Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT Thread
Quote:

For the first time in four years, Americans are less accepting of LGBTQ people in a dangerous yet not wholly unexpected reversal of progress.

GLAAD released the findings from its fourth annual Accelerating Acceptance report today and they show that the attacks on the community by the Trump administration are having a real effect.

Sad to read.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Sad to read.

While it's just my off the cuff opinion generated from surfing the web, I think it's the "T" in the LGTBQ that's currently engendering the vast percentage of the non-acceptance.

Seems likely.  A couple of months back Australian law changed slightly in the rules for how permission for treatment is assessed and granted.  The thread that ensued was one of the largest on Australian reddit in a year.  It was chock full of "reasoning" rote learned from the whole right wing youtube circlejerk scene.

A couple of years ago I suspect no one would have batted and eye at the health concerns of some 0.1% of people.  Now they're some political rallying point because Anita Saarkeesian got stale or something.

The inevitable Kim Davis book is coming:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...ssion=true

Quote:

Kim Davis, a Kentucky county clerk who ignited a national controversy in 2015 for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, writes of "furious, fist-pounding, homosexual men" in an upcoming book.

“Kim chronicles her dramatic encounters with furious, fist-pounding, homosexual men and the hate mail that flooded her office," a description of the book says, according to the Lexington Herald-Leader.

According to the description of Davis's new book, "Under God's Authority: The Kim Davis Story," the Rowan County, Ky., clerk details her "unlikely saga" and touches on the "disastrous same-sex 'marriage' opinion."

I mentioned this a while back in the "Democratic" thread, but the news has expanded and it deserves to be here:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/03/wash...mpaign=RSS

Quote:

The Washington state House just passed a bill that would outlaw conversion therapy for people under the age of 18.

The bill would classify attempts to change a minor’s sexual orientation as “unprofessional conduct” for health care providers.

All the House Democrats voted in favor of the bill, along with twelve Republicans. The bill has already passed in the Senate, but it has to go back there for concurrence.

Supporters presented testimony from conversion therapy survivors and experts who said that conversion therapy does more harm than good.

“Questions of orientation and identity ultimately require a thoughtful evaluation,” said Douglas Haldeman, former president of the California Psychological Association.

“An understanding of people’s motivation, their background, their traumas — sure enough you’re going to uncover something where someone tried to gloss over something difficult in their life by attending to a social sanction of heterosexual identity,” he said.

Terry Trudel, a psychiatrist who offers conversion therapy, said that the bill will “punish people who responsibly offer the service.”

Republicans said that the most outrageous cases of conversion therapy are already banned because they amount to child abuse, and they argued that parents have a right to try to change their kids’ sexual orientation.

“We should not take away the ability for any individual to seek the treatment that they may choose, or that their parents may choose for them to have,” Washington senator Shelly Short ® when the senate was debating this bill in January.

The bill is expected to be signed by the governor, Jay Inslee, and it will make Washington the tenth state to ban the practice.
Quote:"Republicans said that the most outrageous cases of conversion therapy are already banned because they amount to child abuse, and they argued that parents have a right to try to change their kids’ sexual orientation."

Trying to get Republicans or religious folks to actually look at things from an opposite perspective is almost always an exercise in futility, but just look at that quote.  Imagine you "flipped" it so that it's talking about parents wanting to "turn" a straight child into a gay one.

Somehow, I think their talking points would change.
Anchorage, Alaska voters upheld transgender protections at the ballot box:

http://www.fairanchorage.org/press-relea...of-prop-1/

Quote:Today Fair Anchorage announced, based on the most recent numbers released by municipal officials, that Proposition 1, a ballot measure that would have removed nondiscrimination protections for transgender people from Anchorage’s city ordinances, has been defeated. The municipality has yet to officially declare the results, but with the NO campaign leading by 52.7%, and the YES campaign trailing behind by 47.3% with approximately fewer than 10K votes left to count, the campaign has declared it nearly impossible for Proposition 1 to pass.

This makes Anchorage the first American jurisdiction to uphold transgender protections on a standalone ballot measure. This win ensures that Anchorage remains one of more than 250 cities and 18 states across the country with similar protections in place.
Running for governor in Alabama as a Republican now entails pretending that federal funding to LGBTQ groups is actually state-funded and totally, totally bad:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/sto...612815002/

Quote:A federal grant to a Huntsville organization addressing bullying and domestic violence among LGBTQ individuals became an issue in the Republican race for governor Tuesday. 

