Cranston back. (If Mike is a huge part of the show, and they get anywhere near the BB timeline, they're pretty much going to HAVE to get Cranston back...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Yeah still Albuquerque as far as i know, though the setting will probably be different simply by virtue of their following Saul to court and not taking place in the meth-world.

The way I interpreted it, the story, at least for the first season, seems to be how he became forced to change his name to Saul Goodman. I wouldn't be surprised if it took place in a different city.

Have nothing to add except that I'm so excited for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mangy View Post

The way I interpreted it, the story, at least for the first season, seems to be how he became forced to change his name to Saul Goodman. I wouldn't be surprised if it took place in a different city.

Which he pretty much explained in BB.  The "homies" all had the notion that a Jew lawyer was the best to have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

I demand wraparounds of present-day Saul regaling the adventures to young patrons of the Kansas Cinnabon he co-manages a la The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

How I Met Walter White?

Someone snapped a photo of a billboard that's popped up in Albuquerque recently...

The number works...call it and you'll smile.

If you can't get through, here's the answering machine recording.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

The number works...call it and you'll smile.

If you can't get through, here's the answering machine recording.

Haha, is he doing F.F. Woodycooks? SHAKE THE CRIME STICK!

I guess I've been assuming he'd be forced into some kind of relocation scheme (hence how he came to be acquainted with Bob Forrester's services?), thus precipitating the name change. It would be a stretch to assume that Mike started out working for Saul -- or some other outfit -- in another city and the two wound up relocating to ABQ *together* and working for Gus, however. If the show jumps around in time this could still be workable -- with the main action taking place in New Mexico, pre-Walter White, and flashbacks detailing Jimmy's earlier travails (or vice-versa, but with flashforwards). The simplest explanation is that they're in Albuquerque from day one, however, and the name-change is just a contrivance drummed up to generate buzz going into the premiere.

We know the show is being filmed in Albuquerque, at any rate.

A new interview with Bryan Cranston indicates that he will be directing an episode of the show next year.