Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick and Morty
3 words...

time
traveling
snakes
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
I believe you mean

ssss
ssss
ssss
(12-17-2019, 12:03 AM)schwartz Wrote: I believe you mean

ssss
ssss
ssss

I see you dig snake jazz...
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.   -Grandpa Simpson
Okay, this one i loved.

The montage with the "alien snake" arriving, getting the snake linguist (?) etc. was amazing. And the detail... one of the 1985 MIT snakes has a shirt with the rainbow Apple logo, but it's a half-peeled banana.
Really enjoying the season thus far, and add me to the camp that dug the dirty dragon episode. Liam Cunningham is a hell of a good sport.
This will take your mind off all the other shit going on in the world for 6 minutes...

Snowball!
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
(04-01-2020, 02:30 PM)turingmachine75 Wrote: Snowball!

....fighting a cat in a exosuit!
The midseason premiere was a deconstructionist thrill-ride that didn't hold together at all, but also was by no means the lesser for its inconsistencies. Loved Clancy Brown back basically doing Mr. Krabs from Spongebob as a murderous, acid-dipping tyrant.

I did not expect a COVID-19 joke. They had to have inserted that fairly late in the game.
"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

I quite enjoyed it and thought it held up well.

This show has better writing than 90% of the TV shows currently being produced and is so damn dense with references as to reward repeated viewings.

I'm only bummed that we didn't get more of the robo-dog/cyber-cat war.
Check out them gutters!!

"These guys are pros, Michael. They're gonna push the tension 'till the last possible moment before they strip."

This was probably my favorite episode of the season just because they trolled the shit out of their whiny fanbase.
Spotted on the twitters:

That was exactly the kind of episode I like most. I thought it was very strong.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
(05-04-2020, 05:55 PM)WilderHackman Wrote: This was probably my favorite episode of the season just because they trolled the shit out of their whiny fanbase.

They both trolled and embrace that fanbase.  And I think the point of the episode is to basically shake off the "lore" that Rick and Morty was starting to get attached too.

Like, I no longer care about the "One true Morty" or anything with the Ricks, so I'm glad it seems like we're done with all that.
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
[i]WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

[/i]

Yeah the latest episode pretty confirms what I figure this season is gonna be about: going back to basics.

It is a very "Season 1" like episode with Rick and Morty getting into wacky hijinks, and mostly dispensing the world building or moral ambiguities of the earlier seasons. Also, goddamn there are some out right hysterical lines here.

"So you're saying you did a 9/11"
"We almost did a 9/11"
"There's only one question to resolve. I'm scared. I feel a little crazy. I'm not lucid. The assumptions are right. I can feel my fear growing. Now is the time for the answer. Just one question. One question to answer.

[/i]

I liked this last one, though I sort of miss the early days of the show. It feels like they're in a competition with themselves to see how many wacky concepts they can fit into each episode now. On that front they're succeeding but I don't think like I could pop on a season and re-watch it the way I did the first couple.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
I'm kinda mixed on this last episode.  On the one hand, the first half of the episode is pretty goddamn strong, where Morty gets a device that essentially lets him save scum, leading to an extended montage of him discovering true love, actually living a life with this person, and nearly dying in a plane crash, all to get reverted back to start when Jerry accidentally turns on the device.  But then it gets revealed that the entire thing was orchestrated by Rick being petty that Morty had the nerve to call one of his plans "lame." It's mean-spirited in a way that put me off of the second half that, while kinda funny, left me feeling disappointed.

[/i]

I was just super impressed that they worked such an extensive parody of the movie ALIVE into the show.
I have no complaints about this season. They’ve been doing everything I want this show to do. I even really like the dragon episode.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The show is probably as strong as ever. But for me, I think I’ve reached that point i do with any show where even though I’m impressed with the new episodes, I’m not enjoying them the way I did when the show was fresh.

