Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AMC Presents Garth Ennis' Preacher (written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg...yes really)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzuDohNihm View Post

Why not?  She did fantastic comedic network television after she was an Oscar winner.

I wouldn't completely discount her as a possibility either. For the past few years she's mostly been doing supporting roles in genre stuff or leading roles in smaller indie things. She hasn't headlined a major studio picture in years. And does she even have anything lined up after Mad Max?

I think if the quality in the writing is there she'd seriously consider it. Especially since it's a series with a solid end point built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prankster View Post

A while back someone pointed out that Samuel L. Jackson would make a great Saint, which is left-field and probably almost as implausible as Eastwood, but you can't deny he'd be amazingly well-suited.

Not too left-field. Many years back Samuel L Jackson was orbiting one of the first, if not the first attempt at adapting Preacher for the big screen and there is one piece of concept art showing him as the Saint. I couldn't find the artwork itself, but there is still reference to it in a few places. I believe it was done by the same guy who designed the Arseface makeup.

I'm telling you guys, I'd bet money on unknowns. This show is going to be saving money where it can, and big movie star names aren't going to want to take a pay cut to appear in material like this on basic cable, unless they're just enormous fans of the property like Rogen is. AMC has never cast a big name before (the largest was Cranston, who was just the dad from Malcolm, at that point). If it was going to be anyone big, I would look at the Apatow stable, and I can't immediately think of anyone especially well suited for this stuff out of that. Maybe Baruchel will play Assface.

Ray Stevenson for Jody I think would be a great casting choice.Just to add to the Punisher love fest Thomas Jane as Jessies' dad.

See, back in the day I had Chris Meloni pegged for Jody.  But these days, I could see Stevenson, for sure.

It should be an interesting adaptation. The trades don't break into neat seasons, like, say, the Game of Thrones books. They're probably going to need to be a lot more faithful to the narrative than Walking Dead. I guess I could see the first two being one loose season, with the beginning being the western stuff, the middle being NY, and the last act being Jesse's family. Then season two is all Herr Starr and the descendant of Christ, and the Saint of Killers gets a spotlight episode somewhere in there.

I guess that's where I'd start. I actually think there's every chance for this to end up really good.

Am I the only one here who sees Danny Trejo in his mind's eye when the Saint of Killers is invoked?

Font forget we should be getting Stand Alone episodes like Arse Faces,Cassidey and a few others origins

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson View Post

Am I the only one here who sees Danny Trejo in his mind's eye when the Saint of Killers is invoked?

He has dat faic!  I can see it.

Meanwhile, I think Michael Shannon has to be in this somewhere.  I don't know whom he should play, but he needs to be in this f***er.

The best stand alone should be Cassidy meeting the vampire in New Orleans who thinks he's an Anne Rice character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashxking2001 View Post

Font forget

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt View Post

He has dat faic!

I'm starting to worry that I've caught dyslexia. Is that a thing? If a dyslexic person sneezes on you, can you catch it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

The best stand alone should be Cassidy meeting the vampire in New Orleans who thinks he's an Anne Rice character.

The best standalone is 'Good Old Boys' with Joy and T.C. (before they was dead).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

It should be an interesting adaptation. The trades don't break into neat seasons, like, say, the Game of Thrones books. They're probably going to need to be a lot more faithful to the narrative than Walking Dead. I guess I could see the first two being one loose season, with the beginning being the western stuff, the middle being NY, and the last act being Jesse's family. Then season two is all Herr Starr and the descendant of Christ, and the Saint of Killers gets a spotlight episode somewhere in there.

I guess that's where I'd start. I actually think there's every chance for this to end up really good.

They can use the books as a loose framework, but there's maaaaaybe three seasons worth of material there, tops, and that's talking 13-episode seasons. They're going to have to write a lot of new material, which fortunately shouldn't be a problem, because it's a fairly episodic story that lends itself to that. I'd much rather that than see every trade stretched out to five or six episodes long. Make it more of a classic episodic TV show, with things like the NY serial killer story as the model for single episodes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I'm starting to worry that I've caught dyslexia. Is that a thing? If a dyslexic person sneezes on you, can you catch it?

Relax Saxon, you're just overly sober is all.

A[quote name="Judas Booth" url="/community/t/150198/amc-presents-garth-ennis-preacher-written-by-seth-rogen-evan-goldberg-yes-really/50#post_3673736"]
The best standalone is 'Good Old Boys' with Joy and T.C. (before they was dead).
[/quote]

If there's one thing that I bet doesn't make the adaptation, it'd be this.

As much as I'm excited at the prospect of this happening...I'd positively murder for a similar 'Hitman' adaptation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andronicus View Post

As much as I'm excited at the prospect of this happening...I'd positively murder for a similar 'Hitman' adaptation.

