Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Late Thread with David Letterman

2015: The Year Entertainment Ends.

AMaybe this is going against the grain but why should there even be a replacement for Dave?

There are already a plethora of late night talk shows....one less wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

Maybe this is going against the grain but why should there even be a replacement for Dave?

There are already a plethora of late night talk shows....one less wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

A good point, but even if you retire "The Late Show" name along with Dave, you still have 2 time slots to fill.  You could bump Ferguson up an hour and rename it "Craig" or something, but then what do they do after?  Infomercials for mobility scooters?  Actually, since it's CBS, that might not be a bad idea...

Terrific interview last night with Dave Chappelle:

Tony Mendez, Letterman's cue card guy, was fired for attacking one of the writers, Bill Scheft. What a way to go with only 7 months left.

Quote:

Tony says he's had a problem with show writer Bill Scheft for a long time ... and during the rehearsal he snapped when Scheft interrupted his convo with Letterman -- so he told the writer to get off his back.

But when Letterman got angry at him for it Tony snapped ... telling Dave, "You're the one who has a sour disposition, mother****r."

Tony claims he was stewing all night over what happened ... and when he came into work the next day he immediately approached Scheft, then rougly grabbed him by the shirt.  Sources told the Post he threw the writer up against a wall.

He was immediately removed from the building and terminated from his position -- but offered severance ... his full salary and health insurance until the show ends in May.

However the famous cue card guy says he's not gonna hold a grudge against Dave over this, adding, "He is the best, the most generous boss I have ever had."

http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/19/david-lett...late-show/

Sorry to hear about this.  As User notes, with 7 months left - not a great way to go out.

God, I loved the Tony Mendez show.  It was truly epic stuff.

One a side note, Stephanie Birkitt was the former intern/assistant whose partner tried to blackmail Dave some years back.

Dave reflects on his career, ending his show, and even why (he admits) he fell behind Leno in the ratings race:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/t....html?_r=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

Dave reflects on his career, ending his show, and even why (he admits) he fell behind Leno in the ratings race:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/t....html?_r=0

Weirdest part about his run ending is I know when the show is over we'll likely never see him again.

Steve Martin is on this Friday. Will record.

So many great guests these past few weeks.

It's always great to see how loyal Dave is to his staff.

Howard Stern and Don Rickles on tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Howard Stern and Don Rickles on tonight.

Guess everyone here has seen it already, but Norm's sublime stand-up set:

Less seen are the CBC sets which Letterman did, one of which Norm saw:

Frighteningly young Ricky Jay in one of those.

Eighty minutes until I can blow up my TV.

Kimmel's tribute - the best parts are his clip of Dave talking to his nephew Jimmy, and the tribute to Paul...

AI love seeing how much Dave means to industry titans like Jimmy and Norm. Probably helps that I agree with them. There are other late night hosts who have their charms, some I like quite a bit, but none of them were ever as magic as Dave could be.

Now that was a top ten list.

Say what you will about Dave's Oscar gig all those years ago but he killed with this one:

I'm gonna miss Dave. I started watching at my friends house when I was around 16 in Iceland. They had a satellite. 

Loved the show and a loved Dave's humor and "don't give a shit" attitude. 

I got meet him briefly in January last year when I played drums on the show with John Grant. Dave was polite and warm, Paul and the band were very supportive and chatty and I got to say hi to Scarlett Johannson. Very cool. 

So.. anyways.. thanks Dave and thank you for having me on your show. I will never forget it. 

Just watched Dave's final monologue, Top 10 and send off, then Norm's farewell. Had no idea I'd be so choked up....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerill View Post

I got meet him briefly in January last year when I played drums on the show with John Grant. Dave was polite and warm, Paul and the band were very supportive and chatty and I got to say hi to Scarlett Johannson. Very cool. 

So.. anyways.. thanks Dave and thank you for having me on your show. I will never forget it. 

Awesome. Did he by chance ask if the drums were yours?

Missed the show last night - when I moved to NC about seven years ago I stopped getting reception to CBS.  I don't think I've watched anything on CBS over the air except football in almost a decade.

I told my wife right before I had my daughter that with all the people I admired most; Letterman, Schwarzenegger, and Alec Baldwin - they all fucked up as parents in memorable, devastating ways.  For some reason I was never able to give Dave the same pass those other two got ... the scandal personified the looming, toxic misery of the the whole thing.  The Stern interviews are where he really cut loose - he really hated Jay and the networks, and he hated being a dad, and ... well he hated pretty much everything.  I'm glad he's getting some rest - like some other posters mentioned, we'll almost certainly never see him again.

