Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
It's CHRISTMAS !
Speaking of edgy takes on Santa and the best representation of elves, I think the Santa Clause had both figured out quite well IMO.

I think THE SANTA CLAUSE gets a bit undervalued because the sequels are terrible. That first movie, while not incredible, or anything, is an above-average studio holiday comedy. And I think the father/son relationship really works.
If we can dream it, then we can do it.
THE SANTA CLAUSE was a big one for me growing up, along with HOME ALONE, CHRISTMAS VACATION, and A CHRISTMAS CAROL (the George C. Scott version, AKA the best version), so I do have a soft spot for it. I tend to find Tim Allen insufferable, but he's perfectly utilized in THE SANTA CLAUSE.
(12-13-2018, 04:12 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: A CHRISTMAS CAROL (the George C. Scott version, AKA the best version)

fuzzy is my spirit animal.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Huzzah!

I love that version, and I really don't think its nostalgia talking. Incredibly atmospheric and shot like a straight up horror movie at times.
It's not nostalgia. I've watched it within the last few years. It's the real thing.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I've never seen the George C Scott version. I'll have to get around to doing that before this Christmas.

My wife and I are going to see a stage production of A Christmas Carol in Niagara on the Lake next week. We saw it last year, and it was so good we said we would have to go back. Jacob Marley and the Ghost of Christmas Future are both gigantic puppets. It's really cool.

The GCS version is up on HBO right now.

The Scott version is very good.

I prefer the 1970 musical, SCROOGE, to all others, though.
Yes I am a big fan of the Finney version especially the "Thank you very much" musical number. It's so blackly comic.

I love that Scrooge has no idea the reason they're all so happy is because he's dead. Finney plays it so perfectly.
THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY (1968)

The only one of the classic Rankin/Bass Christmas specials that I have somehow never seen until now.  It’s fascinating to see the stop-motion animation approach applied to territory more often found in Biblical epics like BEN-HUR or KING OF KINGS, and while this is still very much aimed at a child audience, there’s an earnestness and an appropriate reverence for the story that is being depicted.   The music (outside of the famous title song, of course) is forgettable, but there is some surprisingly moody lighting that really gives the production a rich look.  While the first two-thirds is very standard stuff in terms of the story, the last section is quite touchingly rendered, and it concludes things on a pretty high note.  

Christmas Season Viewing (Ranked by Preference)
1.    ON HER MAJESTY’S SECRET SERVICE (1969)
2.    HOME ALONE (1990)
3.    BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)
4.    SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN’ TO TOWN (1970)
5.    EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS (1977)
6.    HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK (1992)
7.    THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY (1968)
8.    A CHRISTMAS CAROL (2009)
9.    CHRISTMAS EVIL aka YOU BETTER WATCH OUT (1980)
10.  ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS (1988)
11.  THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
12.  THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
13.  SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT PART 2 (1987)
14.  CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)
GREMLINS (1984)

Even with the nostalgia blinders removed (as much as possible), I still think this is a really winning, entertaining creature feature/horror/Christmas/comedy hybrid.  Pitched as basically “the town from IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE invaded by monsters,” there’s a delightful playfulness on display here from director Joe Dante; he effortlessly threads the difficult needle of being edgy without being too aggressively mean, being creepy without being too upsetting, being funny without being too goofy, and being heartwarming without being too schmaltzy.  Producer Steven Spielberg’s suggestion to keep Gizmo a sympathetic “good guy” character, rather than have him become a gremlin like in the initial draft of the script, was a genius move, not just because it gives protagonist Billy a sidekick for the duration, but also because it does give the story real heart; we’re invested in the Billy/Gizmo relationship.  The creature effects from Chris Walas still mostly hold up (and even the moments where they kind of don’t are sort of charming), and Jerry Goldsmith’s score is one of his best, fusing together horror, adventure, humor, emotion, and a touch of seasonal color; in particular, his brilliant usage of synthesized cat meows to represent the gremlins is enormously effective and eerie.

2.    HOME ALONE (1990)
3.    GREMLINS (1984)
4.    BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)
5.    SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN’ TO TOWN (1970)
6.    EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS (1977)
7.    HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK (1992)
8.    THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY (1968)
9.    A CHRISTMAS CAROL (2009)
10.  CHRISTMAS EVIL aka YOU BETTER WATCH OUT (1980)
11.  ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS (1988)
12.  THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
13.  THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
14.  SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT PART 2 (1987)
15.  CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)
I remember as a kid being absolutely glued to the screen when Billy’s mom is fending off the Gremlins in the house. It’s even better when you start to realize she is kicking ass.

My favourite part in the movie is when the Gremlins hijack Mr. Futterman’s tractor and burst through the garage with the Gremlin’s theme blaring.

Gremlins is so much fun.

It's great!
(12-14-2018, 09:27 PM)catartik Wrote: I remember as a kid being absolutely glued to the screen when Billy’s mom is fending off the Gremlins in the house. It’s even better when you start to realize she is kicking ass.

I stand by my assertion that if Billy hadn't burst in she'd have ended the movie a good thirty minutes early. It's like Billy burst in just as Ripley's about to open the airlock.
Spending the weekend with one side of my parents' family as a kind of pre-Christmas celebration, and this album has been on heavy rotation...

I know Steamroller's not for everybody, but I really enjoy these arrangements.
I can't get behind Mannheim Steamroller simply because Rush Limbaugh used to endlessly praise them. Anything he likes, I'm just gonna hate on general principle.

I'm struggling to think of any scenario where a political figure or pundit I dislike (which are all of them, basically) could tarnish my own enjoyment of something unrelated to politics, and I'm coming up short.

Don't let it sour you to good seasonal music, Michael! Give 'em a chance... for me!
It's Limbaugh. His foul stench is capable of corrupting just about anything.

