Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMC Presents Garth Ennis' Preacher (written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg...yes really)
I binged seasons two and three over the last few weeks, and it’s all been a dramatic upturn from that first season. Certainly not great, but it captures the spirit of the comics, which was always going to be a big challenge. The addition of Hitler was interesting, though I don’t think they ever quite made sense of it, what we’re supposed to think of him. It would be very much in line with Preacher’s teenage blasphemy to make him a sympathetic character, but they appear to be pretty gunshy in that regard. So it’s kind of half in, half out.

It’s a weird, messy show. The biggest problem for me is that the heroes are nearly undistinguishable from the villains by anything other than attractiveness, which means I’m more emotionally invested in Starr than any of the good guys. Except Cassidy, who has somehow emerged as the moral compass of the team. But we know how that’s going to go in the long run. I’ve never warmed to Cooper, and while I like Negga, this version of Tulip is a vindictive psychopath. A finale where everything burns would be my preferred wrap up to this version of the story.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
So I have 2 episodes left of the season but yeah it's much better than the last 2 seasons. If they can keep this up I will keep watching instead of just barely hanging on watching. I love that in a show where they bend over backwards to make the supernatural mundane or over the top stupid and weird Satan gets to be an actual red goat-man living in a palace of Lava and fire.

Although one thing and perhaps it was different in the comics but if Jesse grew up in a place where the supernatural existed and he knew of vampires and stealing souls....why did the existence of it seem to shock him in the first season? Like he is doubting god and Cassidy didn't seem like something he had ever seen before.

And speaking of Cassidy, does he have vampire powers or not? I don't mean the fancy shit they introduced this year or his healing. I mean I have seen him display super human strength and speed in past seasons and this season with the vampire hunters and yet I have seen him struggle not only to beat Jesse but then a fat middle edged sex offender. He is either useless or a dangerous predator depending on what the episode calls for at the moment.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Renewed for Season 4.
https://deadline.com/2018/11/preacher-re...202511427/

Awesome. S3 was pretty great and set things up for a pretty epic S4 (doing the Masada plotline).
Season 4 will be the last.
https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/10572...st-release
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Works for me. They're heading into the Masada storyline from the comic book and it would be fairly easy to merge the ending there into the overall ending.
I think they ended up figuring this out, probably around the time Starr showed up (no shock there). But even a good adaptation kinda showed me, once and for all, that I’ve kinda outgrown Preacher myself. It’s such an angry teenager of a comic book.

Considering how much more likable Cass is on the show, I hope they tweak the finale appropriately.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Just booked Ian "Eugene" Colletti in for a skydive at one of our VIC locations. I forgot they were over this way filming the last season and after some back and forth I jokingly confirm "Ian Colletti, spelled like the actor, yeah?" There's a bit of a silence and then a slightly surprised "Uh, yeah . . . that's me, actually".
Super cool guy, very charming.
Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes.
So yeah, the season premiere was last Sunday. They did two episodes in a row to make it an event and...yeah. I'm not feeling it. They're doing a take on the Masada storyline and it's very, very apparent that:
- they don't have the budget to do the storyline right.
- they're desperately trying to hurry through things so that they can wrap up the show in the season/series finale.

I really liked season 3 a lot. The main story worked really well (Jesse's family), and the side story worked extremely well (Cassidy off doing his own thing). The pacing of the episodes was solid, the acting was good, and the tone was consistent. So far in season 4, it just feels incredibly off. There's no flow, just a series of events that are strung together. The 'shock value' scenes/moments are overwhelming the story. Everything feels amped up to 11 without the budget to support the things being shown.

Episode 1 begins with a flash-forward montage of events from the season, so it looks like the major events from the comic book will be present. Based upon what's been shown, I think that the show will transition directly from the Masada storyline to the Alamo storyline with the Salvation story complete jettisoned. Who knows, though...episode 3 (next week) is finally doing the Jesus De Sade story, so anything can happen.

I'll finish off the season/series, but it'll be out of obligation more than anything.
I watched most of the first episode, but was overwhelmed with how much I just do not care about these characters, as well-performed as they are. When the fight scenes start, I literally turn away from the screen. They are shot well, but after 3 seasons there is a firm sense that there is absolutely no danger and no consequence to any of them. As long as he has the Voice, Jesse fighting anyone is just dicking around, which is basically what the whole series feels like.
Great point about the lack of peril.
After a shaky start, the season has kinda gotten...good.  Weird but good.  The amalgam of Masada, Alamo, and other random stuff (a lot of it new) is starting to work.  

