Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion
This is your semi-regular reminder that The Dark World is a really fun film. In one of the alternate universes created by Endgame, there’s a third a Thor film that matches the tone of the first two and it’s really good.
PSN: Kriegaffe
(05-10-2019, 07:35 AM)MichaelM Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 10:28 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I remember when the original Guardians was too weird for the general public.

In concept, I assume you mean? Since one of the big debates about GOTG (once it was released) was that it wasn't weird enough.

The literal crux of that weirdness argument was entirely Rocket. Basically every single other element is nothing that would be out of place in Star Wars.

Hell, even something very much like Rocket would be at home in Star Wars. That's what Favs was in Solo.
(05-12-2019, 03:56 AM)kriegaffe Wrote: This is your semi-regular reminder that The Dark World is a really fun film. In one of the alternate universes created by Endgame, there’s a third a Thor film that matches the tone of the first two and it’s really good.

I like THE DARK WORLD too!  But in no way, under any circumstances, would I ever trade RAGNAROK for more of it.
If it works for y'all, great, but my recent (leading up to Endgame) MCU rewatch confirmed that, for me, DARK WORLD remains bottom 5 of the franchise.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Even bottom 5 MCU is still something I'd watch as a diversion.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's
(05-15-2019, 09:06 AM)MichaelM Wrote: If it works for y'all, great, but my recent (leading up to Endgame) MCU rewatch confirmed that, for me, DARK WORLD remains bottom 5 of the franchise.

(05-15-2019, 10:28 AM)Richard Dickson Wrote: Even bottom 5 MCU is still something I'd watch as a diversion.

Same-same.  I only got through Phase 2 of a rewatch before ENDGAME, but I'd have DARK WORLD ahead of INCREDIBLE HULK, IRON MAN 2, CAPTAIN MARVEL and THOR 1 at least.

Biggest surprises are how much better ULTRON plays after ENDGAME, and how handily the CAPTAIN AMERICA beats out the other subfranchises in consistent quality.  Many of us thought that he would be the hardest nut to crack in a solo capacity, but WINTER SOLDIER and CIVIL WAR are the cream of the MCU crop.
Once they figured out that Hemsworth is funny, they finally realized what they could do with him.
(05-15-2019, 10:56 AM)schwartz Wrote: I'd have DARK WORLD ahead of INCREDIBLE HULK, IRON MAN 2, CAPTAIN MARVEL and THOR 1 at least.

Maybe? I think they're all pretty bad and I have a hard time imagining  scenario where I voluntarily watch any of them again. I don't recall my specific rankings with these bottom-tier efforts (Ultron's in that mix, too).

The MCU offers plenty of middle tier films ("laundry folding films," as boone put it) that I'll take over these.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
God....Hemsworth in Ghostbusters. I felt second hand embarrassment for the dude.

Saw the new MIB preview before Endgame. I was shocked at how entertaining that looked. I wasn't anticipating that at all but that preview changed my mind. Looked like a blast..
[quote pid='4612608' dateline='1557934394']
Once they figured out that Hemsworth is funny, they finally realized what they could do with him.
[/quote]

It's odd how even the emotional stuff in THOR 33 1/3 and subsequently with Thor the Fatty Fat-Fat works better than in the first two films that played things straighter*.

*relative measure, they're still comedies really
The Incredible Hulk is still the odd duck of the MCU.

Although Civil War/Infinity War/Endgame fixed that some by bringing Ross back. I never expected to see William Hurt again..
I laughed when he was sternly attending the big group shot at the end

“hahahah, hasn’t this guy essentially been a thorn in everyone’s side all this time?”

ROSS: “hehehe that’s what you get for putting me on hold, you prick”
I think he forgot he was chasing the Hulk.

Remember that reporter that essentially did the same thing from the Lou Ferrigno TV show? Didn't he look just like one of the Golden Girls? That's weird..
(05-15-2019, 02:13 PM)Nooj Wrote: I laughed when he was sternly attending the big group shot at the end

“hahahah, hasn’t this guy essentially been a thorn in everyone’s side all this time?”

ROSS: “hehehe that’s what you get for putting me on hold, you prick”

"All this time" is a stretch.  His only appearance post HULK was in CIVIL WAR, and even there the heroes just ignore him for the entire last half of the movie.
Naw, he had a pissy looking hologram in Infinity War that (I think) Cap stayed out of sight of.

Does that count?
the whole time, Schwartz!

THE WHOLE TIME!!!
I think they just brought him back because Gary Shandling and Powers Boothe died..
(05-15-2019, 01:50 PM)schwartz Wrote: [quote pid='4612608' dateline='1557934394']

It's odd how even the emotional stuff in THOR 33 1/3 and subsequently with Thor the Fatty Fat-Fat works better than in the first two films that played things straighter*.

*relative measure, they're still comedies really
[/quote]

"Infinity War" shouldn't go unmentioned. His scenes with Rocket are top shelf.
I meant to include that, but ultimately decided that fully and accurately conveying the thought was not as important as emphasizing a 2nd-rate fat joke.

I expected you, if only you, to understand, Brad.
I have failed you.