Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fargo
...Rock and his rival are fathers who trade their sons to keep the peace? So is Rock playing Highfather or Darkseid?
I’m so down for Chris Rock in a Fargo season.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Seems like an odd fit, But Hawley's got my complete faith at this point. He could announce that next season would star Roseanne and be about an uprising of Mole Men in Minnesota in the 1800s and my response would be, "I'm there!"
Gamertag: Tweakee
Has S3 popped on Hulu yet?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
Don't think so. Hulu's deal with FX is a mess. I just buy Fargo on Amazon.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Weird that it's going to be in Missouri. Far cry from the frozen wastelands of Minnesota and North Dakota.
Season 3's on Hulu, and my wife's been rewatching it as we unpack boxes in our new place. I've been catching bits and pieces here and there and I think it's really grown on me. The stuff with MEW and Ray Wise in the bowling alley is just fantastic.

Also fantastic, still: "Is this what you want, Lester?"
home taping is killing music
(08-15-2018, 10:29 AM)boone daniels Wrote: Season 3's on Hulu

Yay! I've been wanting to revisit after having seen the first two seasons.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

Hawley was interviewed by TV Insider last month about LEGION, but there was this bit about FARGO:

Quote:By the way, is there anything Fargo-wise that you can talk about so far?

We’re writing and casting. We start shooting in October. It’s a big show. You can probably combine the first three seasons scale-wise and that would be the scale of [the fourth season]. It’s a big cast, complicated story, lots of moving pieces. The writers’ room is done. I’ve got about five or six scripts that are in various stages of completion. I’m excited.
sounds interesting, that was a consistently good show.
My PSN ID - electrichead72-----------------------------------------I'm not dumb! I'm smart! and I want respect!
The Wrap has got a new synopsis:

Quote:In 1950, at the end of two great American migrations — that of Southern Europeans from countries like Italy, who came to the US at the turn of the last century and settled in northern cities like New York, Chicago — and African Americans who left the south in great numbers to escape Jim Crow and moved to those same cities — you saw a collision of outsiders, all fighting for a piece of the American dream. In Kansas City, Missouri, two criminal syndicates have struck an uneasy peace. One Italian, one African American. Together they control an alternate economy — that of exploitation, graft and drugs. This too is the history of America.  To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their youngest sons.

Chris Rock plays the head of one family, a man who — in order to prosper — has surrendered his youngest boy to his enemy, and who must in turn raise his enemy’s son as his own. It’s an uneasy peace, but profitable.  And then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies.  And everything changes.  It’s a story of immigration and assimilation, and the things we do for money. And as always, a story of basically decent people who are probably in over their heads. You know, Fargo
And twelve new cast members:

Quote:JACK HUSTON as “Odis Weff”
JASON SCHWARTZMAN as “Josto Fadda”
BEN WHISHAW as “Rabbi Milligan”
JESSIE BUCKLEY as “Oraetta Mayflower”
SALVATORE ESPOSITO as “Gaetano Fadda”
ANDREW BIRD as “Thurman Smutney”
JEREMIE HARRIS as “Leon Bittle”
GAETANO BRUNO as “Constant Calamita”
ANJI WHITE as “Dibrell Smutney”
FRANCESCO ACQUAROLI as “Ebal Violante”
E’MYRI CRUTCHFIELD as “Ethelrida Pearl Smutney”
AMBER MIDTHUNDER (recurring) as “Swanee Capps”
Midthunder!
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Huston, Schwartzman and Whishaw are a big flex. Grabbing Jessie Buckley right as she's about to have A Moment is smart, too.
The name "Thurman Smutney" should win some award all on its own.
Every name on this show belongs in a Stephen King novel..
This is the first season to wholly take place in a more southern location, yes?

The Kansas City mafia figured into Season 2, though I don't remember how much time we spent geographically in Missouri.  This season does have the potential to look a bit different, though, as it is the first not to be filmed in Calgary.  They are shooting in Chicago this year.
Right, thus my use of the word "wholly." I'm a bit surprised but maybe Hawley & Co. felt like sticking rigidly to one or two states limited the stories they wanted to tell.

Olyphant joins cast:

https://deadline.com/2019/09/fargo-timot...202736657/

Quote:Olyphant plays a character named Dick “Deafy” Wickware in a major recurring role.
Hope he keeps the Raylan walk.
Dick “Deafy” Wickware.
“That which doesn't kill you wasn't done right.”—Khaya Dlanga
My interest just shot up about four thousand percent.

So excited!
I think these screen captures and giant (Dildi? Is there a plural?) are just the next step in the JJ Abrams online adventure series. Very slyly played, Bitches Leave.-Tom Fuchs
Man I hope he digs coal.
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
Seriously. Olyphant and Fargo feels like a perfect fucking fit.
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

Terrific article consisting of a conversation between Noah Hawley and Billy Bob Thornton about Season 1:

https://crimereads.com/noah-hawley-and-b...-of-fargo/
That reminded me the book's out!
This excerpt has me sold on it.
Just finished my rewatch of all three seasons. Season Three's gone up a bit in my estimation but remains, easily, the worst of them. One interesting difference: I was more than OK with Emmit's fate this time around.

Season Two remains my favorite; it just feels richer and deeper to me than S1. And when I try to sell people on the show, I tell them to watch S2 first. Knowing Lou survives really kills a lot of tension in S2.

All three are various gradients of excellent to me, but yes, Season 2 is still the one to beat.  I think Season 3 has the most to gain in retrospect, appreciation-wise, which is interesting because it was the most consciously topical season.  I still find the whole "Let's extract the color blue in Da Vinci Resolve" concept for visually distinguishing it from the earlier seasons to be a laughably crude way of hitting upon a style, though.
I suspect that S3 plays better as a binge watch vs a weekly episodic watch.
It does.