Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Late Thread with David Letterman

Comedian Todd Barry just tweeted a clip from when he was 18, and Dave called him during Viewer Mail!

Hilariously, as soon as he answers the phone (or hell, just the tone of his letter), you can immediately tell it's Todd Barry.

Interview with an Indianapolis paper.  Guess he does hang around there.

Letterman's longtime writer Bill Scheft (IIRC the one Tony Mendez tried to strangle last year) did a terrific interview on the great Gilbert Gottfried podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/gilbertgottfried/bill-scheft

Letterman showed up in San Antonio last night, where Steve Martin and Martin Short were doing their Very Stupid Coversation tour.

First Late Night ever.

AOne of Larry King's recent #mytwocents tweets was, "I wonder what David Letterman does every day." And one unrecognized genius replied aways below, "Your Mom."

Someone recently uploaded a Kaufman appearance discussing film and family.  Great stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=MTh7LUcZwec

In honor of this weekend's blockbuster Bone Tomahawk, here's 'This House Needs Work' with Chris Elliot.

Paul Shaffer has a website, 'Paul Shaffer's Day in Rock', where he interviews various rock gods.  Pretty infrequent but definitely worth the listen.  And Shaffer's book, We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives, is definitely worth the read for a music fan.

http://www.paulshaffersdayinrock.com/

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

David Letterman, Even Retired, Keeps On Interviewing

Quote:

MUNCIE, Ind. — Six months into retirement, David Letterman stepped onstage here at Ball State University looking much the way he did as host of “Late Show”: suit and tie, loafers and white socks. But he has grown the kind of beard a man wears when he doesn’t have to get up for work every morning — looking not so much like Santa Claus but, as he said, like Charles Darwin.

In his first visit to Ball State, his alma mater, since retiring after 33 years in late-night television, Mr. Letterman moderated a conversation with the movie directors Spike Jonze and Bennett Miller that touched on everything from filmmaking mistakes to sexism in Hollywood.

Getting to the Heart of David Letterman

Terrific interview

Quote:

BS: So apparently, along this theme of growing older, we’ve heard that you’ve retired. (laughter)

DL: Yes, I have retired. I am no longer in show business.

BS: So how has that change in your life affected you?

DL: We did this television show—my friends and I—for a very long time. It’s probably like anyone else’s professional pursuit. When you are doing it for so long, and for each day—I have always likened it to running a restaurant—because you get response to the day’s endeavor immediately. Either from the audience or the ratings, but you know as early as the next day how you did.

And because of this introspection, you believe that what you are doing is of great importance and that it is affecting mankind wall-to-wall. And then when you get out of it you realize, oh, well, that wasn’t true at all. (laughter) It was just silliness. And when that occurred to me, I felt so much better and I realized, geez, I don’t think I care that much about television anymore. I feel foolish for having been misguided by my own ego for so many years.

BS: Are you able to look back with some pride and enjoy what you have accomplished or does your inner critic always get in the way?

DL: Well, I have this conversation with my wife all of the time. And my wife—I can’t tell yet whether she’s being diplomatic, whether she’s being polite, deferential—I just don’t know what it is—and she’ll say, “Well, look at what you’ve accomplished.” And I’ll say, “Well, what have I accomplished?” And she says, “Well, look. You’ve employed a lot of people for a long time…” (laughter) So I always laugh and think, okay, I’ve put a lot of people to work. And that’s usually the end of the conversation.

Audio of the interview

A great tradition (for me, anyhow)...bittersweet knowing it'll never happen again.

Thirty-four years ago...

Piece in Salon magazine talking about how Letterman was one of the few (or perhaps only) in media who looked Trump in the eye and called him out for his hijinx and racist BS back in the day.  He retires, no one takes off the kid gloves with Trump anymore - any the guy takes off.

Quote:

It’s a bit uncanny that the comedy landscape shifted at exactly the same time that our nation entered into one of the most ridiculous—and frightening—elections in recent history.   Stewart stepped down and was replaced by a grinning and ineffective Trevor Noah. Stephen Colbert put his brilliant pundit persona to rest to move more toward variety comedy on “The Late Show.”  But maybe all the attention on Stewart and Colbert misses the point. Maybe the comedic loss we should really mourn is that of David Letterman.

Besides having broad appeal across the political spectrum, Letterman was uniquely talented at making demagogues look like idiots.  In an interview with Katie Couric in 2009, Letterman went after one of the nation’s finest gasbags, Rush Limbaugh, “What about this bonehead Rush Limbaugh? Honest to God, I mean, what is going on there? He gets up in Washington and he’s the keynote speaker at some function and he comes up—he looks like an Eastern European gangster, you know? He’s got the black jacket on, the black silk shirt and it’s unbuttoned like, oh yeah, when you think Rush Limbaugh, you think, Ooh, let’s see a little flesh. Honestly, you know?”

Kimmel is going to host the Emmys this year - bet he brings up this point.

Trump or Monkey!

Letterman 'apologizes' for calling Trump a racist (Paul's suit ftw)

I'm waiting for Fallon to address this issue

Dave shaved his head!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/art...Barts.html

Wouldn't want to mess with him.

AOne year gone.

Thanks, Dave.

Letterman hits Regis in '84

Letterman on Tomorrow Show, 1980

Letterman's last pre-Late Night interview.  He was always terrific with Jane Pauley

What the hell, it's Wednesday...how about some Prince-themed clips

and of course, Morris

Scorsese, 30 years

BIGGEST WEHT EVER

I can remember watching this 20 years ago and realizing Letterman was disappointed that she was still in high school.

Someone has done the work of God...

I take back everything bad I have ever said about the internet

What better way to celebrate Canada Day, suckers, than to revisit Letterman's 1985 Holiday Film Festival.  Watch for Ron AND Clint Howard, Catherine O'Hara, Andrea Martin, and others.

Letterman's longtime employees talk with Reeg

Quote:

To celebrate the groundbreaking of the National Comedy Center, Regis Philbin moderated a panel of producers, writers and crew from David Letterman’s Late Show and Late Night in Jamestown, NY on July 30, 2015. This was the first time since David Letterman’s retirement that the group discussed how they helped craft Letterman’s shows for the last 33 years.

Panelists for the evening included Barbara Gaines (Executive Producer/Associate Producer Late Show/Late Night), Jerry Foley (Director/Supervising Producer/Technical Director Late Show/Late Night), Steve O’Donnell (Head Writer/Writer Late Night/Late Show), Steve Young (Head Monologue Writer/Writer Late Show/Late Night), and Biff Henderson (Stage Manager Late Show/Late Night).

David Letterman is the most influential late night host of this election - http://uproxx.com/tv/david-letterman-donald-trump/

That frame of Trump's "this is the rare moment when I fully realize my hypocrisy" look is incredible.

R.I.P. Dick Assman

Daniel Poitras, I have never met you, I probably never will meet you, but I am calling my lawyer today and having you included in my will.

AI probably already posted this, but just in case I didn't, this is still my favourite ever guest spot and it has nothing to do with the fact I've known Matt since we were about 7 years old.