It’s basically how Lisa describes Itchy and Scratchy to Roger Meyer Jr
(05-19-2020, 10:14 AM)Nooj Wrote: The show is probably as strong as ever. But for me, I think I’ve reached that point i do with any show where even though I’m impressed with the new episodes, I’m not enjoying them the way I did when the show was fresh.

It’s basically how Lisa describes Itchy and Scratchy to Roger Meyer Jr

What I liked most about last weeks episode is that it went back to being just Rick and Morty shooting the shit.  It was a really breezy episode that let us enjoy two great characters bouncing off of each other.  This episode felt more like a return to S2/S3 where Morty is struggling to find some type of agency outside of his Grandpa's eccentric personality, only to be cruelly shut down in another "Don't fuck with Rick Sanchez" moral.  It's the kind of thing that was funny and subversive before, but has now become standard and a little bit mean.

[/i]

The extended montage from the newest episode is one of the best things the show has ever done, IMO. The part with Jerry ruining everything fucking slayed me.
I don’t mind Don’t fuck with Rick episodes, as they’re kind of the show’s bread and butter. And I enjoy that the pettiness is exponentially multiplying, I hope that continues.

I think their biggest issue is the need to keep raising the bar. I keep wondering if they’ll ever fold and have to embrace serialization. There’s another sixty episodes ordered after this season, and that seems like a tall order.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Justin Roiland telling Slashfilm that (A) season five is already "mostly in the can," and (B) that he'd love to see Adult Swim only release one new episode per month in future seasons, going forward:

https://www.slashfilm.com/rick-and-morty...ase-plans/

(Also, looks like only 10 new episodes again next year, sadly.)

(05-19-2020, 04:11 PM)arjen rudd Wrote: I keep wondering if they’ll ever fold and have to embrace serialization.

I think they'll eventually bring Evil Morty back proper because he's now been highlighted in two different episodes. The theory is Evil Morty is Rick's original Morty, but I think Justin and Dan don't want to ever go with something predictable (which is what the story train episode made fun of). I read someone on another board say that our Morty will probably become so sick and tired of Rick's bullshit that he becomes the new Evil Morty, which is an idea I think is ripe for potential.

But until that happens, I'm cool with more standalone episodes.
According to Harmon, the whole “plane-crash/cannibalism” sequence wasn’t even in the original script, and only got added to the episode at the very, very last minute by the director (all on his own accord) to pad things out when it was discovered that they were still running five minutes short:

I honestly feel like the episode would not have worked at all without that sequence.
Yeah, to me that's the key memorable sequence of the whole episode!
There are weapons in my hands, my hands are weapons.
Agreed -- that ended up being the centerpiece of the entire episode for me as well. A pretty amazing piece of work.

I wonder if I would have felt as disappointed if the mongtage didn't make it in? It is a great moment, but it really made Rick being a dick hurt a little more than it probably should.

[/i]

There's a new episode, and it's a very good one. Definitely a Minecraft homage.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I thought it was okay. Definitely covering a lot of familiar ground with this one. Particularly with Beth and Jerry doing Beth and Jerry shit.

[/i]

(05-12-2020, 11:16 AM)ska oreo Wrote: Yeah the latest episode pretty confirms what I figure this season is gonna be about: going back to basics.

It is a very "Season 1" like episode with Rick and Morty getting into wacky hijinks, and mostly dispensing the world building or moral ambiguities of the earlier seasons.  Also, goddamn there are some out right hysterical lines here.

"So you're saying you did a 9/11"
"We almost did a 9/11"

Boy was I wrong!  Season finale is a very continuity focus episode where (clone?)Beth comes back from space and encounters (real?)Beth.  I thought this was better than last week's episode, but it still feels like we're in well-worn territory.  Yet again, the show doesn't tell us which one's the real Beth, only adding that not even Rick knows since he made it where doesn't have to carry the guilt of possibly sending his daughter into space, The Smiths reject Rick, and Rick realizes that he's a shitty person.  Something I think was done much better in the season 3 finale.

Rick and Morty is still good, but I think it is losing what made it so special in the first place.

[/i]