In a statement and news conferences around the state, Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott Dawson accused incumbent Gov. Kay Ivey and the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA) of using taxpayer dollars for “the promotion and normalization of gay and transgender lifestyles among Alabama children.”

The money in question was a federal grant to the Huntsville-based Free2Be, aimed at combating bullying and domestic violence among LGBT individuals. Ivey's office said Tuesday that under federal rules, funds received under the federal Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) must go to groups serving underserved populations, including the LGBTQ community. 
"Gay conversion therapy" has been banned in Maryland.  There are now 11 states that have banned this "practice."

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/...rs-n874381

Quote:Maryland Gov. Lawrence J. Hogan, a Republican, signed the Youth Mental Health Protection Act into law on Tuesday, making the state the 11th to ban “gay conversion therapy” for minors.

Amit Paley, CEO of The Trevor Project, a national LGBTQ youth crisis intervention organization, called the law “a victory in our fight to protect LGBTQ young people everywhere from this dangerous and discredited practice."
A federal court in Virginia has sided with Gavin Grimm, a transgender student, saying that federal law protects transgender students from being forced to use separate restroom facilities:

https://acluva.org/en/press-releases/us-...ter-school

Quote:The U.S. District Court of the Eastern District of Virginia has denied the school board’s motion to dismiss the case of Gavin Grimm v. Gloucester County School Board and held that Title IX and the Constitution protect transgender students from being excluded from the common restrooms that align with their gender identity. The court directed the parties to schedule a settlement conference within 30 days.

"I feel an incredible sense of relief," said our client Gavin Grimm. "After fighting this policy since I was 15 years old, I finally have a court decision saying that what the Gloucester County School Board did to me was wrong and it was against the law. I was determined not to give up because I didn’t want any other student to have to suffer the same experience that I had to go through."
Add this to the "reasons Fred Rogers was an awesome human being" pile... CBS Sunday Morning did a segment about a new documentary on him called "Won't You Be My Neighbor". Couldn't find anything online, but they had a clip of Francois Clemmons talking about what Rogers meant to him ("I knew he meant it!") that was incredibly powerful. I really need to see this film. More here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wont-you-be...ghborhood/

https://hornet.com/stories/mister-rogers...ism-quiet/
I remember when Zach Wahls' speech went viral.  All these years later, he's likely about to become a state senator in Iowa:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/201...primaries/

Quote:Zach Wahls was a 19-year-old engineering student when he testified to the Iowa state House of Representatives about his moms. “In classroom discussions, the question always comes to, well, can gays even raise kids,” he said in 2011, speaking before a panel of lawmakers weighing a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage in the state. “And the conversation gets quiet for a moment because most people don’t have an answer. And then I raise my hand and say I was raised by a gay couple and I’m doing pretty well.” Wahl told the committee that he was an Eagle Scout who had started his own small business. “If I was your son, Mr. Chairman,” he said. “I believe I’d make you very proud.”

Wahls became a viral star. He went on Ellen. He spoke at the Democratic National Convention. And on Tuesday, he won his Democratic primary for a deep-blue Iowa state Senate seat, all but assuring the 26-year-old of a spot in the chamber next year.
Gender-based discrimination and gay conversion therapy for minors have been banned in New Hampshire.  Gov. Chris Sununu, a Republican, signed the laws, despite a conservative backlash within the state:

http://www.wmur.com/article/sununu-signs...y/21238908

Quote:The political fallout for Gov. Chris Sununu was sharply divided Friday after he signed into law two controversial bills -- one outlawing gender-based discrimination and another banning gay conversion therapy for minors.

Civil libertarians and LGBTQ rights advocates praised the Republican chief executive, with one group citing his "leadership and strength."

But a leading socially conservative advocacy group, acknowledging "a big loss," accused him of failing to stand by "Christian principles" and called for an election year commitment to "strengthen the Christian base" of the New Hampshire Legislature.