He looks like he's in a much better place now.  Loved that Dave gave a shout-out to not only his son but his son's best friend.  That was pretty cool.

Without hyperbole, Norm's salute and the six-minute montage are certainly among television's all-time greatest moments.

A[quote name="Snerill" url="/community/t/150189/the-late-thread-with-david-letterman/50#post_3891088"]Loved the show and a loved Dave's humor and "don't give a shit" attitude.[/quote]

That absolutely nails why Dave was always #1 for me too. As funny as some of the others could be they all had/have some air of nervous desperation to them, wearing their insecurities a little too close to the surface. Sometimes I'd hear folks talk of Dave's "don't give a shit" attitude as if it was a reason not to enjoy him. Those people were the exact opposite of correct.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltisanti View Post

Awesome. Did he by chance ask if the drums were yours?

He didn't, but I think I know why. This particular kit had been on the show a few times before as it was the C&C kit made specially for the backline company that does the Letterman show. I think he knew.. he is a drummer himself after all. Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

I told my wife right before I had my daughter that with all the people I admired most; Letterman, Schwarzenegger, and Alec Baldwin - they all fucked up as parents in memorable, devastating ways.  For some reason I was never able to give Dave the same pass those other two got ... the scandal personified the looming, toxic misery of the the whole thing.  The Stern interviews are where he really cut loose - he really hated Jay and the networks, and he hated being a dad, and ... well he hated pretty much everything.  I'm glad he's getting some rest - like some other posters mentioned, we'll almost certainly never see him again.

But from everything I've read/heard, Letterman truly adores his son. The Intern thing...yeah.

Letterman really was Johnny Carson's true heir. He had that some love of Americana but added an edge that put things in perspective. So glad he never got maudlin or sappy, even in the end.

I'm not saying that he doesn't like his kid, it's just that he hated the concept of becoming a father with his common law wife and not "dating" co-workers.  He was a really miserable guy, you almost felt sorry for him because he never seemed to have an outlet for his genius, even though he had a national TV audience at his disposal every night for thirty years.  I also think he was always too wild for CBS or even 11:30, he got stuck in a spiral where CBS kept him around even though he wasn't a good fit because Worldwide Pants brought in so much scratch with Ray.  I think Dave just got stuck in a rut trying to live up to Johnny's legacy and beating Jay, he would have been much better off if he had stayed away from the talk show route and had more creative freedom like Louis CK or Sam Simon or Larry David.  I know I sound like I'm trolling, but the one two punch of the scandal and him having to mary his common-law wife really bummed me out ... he told Madonna once that he didn't want to get re-married because he screwed it up the first time, he just seemed extra miserable to me to me the last decade or so.

He's said many times that TV is his forte, and also his life ambition.

Now he's retired, I hope we see an interview where he really rips into Jay and is honest about all the celebrities he's worked with. He's got nothing to lose since it's not like he hangs with those folk or seeks their approval.

Part of me kind wants to see him do what Johhny did and retire for real.

TBH, he may be miserable, but from all accounts he's good to his staff and friends.  He has a sense of propriety.  So there's miserable and then there's miserable.

The bad news is, there is pretty much no misery left in late night, except for Conan.

Some of the more recent peeks into his life give a pretty good idea of his current state of mind.

David Letterman Reflects on 33 years in Late Night Television

Letterman Counts Down

Letterman:Happy at Last

I'll Always Be a Letterman Guy

Chris Elliott as Marv Albert:

That's great.  Chris Elliot was so great at impressions.  So integral to the old show.  Sorry he didn't appear live in the finale.

Watch Dave's hands.

One of my favourite bits, Dave and the Blood Bug.

"Spaghetti?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subotai View Post

That's great.  Chris Elliot was so great at impressions.  So integral to the old show.  Sorry he didn't appear live in the finale.

Would have been cool to see him on the finale. He did show up as a guest a few weeks back. Like Norm he got legitimately emotional saying goodbye to Dave.

Nobody can touch his Brando:

Was catching up on Nick DiPaolo's podcasts.  Never knew he was such a sentimental son of a bitch - he was talking about how he was thinking if he had gone on stage during one of the final episodes like Norm did, he would've told Dave how much he meant to him in a similar vein.