There was a really great fight scene in episode three that's worthy of a look:

I had no idea until tonight that I ever wanted to see the risen Jesus Christ play Asteroids. That was amazing.
[Image: preacher-4x5-2-1024x768.jpg]
For all of my complaints at the beginning of this season, I must say that I've been thoroughly entertained by how this final season is playing out. There's hardly any padding and things are cruising along at breakneck speed towards the finale. The absurdity and the humor have all been amped up quite a bit, and all of the new stuff (not in the comics) is really working for me. Only two episodes left and it should finish pretty strongly based upon how it's going so far.

Oh, and we got breakdancing Jesus this episode, complete with Hitler playing 'It's Tricky!' on a boombox.
(09-17-2019, 05:25 PM)Judas Booth Wrote: For all of my complaints at the beginning of this season, I must say that I've been thoroughly entertained by how this final season is playing out.  There's hardly any padding and things are cruising along at breakneck speed towards the finale.  The absurdity and the humor have all been amped up quite a bit, and all of the new stuff (not in the comics) is really working for me.  Only two episodes left and it should finish pretty strongly based upon how it's going so far.

Oh, and we got breakdancing Jesus this episode, complete with Hitler playing 'It's Tricky!' on a boombox.

The two Grail members trying to pass themselves off as New Zealanders to the Aussie was amazing to me.  I mean, the actual attention to detail in getting the accents and slang right when only a tiny percentage of the audience would actually recognise and appreciate that honestly stunned me.
Well, this came to a wrap last night. Overall, it was a successful finale and I liked the changes that were made to the resolutions to some of the characters.

First off: Jesse, Tulip, God and the Saint of Killers had endings that (more or less) followed the ending of the comic book series. I'm glad that they followed through with The Saint vs God...I was afraid that they'd pull back from showing that.

Cassidy's different ending really worked for me. On the show, he wasn't the complete bastard that he was in the comic book, but he still got his redemption, of a sort. Walking off into the sunlight and burning up fit this iteration of the character nicely and was well played by Gilgun.

Having Jesus end up as a salesperson at Home Depot? I loved it.
Having Herr Starr survive, become intact again with flowing blonde hair, and becoming a golf pro at a country club? I loved it.
Arseface accepted who he was. That didn't really work; I wish they'd followed through on having him become a music star. Oh well.

Overall, I liked the show. It never completely worked, especially in season 1, but it worked often enough to be a satisfying watch in the long run.
(09-30-2019, 11:56 AM)Judas Booth Wrote: Arseface accepted who he was.  That didn't really work; I wish they'd followed through on having him become a music star.  Oh well.

I think he did.  The female customer at the Home Depot was wearing an "Eugene World Tour!" t-shirt.  

For a series with an extremely shaky first season, I really came to enjoy this brand of madness.  It wasn't as thematically coherent as the comic, but the moments that worked in the series worked really well.  Plus, Ruth Negga is a national treasure.
"Lets pour some sugar on Dallas!!  Seriose inquarys only!"
Ach, I missed that on the T-Shirt!
A couple of days later and I still really don't know how to feel about that finale. Some stuff was great as an end to the different story they told, but I really bumped up against some of the other decisions. Cassidy's final scene was nothing compared to the comic version, but damned if Gilgun didn't sell the fuck out of it.
(09-30-2019, 09:53 PM)ratty Wrote:   Plus, Ruth Negga is a national treasure.

Wrapping up Preacher, Tulip is still my favorite thing about the show.  I've gone back and forth so much on this show but Ruth Negga and Pip Torrens have kept me coming back.  I'm watching the finale right now and I'm ready for this thing to end.
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
So im just now getting around to finishing this and....yeah didn't care for it. I do have a question for anyone who has read the comic err graphic novel. Is it so......silly? Like I know it has quite a bit of dark humor and im all for that but do they uncut everything with a joke the way the show did? Like to the point where the villains and even the saint of killers aren't even threatening anymore? In the last season it got to be a bit much honestly.
The comic book isn't quite as 'silly' as the tv show ended up being. Starr, for instance, is much more serious in the comic. The character dynamics are much different in the comic as well, especially with Cassidy. Cassidy is revealed to be a complete and total bastard in the final third of the comic book run and has a completely different arc and resolution.

While I liked the show, it's not even close to achieving the greatness of the comic book. I'd recommend giving it a go because you'll better understand why people have been wanting to adapt it for so long.
Well at the rate these things go now there should be another Preacher adaption in about 3-5 years. Anyway thanks.