Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better Call Saul

My favorite vague description was Breaking Bad's Granite State, which was everyone struggles to adapt to changing circumstances, or something like that.

So is the bouncing back and forth between time periods (presumably when he's managing a Cinnabon) still on? Or are they saving that for later seasons?

ACan't wait for this. If it's even half as good as BB, I'm in for the long haul.

AMC has released a web comic concerning Saul and Mike that takes place during Breaking Bad Season 2.  It's meant to shed some light on their relationship, which always begged questions.  (Namely: How was Mike Saul's on-demand cleaner/PI and head of security for Gus?)

They even tie into a Season 2 deleted scene where Saul gets a yearbook showing that Walt's a high school teacher.  See it at 2:33 below.

Here's a great review/article that's pretty much exactly what you'd want to hear about this show.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectu...-pays-off/

Bump...

The first half was seriously bumming me out seeing how f'd up Saul's life was....then, in the 2nd half, when he starts to exercise his sneaky lawyer superpowers it became more fun to watch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

The first half was seriously bumming me out seeing how f'd up Saul's life was....then, in the 2nd half, when he starts to exercise his sneaky lawyer superpowers it became more fun to watch.

I'm guessing that the point which we open is NOT the end point of the show.  When we get to that point and where it goes from there remains to be seen.

APlease tell me that Saul dies at the end of the pilot and "Breaking Bad" is his deathdream.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

Please tell me that Saul dies at the end of the pilot and "Breaking Bad" is his deathdream.

Its a fate worse than death....

I'll be bold enough to say that this is up there with the Breaking Bad pilot although your mileage may vary if you haven't seen the previous series.   I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it because it was pretty good IMHO.

As invested as I was and still hold BrBa dear to my black heart, I think Uno may be a tad better than the Pilot of the former series.  That may be unfair considering how far Gilligan and company have come but I'm loving this thing so far.  It's tight, tight, tight!

Odenkirk is such an endearing presence. I'd be willing to follow him and root for him no matter how far he goes.

Thoughts on Mike as pay parking officer? I thought it was an apt starting point for him. Trying to make ends meet after his reputable career has ended and before his final venture begins.

Favourite part: Everything that happened in the boardroom. And cucumber water is for clients only.

Well I'm fucking hooked. That was mesmerizing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAncient View Post

Odenkirk is such an endearing presence. I'd be willing to follow him and root for him no matter how far he goes.

Thoughts on Mike as pay parking officer? I thought it was an apt starting point for him. Trying to make ends meet after his reputable career has ended and before his final venture begins.

Favourite part: Everything that happened in the boardroom. And cucumber water is for clients only.

I'm not entirely sure if Mike is an actual pay parking officer.  It could be a front for a job he is doing or something(or he is really starting out at that point)

My favorite scene in the episode was the sequence with Saul in the parking garage with the lady attorney.

I think the show hooked me when the DA simply wheeled out the VCR and played the tape.   You knew it was something horrible and hilarious.   I was in at that point.

Hey, this looks real good! I happen to think the BrBa pilot is one of the best I've ever seen, so I'd rate that above this, but it clearly looks like no one forgot how to make a TV show since last we saw them. I'll be watching this and rooting for it.

Very intrigued in whatever they're planning with his brother's storyline. I think that's going to end up being great.

One of the better pilots I've seen, so I'll give it a shot.

Odenkirk is the man.

Also, Tony Montana's mother at the end of the episode kinda hinted something was up!

(He's no good. Gina.....he's no goooooood)

So that's 3 from Scarface.

Did a great job balancing its nods to BB while establishing its own "universe." Hard to fathom this not working.

Gave this a shot because of Odenkirk and was very glad that I did. He's always been a welcome presence in the shows I've watched and it's great to see a show centred on his aptitude for playing the underdog. It will be interesting to see where his fake name comes from (because there's got to be a story behind that), how he ended up quitting law and working in the fast food industry, and how Mike becomes involved in crime when he's seemingly just a ticket attendant dude. Feels like there's a lot of potential here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

It will be interesting to see where his fake name comes from (because there's got to be a story behind that),

Also...

S'all good, man.

Quote:

how he ended up quitting law and working in the fast food industry,

Haha, man you really didn't like "Breaking Bad. Did you watch the final season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiav View Post

Oh ok. I'm betting there's still some sort of story behind it, though. I'll be proved right!

Quote:

Haha, man you really didn't like "Breaking Bad. Did you watch the final season?

Some of it.

Isn't all the foundation as to why McGill becomes Goodman pretty much laid out in the first episode?  Thats the impression I got at least.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the actual name itself. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't help wonder if they'll give us a reason why he went with "Saul Goodman" in particular.

Better Call Saul breaks cable records

Quote:

S'all good, man.

Unless they decided to create some other reason (beyond the "Jewish name" reasoning), it's basically telling his clients ...

"It's all good, man....I'm gonna take care of you"

Wait, Monday at 10 pm is BCS actual time slot?  Why not just give it Breaking Bad's old slot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by machiav View Post

Unless they decided to create some other reason (beyond the "Jewish name" reasoning), it's basically telling his clients ...

"It's all good, man....I'm gonna take care of you"

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I've watched too many "origin" movies where even the minutest detail is explained away, so now I expect silly stuff like that. Stupid Hollywood.

What a perfect premiere. This has that pitch perfect balance of comedy, drama and heaps of pathos. Something so few shows even attempt let alone get right. Reminds me a bit of Fargo, which was one of the best surprises in recent memory.

That was a fantastic follow up episode.  Even better than the pilot.

I'm kinda trying to figure out what Saul's brothers affliction is:

Did he have a nervous breakdown?
AGreat episode Im enjoying this show.Bob odenkirk is giving his all on the show

http://collider.com/better-call-saul-bob...interview/

Operation Kingbreaker. Tough but fair. God bless this show.

"I'm the best lawyer, ever" and the All That Jazz references.

This show is off to a roaring start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckuss Zuckuss View Post

I'm kinda trying to figure out what Saul's brothers affliction is:

Definitely seems like a psychological break.