I always thought that an animated adaptation would work best.  Hitman is so over the top with its cartoony violence that I just cant picture it in live action.

AIt'll be interesting to see, that's for sure. And if it is a success, I'm sure Hitman won't be too far behind.
AThe cartoony violence is one of the reasons I'd love to see it adapted, I'm thinking 'Hardboiled' levels of lunacy would work...minus the doves and slow-mo, of course.

I also think it's Ennis' least puerile series...don't get me wrong, it's infantile as all hell, but without his usual sexual violence and homophobia.

Two words: The Defenestrator!
AUsual homophobia? Hmmmm. I count Ennis as actually one of the few mature, progressive writers out there whose characters have actually vocalized a stand against homophobia. He does let the devil out from time to time, but his over the top stuff is so iconic people forget about or miss what a truly classy writer he can be.
AYou have read, his 'Midnighter' , 'A Man Called Kev', and, of course, 'The Boys' right?

It also shows up in 'Preacher' most notably with 'The Sexual Detectives'...hell, it even appears, I guess, in 'Hitman' with 'Buenos Excelante'.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I'd love to see a Hitman movie.  I'd also love to see The Boys, but I guess my dreams of seeing Herogasm brought to life on the big or small screen are dead.

AThe Boys is good for the first couple trades then just keeps retelling the same story.
Quote:

You have read, his 'Midnighter' , 'A Man Called Kev', and, of course, 'The Boys' right?

It also shows up in 'Preacher' most notably with 'The Sexual Detectives'...hell, it even appears, I guess, in 'Hitman' with 'Buenos Excelante'.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Midnighter and Kev do not endorse homophobia; just the opposite.  The Kev series, as a whole, is about a narrow-minded man growing up (with great difficulty and  some help from Midnighter and others).   I dropped The Boys after the first couple of dozen issues, so I can't claim to know what's in there.  But TBH homophobia is not a complaint I've ever heard credibly levelled against Ennis.  On the surface it some may seem so, especially given the juvenile nature of many of his stories - but hell, going back to early Hellblazer when Constantine forms a rare bond with a 'rent boy' Ennis' view towards LGBT issues has been more complex than most writers, certainly more than most give him credit for.  The Punisher, at one time the most right-wing superhero in America, noted the absurdity of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.'  Even CBQ have given him props.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

The Boys is good for the first couple trades then just keeps retelling the same story.

How dare you!  Well, maybe, but it does it so entertainingly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subotai View Post

Midnighter and Kev do not endorse homophobia; just the opposite.  The Kev series, as a whole, is about a narrow-minded man growing up (with great difficulty and  some help from Midnighter and others).   I dropped The Boys after the first couple of dozen issues, so I can't claim to know what's in there.  But TBH homophobia is not a complaint I've ever heard credibly levelled against Ennis.  On the surface it some may seem so, especially given the juvenile nature of many of his stories - but hell, going back to early Hellblazer when Constantine forms a rare bond with a 'rent boy' Ennis' view towards LGBT issues has been more complex than most writers, certainly more than most give him credit for.  The Punisher, at one time the most right-wing superhero in America, noted the absurdity of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.'  Even CBQ have given him props.

I agree, Subotai.  I think he's also pretty good with women and animals, all things considered.

This is part of one of the best scenes Ennis has ever written.  The Midnighter doesn't turn Kev around in the Hereford pub, his ways are too set...But you can see the seed being planted that he's been wrong about everything.  It takes a few trades and the loss of his friend to see what a mistake he's made.

On another note, Streets of Glory and Dan Dare would also make terrific films.

Ennis himself directed a short based on his GN Stitched.

TBH it's pretty rough and the short running time doesn't allow for Ennis to show his deft hand at characterization...But it does hint that Ennis may have an active role in Preacher.

You know he actually wrote a Preacher script back in the '90s.  I even managed to get my hands on it, but I don't have it anymore.

Quote:

I agree, Subotai.  I think he's also pretty good with women and animals, all things considered.

Animals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

Animals?

Quote:

I.....so are other writer bad with animals?

Garth Ennis is the only comic book writer I read with any regularity, although I also like some Warren Ellis and Azzarello, so I don't really have a strong basis for comparison, but I like that he treats animals with respect in his comics.

AIn Preacher, Jesse saves a stray dog that's getting abused by a bad cop. The dog becomes his faithful traveling companion for a good run of the series.
Quote:

Garth Ennis is the only comic book writer I read with any regularity, although I also like some Warren Ellis and Azzarello, so I don't really have a strong basis for comparison, but I like that he treats animals with respect in his comics.

I never knew animal abuse was celebrated in comics.

Quote:

Don't tease me like that.

I've always thought that Ennis is a prime example of the adage that creativity thrives when it's forced to work within limitations. Taking away his use of sex, profanity and violence as crutches did wonders for him.