Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better Call Saul
See, I'm riveted by the Mike storyline, because I want to know who was right.  I don't think Werner's behavior is entirely about missing his wife or cracking due to prolonged confinement - he fears for his life.  Mike seems to be under the impression that he can protect these guys, that he somehow intervened on Werner's behalf, and Werner repaid him with betrayal.

But it may be Mike who is the sap. He is not the boss, ultimately, and is it completely out of character for Gus to kill all the Germans in the end as a precaution, or at least Werner for his original indiscretion? And if it bears out that Werner was a dead man anyway, then his actions are validated, because he is taking his only chance (however remote) of getting out alive.
Yeah, I'm all in on the Mike/Superlab storyline as well. Again, I like watching the process of how things are built. Add in the excellent Werner character and the almost brotherly relationship between him and Mike and you can see that shit's gonna end tragically.
I think my issue is that I thought the show already showed the death of Mike's son as the great tragedy in his life. Killing Werner doesn't carry that weight for me because Mike is already "broken," in a sense. Mike being filled with regret about killing someone now that he's working for one of the Southwest's biggest crime bosses feels a little disingenuous.
Well, the thing is, Mike respects Werner while also liking him. Werner knows his shit and doesn't bullshit around, much like Mike. They're both quietly competent and can relate to one another. As such, their friendship absolutely makes sense. Considering that Mike shuts himself off from developing attachments to people outside of his daughter in law and granddaughter, his relationship with Werner comes across as being very fulfilling. This betrayal by Werner is going to shut Mike down even further.
Yeah, this whole Werner thing strikes me as showing us exactly how Mike lost all warmth for anybody but his remaining family. We have to see the specifics of how it plays out next week, but I think it's a worthy addition to the show - and the character - on that level.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
Is there anyway Gus kills Werner without having to kill the whole crew? I don't think they've laid the groundwork for Mike to be okay with that kind of massacre, even if he's not the one pulling the trigger. Maybe an "accident" in the superlab site that killed everyone would give Gus some plausible deniability, but that's a lot of work to ease Mike's conscience. Or does Gus immediately bring Mike under his thumb by threatening his granddaughter? Even that seems like a short-term solution to keep Mike at bay when just killing Mike would eliminate the problem. Mike's been useful to Gus, but he's still a relatively new hire and not exactly essential to the operation.

And Mike knows all this, so his best option is probably to catch Werner and talk him into coming back. Even if Werner succeeds in disappearing, it seems like the crew would still be highly suspicious and thus at risk.

I really hope we're heading for some kind of Gus versus Mike scenario next season.
I can't see them going with a serious Gus and Mike at odds with each other scenario. Mike was way too loyal to Gus and Gus certainly did right by Mike during Breaking Bad for them to make a 'Gus and Mike tried to kill each other once' storyline really stick.
As Fafhrd says, Mike was too much of a Gus fanboy in BB to have them genuinely at each other's throats in BCS.

I'm a bit confounded why they haven't leaned more on Nacho in that side of the story, since he has the least baggage constraining where his storylines can go.
I think it's safe to say that Mike will blame himself rather than Gus for whatever fate befalls any of the Germans.
Mike's gonna have to make this all right with Gus. Making it 'all right' will mean disposing of the Germans entirely.
It will be interesting see how this whole experience informs Mike's relationship with the "nine guys" he goes on to recruit.  It is his loyalty to that team that ultimately brings him down in Breaking Bad.
I keep thinking back to a line in Breaking Bad (from episode 502: "Madrigal") where Mike tells Lydia off after she proposes that they kill the men that remain on Gus's payroll (aka "Mike's guys") after the kingpin's death.  He says, "Now I don’t know what kind of movies you’ve been watching, but here in the real world we don’t kill eleven people as some kind of prophylactic measure."
Rewatching the episode, the superlab stuff worked much better for me, but that bell monologue is the Breaking Bad version of midichlorians.

Also, Rhea Seehorn is a damn treasure. So, so good.
I loved the bell scene so much, beautifully performed and written. I don't really care if they do prequel-y stuff, just as long as they do it *well* and it deepens my enjoyment of what's to come. Which is why for me the Bell scene is fantastic but some rando at a train station going "I'll call you Han....hmmm... SOLO!" can go fuck itself.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I still liked the scene, but the prequelness did make me chuckle a little bit.

Oh jeez, SOLO. Bleugh
The nice thing about how they've treated prequel elements is that they've never felt like ticking off boxes. Whether it's introducing Nacho and Lalo, the Gale cameo, the backstory to the bell, it always feels like the writers are challenging to find interesting, organic ways of slotting them in. I mean, the bell capper was nice but what the scene did best was set up Lalo and his weird mix of psychopathy and reverence for Hector.
Superb episode, from the wonderful opening with the brothers, to the very heavy conclusion of the Werner saga. Banks really sold the hell out of what Mike was forced to do.

And Kim’s reaction to Jimmy at the end... devastating.
Yeah, that was a crushing ending.

Rhea Seehorn needs an emmy. NOW.
(10-08-2018, 10:51 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: Rhea Seehorn needs an emmy. NOW.

100%. That emotional turn on a dime she pulled off at the end was incredible.
They should have given Mike a tempermentally-opposite-but-similarly-competent rival years ago. It jazzes up his storyline considerably.
I really thought that there was be some episode where Jimmy lets out his true feelings regarding Chuck. Just another instance of the writers proving how amazing they are at zigging when you expect them to zag.
Only thing missing from Lalo's ceiling-crawl:

A naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm, and a two-foot salami under the other. She lays the poodle on the table. Bartender says, "I suppose you won't be needing a drink." Naked lady says...

That Lalo ceiling-drop was some serious Pickle Rick-shit.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

hehe, Lalo's descent is probably one of the funniest things they've done on the show.  That character has been gold so far.

[Image: bcs10-lalo.gif]
Man, it really sucks to be a minimum wage front desk employee in New Mexico, be it a car rental or a wire service. Briefly hoped that kid was gonna make it.

So, two strikes with Kim on the letter. Don't think she's gonna wait on a third, and just walk him. It's all good, man.
They've cried wolf so many times at this point about Jimmy crossing the line with Kim that I am assuming their relationship drags painfully on for a while longer.
I think at this point, seeing how Jimmy and Kim's relationship definitively ends (what happens to Kim in general) is what I'm most curious about as we move forward.
The guy Lalo killed at TravelWire started out doing open mics here in Nashville before moving to LA. Good for him!

Incredible episode. Every scene was a knockout.
That could have been the series finale and I'd be okay with it. While Mike and Jimmy haven't quite hit bottom yet, their falls are all but over.

That shot of Mike and Werner silhouetted against the desert sky was goddamn artwork.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
Man, as much as I like this show, I didn't realize how badly it needed a Lalo-type character until we got Lalo. I can't wait for Season 5.
The Mike and Werner scene was heartbreaking, at the very least Mike was able to save his wife who no doubt was going to be killed by Gus's men.

It seems that they have almost gotten caught up with the BB timeline and yet here's an article with Peter Gould essentially saying there's a lot more story to tell with Saul Goodman before Walter White comes into his life.

https://www.vox.com/i-think-youre-intere...ner-ending

Was a Lalo a character from the BB universe or is he new. Sounds like we've met him before but I don't remember him.
Saul mentions Lalo when Walt and Jesse kidnap him in season 2, but he has never been seen.

Loved season one. Loathed season two (felt like an unnecessary retread). Loved season three.

I am having trouble mustering the enthusiasm to continue with the increasingly fractured/glacially-paced season four.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]