“Discrimination – in any form – is unacceptable and runs contrary to New Hampshire’s Live Free or Die Spirit,” Sununu said in a statement after signing House Bill 1319, the trangender rights bill. "If we really want to be the ‘Live Free or Die’ state, we must ensure that New Hampshire is a place where every person, regardless of their background, has an equal and full opportunity to pursue their dreams and to make a better life for themselves and their families.
I cannot stress this enough: Fuck the religious right. The only satisfaction that I get is that I'm pretty sure there is no hell or heaven, and that their last moments on earth is the realization they're about to step into the endless void and everything they've ever done was for fucking nothing.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
I find it scary how this story from last weekend seems has been ignored by a lot of the online national news aggregators I visit. I only recently heard about it when listening to NPR.

Four gay men leaving the Salt Lake City pride festival were followed by a large group of young white men men who intended to beat them up or worse. The four ran into a dessert shop and the employee working at the shop (who happens to be black) went outside and refused to let the mob enter, so they attacked the employee instead and only dispersed when a security guard from a neighboring business rushed over.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/06/05/p...-festival/
When life gives you lemons, lemonade is little consolation. 
Thanks for sharing that story out of Utah Tim. This thread was the only place I heard about it.
The absolute ignorance on display in this story is so astounding:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/19/opini...h-row.html

Quote:On Monday, the Supreme Court announced it would not stop South Dakota from killing a man who may have been sentenced to death because he is gay.

Some of the jurors who imposed the death penalty on Charles Rhines, who was convicted of murder, have said they thought the alternative — a life sentence served in a men’s prison — was something he would enjoy as a gay man.

During deliberations, the jury had often discussed the fact that Mr. Rhines was gay and there was “a lot of disgust” about it, one juror recalled in an interview, according to the court petition. Another said that jurors knew he was gay and “thought that he shouldn’t be able to spend his life with men in prison.” A third recounted hearing that if the jury did not sentence Mr. Rhines to death, “if he’s gay, we’d be sending him where he wants to go.”

The justices rejected Mr. Rhines’s plea to hear his bias claim, allowing his death sentence to stand despite disturbing evidence that it may have been the result of anti-L.G.B.T. animus. As usual, the court gave no explanation for its decision not to review the case. But its silence sent a deeply troubling message about the value placed on the lives of L.G.B.T. people.

In court papers opposing Mr. Rhines’s request for a fair sentence, South Dakota attempts to brush off this last remark as a “stab at humor” that didn’t land well. But a note from the jury to the sentencing judge leaves little doubt that this extraordinary assumption infected the jury’s decision-making process: “We know what the death penalty means. But we have no clue as to the reality of life without parole.”

In that note, the jurors went on to ask a series of questions aimed at whether Mr. Rhines would be in proximity to other men in prison. Would he “be allowed to mix with the general inmate population?” Would he be permitted “to discuss, describe or brag about his crime to other inmates?” Would he “have a cellmate?”

In other words, some members of the jury thought life in prison without parole would be fun for Mr. Rhines. So they decided to sentence him to death.
I never heard of a video bullying a teen for not being gay before, but here we are:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/high-sch...03318.html

Quote:The parents of teens who watched LGBTQ anti-bullying videos at school are threatening legal action unless they’re shown the footage. 

On Monday, members of the Emmaus High School community attended an East Penn School Board meeting dedicated to an April event in which students were shown videos titled “BuzzFeed Presents: 9 Questions Gay People Have for Straight People” and “Show Your Pride. Share Your Love,” according to the Morning Call, a Pennsylvania news website. 

“[The videos are essentially] giving advice to straight kids about how to be more sensitive to gay kids,” Superintendent Michael Schilder told the Morning Call of the April 27 presentation about a national Day of Silence. The day is a student-led event conceived by GLSEN (formerly the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) during which people take vows of silence to symbolize the suppression of LGBTQ students. 

However, when some parents learned of the videos, they were upset that family consent wasn’t required, nor were students given the option to decline the experience. For example, per the Morning Call, a father named Mike Huff said that watching the videos made his heterosexual son feel “bullied” for his own orientation.
I can't even......

"Hey, kids don't be pieces of shits."
"I'M BEING OPPRESSED!!!!!"
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
Just in case we needed a reminder of how delusionally hateful these people are...