Like I've said about Steamroller before, there's some cheese to scrape off, but there's a lot of beautiful music underneath.
Though, honestly, I'll take anything on their Fresh Aire series over the Christmas stuff. If you're gonna do ludicrously overblown Christmas music, might as well go full Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
The Mannheim Steamroller version of Silent Night is my go-to. It’s gorgeous.
(12-16-2018, 10:32 PM)fuzzy dunlop Wrote: The Mannheim Steamroller version of Silent Night is my go-to. It’s gorgeous.

It's a stunner, for sure.

(12-16-2018, 10:15 PM)commodorejohn Wrote: Though, honestly, I'll take anything on their Fresh Aire series over the Christmas stuff. If you're gonna do ludicrously overblown Christmas music, might as well go full Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

I don't mind a little Trans-Siberian now and then!
I enjoy the first Trans-Siberian album (mostly) but I've never felt moved to keep listening to them after that.

Their big hit, "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24", though, still gets me absolutely PUMPED in a way I never thought seasonal music could.

Funny tangent: the first TSO album came out in 1996, the same year that "A Game of Thrones" was published. It's an extraordinarily serendipitous match; TSO's unabashed bombast and metal sensibilities seem perfectly matched with Martin's gritty, hard hitting fantasy story.

Watched a vaguely Christmasy horror flick called DEAD END. A family on their way to a Christmas party gets lost on a deserted road; supernatural shenanigans ensue. Creepy premise, and Ray Wise tends to elevate these kind of things. We also watched the SABRINA Christmas special, which was a lot of fun.

In order of enjoyment:
1. OHMSS
2. THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA (Christmas special)
3. SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 4: INITIATION
4. TRAPPED IN PARADISE
5. DEAD END
6. THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES
7. ALL THE CREATURES WERE STIRRING
8. SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3
CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA - “A Midwinter’s Tale” (2018)

Essentially a bonus episode acting as a kind of midpoint between the first and second seasons, this is much more a continuity-dependent further installment than it is just a one-off Christmas special with these characters, even down to the structure of it; there’s really no attempt to make this satisfying as a standalone story, which is fine for fans, but it also feels a tiny bit like a missed opportunity to do something a little looser.  However, it does feature ample Christmas iconography, as well as some pretty classic needle drops, plus a subplot about a deranged, demonic Santa.  It also has some intentional fun in the way it depicts the concept of a group of Satan-worshippers also being big into the spirit of the season.  Bottom line, it’s probably essential viewing for those invested in the series, but it’s inessential as a holiday special.   

2.    HOME ALONE (1990)
3.    GREMLINS (1984)
4.    BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)
5.    SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN’ TO TOWN (1970)
6.    EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS (1977)
7.    HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK (1992)
8.    THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY (1968)
9.    A CHRISTMAS CAROL (2009)
10.  CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA - “A Midwinter’s Tale” (2018)
11.  CHRISTMAS EVIL aka YOU BETTER WATCH OUT (1980)
12.  ERNEST SAVES CHRISTMAS (1988)
13.  THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES (2018)
14.  THE CHRISTMAS THAT ALMOST WASN’T (1966)
15.  SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT PART 2 (1987)
16.  CHRISTMAS WITH THE KRANKS (2004)
Getting to the more-or-less agreed upon Christmas classics this week. Last night was LOVE ACTUALLY which, to me, remains the gold standard in romantic comedies. Cheesy as hell, but I think even the most cynical person could find a plotline in here that resonates. Some of the segments lean a bit to far into schmaltz; Andrew Lincoln's (!!!) segment is a groanfest from start to finish, and Colin Firth's storyline is just a bit too cute for my liking, but I kinda love Liam Neeson & Jojen Reed in this. And of course, MVP Bill Nighy is absolutely hilarious; quite possibly his best role.

Terrific Christmas flick.

In order of enjoyment:
1. LOVE ACTUALLY
2. OHMSS
3. THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA (Christmas special)
4. SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 4: INITIATION
5. TRAPPED IN PARADISE
6. DEAD END
7. THE CHRISTMAS CHRONICLES
8. ALL THE CREATURES WERE STIRRING
9. SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT 3
LOVE ACTUALLY is a movie I feel I should really enjoy... but I only kind of do.  That cast is formidable enough to pull me through, though.

However, the Rowan Atkinson gift-wrapping scene is great.  It absolutely nails a particular kind of pretentiousness that one can find in really high-end department stores.

I actually HATE Love, Actually.

It’s excrutiating.

(12-19-2018, 12:10 PM)catartik Wrote: I actually HATE Love, Actually.

It’s excrutiating.

You certainly aren't alone!

I blame the Andrew Lincoln segment.
Only the Nighy plotline in Love, Actually is any good. I don't find the Hugh Grant or Colin Firth ones on as deeply problematic as others, but I get why they're criticized.

The Lincoln storyline is gross.

(12-19-2018, 12:49 PM)MichaelM Wrote: The Lincoln storyline is gross.

It really is, on multiple levels.

I hate when Laura Linney asks if he's in love with his best friend, and the movie quickly shrugs it off, like its embarrassed by it; "you think I'm GAY?? oh no, definitely not!". Then he's revealed to be just a shitty best friend who'd be a sicko bad guy in a Brian DePalma movie.
Brian De Palma's LOVE ACTUALLY would be something to see.
It’s not even the problematic storylines.

I found almost every character in the movie insufferable. I can’t stand what Nighy is doing. I can’t stand that guy who is trying to get laid. Who is that actor?? Where did they find him? Ugh!!!

And Colin Firth’s character falls in love with a woman he can’t even talk to?

It’s not the worst movie I’ve seen, but it’s easily the movie I hate the most. I can’t stand it.