Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank The Phantasm Films

Hello, I've been here for a while but only just now have gotten around to posting. There seem to be quite a fan fans of the Phantasm movie series here, I absolutely love that series and it's by far my favorite Horror series ever, and sadly overlooked by the mainstream. How would you rank the whole saga in order of preference? For me:

Phantasm II

Phantasm

Phantasm IV: Oblivion

Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead

I love them all and wish a fifth would be made already.

Probably my all time favourite horror franchise.  In order:

1 - Phantasm: It's a classic.

2 - Phantasm II: A great follow up in spite of the cast change.  One of the few horror movie sequels that manages the balance of revisiting all the high points of the original with creating new high points of its own and expanding the mythology.

3 - Phantasm: OblIVion: A low budget bittersweet finale to the series that provided as many answers as questions and leaving us with one of cinemas greatest most unresolved cliffhanger.

4 - Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead: Felt like a cynical attempt to marry the franchise into the splatstick genre and find a cult footing without realizing it already had one.

It's my favorite, too. Wish we'd get a part 5 already.

Howdy. Just resurrecting this thread to say I watched all five of these this week after having only seen the first one, and now I'm completely in love with this series. Carry on.

I still have to see Ravager but as of right now:

Phantasm

Phantasm II

Phantasm III

Phantasm IV

Law of diminishing returns, though it sounds like Ravager is an improvement over the last two sequels.

Still pretty fresh to all this, but here's how I'd go:

Phantasm

Phantasm II

Ravager

Phantasm IV

Phantasm III

II and Ravager are pretty much neck and neck in my mind--they accomplish two completely different things, but they both do their jobs so well.

III is a huge step down from the first two and while I liked that Oblivion eliminated the cheese factor (Tim. Tim. TIM!!!!), it's just not that compelling of a film for me. I suppose it's "better" technically and the effort to tie-in the outtakes to the new footage works better than it should but I was bored. III at least kept my attention, save for Tim (TIM!).

I started to have a sinking feeling a few minutes into III. I ended up enjoying it overall, but yeah, easily the weakest of the series. Tim had to be kind of riff on Kevin from Home Alone right? This time just flat out killing the intruders?

IV really clicked for me--the constraints of the budget making it almost kind of a spiritual quest for Mike, the way they worked in the deleted scenes. I don't buy a lot of physical media any more, but I'll probably pull the trigger when they put out the series box set for this.

There's a new sheriff in town!

Jesus Christ. Just looking at that makes me wonder if I need to re-think my rankings.