Fox News pundit claims the B in LGBTQ stands for Bestiality

Quote:Per a recording of the interview from Right Wing Watch, she said: “They keep pushing out this idea, LGBTQ.
“We did the ‘L’ and the ‘G,’ they legalized marriage for themselves. We doing the ‘T’ now, the trans, and this is a big, big challenge in our society right now.
“They did the ‘Q’ where they’re changing all the textbooks, even as low as kindergarten, to reflect that you don’t know what you are, you’re questioning.
“But notice they skipped over the ‘B,’ and there are some that say this ‘B’ is going to bombard us with real vileness in our society if they get what they want because it’s not about bisexuality, it’s about bestiality.”
She added: “We do know that there is an agenda and we do know that there have been discussions about bestiality in their closed doors.“I’m just saying don’t be surprised if we find out that that ‘B’ is not what they said publicly… that we just love each other, that it may, in law, show up as something else.”
They can’t literally believe this, can they?
Superlaser speaks for me from now on.

-Bart
Too many grown allegedly adult people spend too much time thinking about what other grown adult (or even more sad, NOT YET adult) people may or may not be doing with their private parts. That's why they're called privates. To get the hint to fuck off back to what's their own business..

I have to just repeat that to myself sometimes. Being a straight, white male, I have to remind myself that other people's day to day lives involve injustices and scrutinies and emotions and whatever other things you can think of that I take for granted not having to endure..

But....keeping that in mind does exactly...what? I'm sure we all wish we could snap our fingers and make the world a better place on a grand scale. But we can't. So...remaining aware of these things leaves one to wonder how much one can actually do for other people. Not much. Not as much as we'd like. Not even close. So you're left to just feel like a piece of shit. I mean, my life is far easier for just FEELING like a piece of shit rather than being treated like one. Copy and paste this same thought to a half dozen or more other threads. I guess I'm in a real "fuck the world" mood right now..
Vermont Democrat Christine Hallquist is the first transgender major-party candidate nominated for governor:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/...srcref=rss

Quote:On Tuesday, those lessons paid off, and Ms. Hallquist, a Democrat, made history of her own. She became the first transgender candidate to be nominated for a governorship by a major party, beating three other candidates in Vermont’s Democratic primary, according to The Associated Press.

“Tonight, we made history,” Ms. Hallquist said, addressing supporters at an election night party in Burlington. She added, “I am so proud to be the face of the Democrats tonight.”

It is a remarkable milestone, even for an election year already dominated by an influx of women and a record number of candidates who identify as lesbian, gay, transgender or queer.

“Christine’s victory is a defining moment in the movement for trans equality and is especially remarkable given how few out trans elected officials there are at any level of government,” said Annise Parker, the chief executive of the L.G.B.T.Q. Victory Fund, which trains and supports gay and transgender candidates, in a statement on Tuesday evening. “Yet Vermont voters chose Christine not because of her gender identity, but because she is an open and authentic candidate with a long history of service to the state, and who speaks to the issues most important to voters.”
Adults.
https://www.advocate.com/transgender/201...er-student
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Jesse Hamilton, a New York state senator, purportedly said "I'm not for that third gender shit," when talking to a constituent about the LGBTQ community:

https://lawandcrime.com/lgbtq/im-not-for...obic-slur/

Quote:New York State senator Jesse Hamilton, a Democrat, is under fire after be accused of making anti-transgender comments to a constituent while campaigning for re-election in South Brooklyn on Tuesday morning. His staff says he was misinterpreted.

According to a post by Alejandra Caraballo in the closed Facebook group “Prospect Lefferts Gardens and Brooklyn Neighbors,” Hamilton was pressed about his support for the LGBTQ community. In response, Hamilton allegedly said, “I’m not for that third gender shit.”

Caraballo described how the situation unfolded. In her post, she wrote:

I ran into state senator Jesse Hamilton who was campaigning this morning in front of the Winthrop 2/5 stop. I asked him about GENDA (gender expression non discrimination act) and he tried to say he’s pro-LGBTQ and then literally says to me, “I’m not for that 3rd gender shit.” That just confirmed my vote for Zellnor Myrie.

In later comments, Caraballo was asked whether those were Hamilton’s actual words. She said, “Yes, those were his actual words. He tried attacking Zellnor as not supportive of the LGBTQ community and then casually dropped that line.”
This is not in response to anything in particular in this thread exactly....I just think it needs to be said...because some of this shit can backfire. That being said...if a person who has said anti-gay things in the past...especially if it's been a long time...appears to genuinely be reversing their stance and/or atoning for past deeds and opinions....that needs to be acknowledged instead of trying to destroy anyone and everyone who hasn't said or done everything perfectly 100% of the time..