Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Misogyny and the discrimination and abuse of women in the US and around the world
A[quote name="Merriweather" url="/community/t/150432/misogyny-and-the-discrimination-and-abuse-of-women-here-and-around-the-world/100#post_3807676"]Please just stop, man. You've walked into a mature, reasoned debate and started trying to take potshots with a potato gun. It's kind of sad.
[/quote]

Yes. I stand by that advice.

ANo, you clearly haven't. You've brought some pissy vendetta from another thread in here and are refusing to let it drop so you can "score points" and other "self-centred nonsense". Let it go, bro. I'm done discussing this in here.

You're doing the exact same thing in this thread that you're doing over there, with the exact same pet cause and the exact same sarcastic childishness. You even went on a rant about this very topic in the other thread. It's not a pissy vendetta - it's me calling you out on the crap you're spouting.

A[quote name="PMR" url="/community/t/150432/misogyny-and-the-discrimination-and-abuse-of-women-here-and-around-the-world/90#post_3807474"]Despite what Merriweather thinks, I myself didn't make any connection to the other thread and I'd rather keep that discussion over there in Video Games. Thanks.[/quote]

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you prefer your life compartmentalized and untroubled by the views of others.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you prefer your life compartmentalized and untroubled by the views of others.

You put it in a much nicer way than I would have.

AYesterday at work a group of six or seven women in my office were huddled together, looking at pictures from the iCloud celebrity nude leaks on their phones and going on and on about who has the "best tits" and so on. I'm not even trying to prove a point, it's just funny (and unprofessional as fuck*).

Lady creeps, man. They're brazen!

*I suppose I could have reported it to HR just to be a dick to one of the women, a co-worker whom I strongly dislike, but nah...
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Yesterday at work a group of six or seven women in my office were huddled together, looking at pictures from the iCloud celebrity nude leaks on their phones and going on and on about who has the "best tits" and so on. I'm not even trying to prove a point, it's just funny (and unprofessional as fuck*).

Lady creeps, man. They're brazen!

*I suppose I could have reported it to HR just to be a dick to one of the women, a co-worker whom I strongly dislike, but nah...

You realize this is the misogyny thread, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yt View Post

Well......I guess women are capable of it too.

A[quote name="yt" url="/community/t/150432/misogyny-and-the-discrimination-and-abuse-of-women-here-and-around-the-world/100#post_3808137"]
[/quote]

And? Considering the debate of the last few pages the "incident" was amusing to me so I mentioned it here and in a way that clearly wasn't meant to be taken as some kind of serious indictment of anyone or anything.

It is a thing that happened. I thought it was funny and ironic in the context of this conversation (if grossy unprofessional in the context of the workplace). If you wish to accuse me of something extremely elaborate, I don't mind hearing it.

Edit: To elaborate on my own personal workplace policy, I have a strict policy of no personal discussions, no gossip. I don't even date co-workers (bad past experiences). I have actually reported an inappropriate conversation to HR before, but only because it was about another coworker and it was a fairly explicit conversation that I knew she wouldn't appreciate. That's the way I do it, that's how I keep the peace. I practice detachment until I believe someone might get hurt or there's hate speech going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

Well......I guess women are capable of it too.

Quote:

And? Considering the debate of the last few pages the "incident" was amusing to me so I mentioned it here and in a way that clearly wasn't meant to be taken as some kind of serious indictment of anyone or anything.

It is a thing that happened. I thought it was funny and ironic in the context of this conversation (if grossy unprofessional in the context of the workplace). If you wish to accuse me of something extremely elaborate, I don't mind hearing it.

Edit: To elaborate on my own personal workplace policy, I have a strict policy of no personal discussions, no gossip. I don't even date co-workers (bad past experiences). I have actually reported an inappropriate conversation to HR before, but only because it was about another coworker and it was a fairly explicit conversation that I knew she wouldn't appreciate. That's the way I do it, that's how I keep the peace. I practice detachment until I believe someone might get hurt or there's hate speech going on.

I'm not accusing you of anything, just pointing out the difference between "funny and ironic observations I make about women at my workplace" and what this thread--the only one of its kind on CHUD--is supposed to be about.  Imagine posting what you just did in the racism thread, only instead of women the subjects of your post were people of color, and your post followed a serious discussion about the individual and institutional racism surrounding the murder of Michael Brown?

AThere is not a single serious-minded thread on this MB that doesn't contain a handful of jokes / light-hearted observations per page. Not one (including this one before my post). If you expect people to approach subjects as wide-ranging and complicated as misogyny and gender-based discrimination without a speck of humor, without a single inch of levity, then you are, one, weirdly disconnected from how humans work, and two, bound to be deeply disappointed.

Also, I'd like to stress that, considering the debate it followed, my little aside was hardly a non sequitur.

As I mentioned earlier, I was actually preparing to post something really dark and distressing, but at this point it's going to seem loaded. You're more than welcome to create another conversation.
Quote:

Originally Posted by yt View Post

Quote:

I'm not accusing you of anything, just pointing out the difference between "funny and ironic observations I make about women at my workplace" and what this thread--the only one of its kind on CHUD--is supposed to be about.  Imagine posting what you just did in the racism thread, only instead of women the subjects of your post were people of color, and your post followed a serious discussion about the individual and institutional racism surrounding the murder of Michael Brown?

Man darrylayo sounds like a fucking party.

AI was going to post a further thought on what I believe yt is saying to me with that post, but as a person who has himself bemoaned the lack of women on CHUD, I will, for the sake of civility, decline to respond any further to the content of that post.
AIt's called "biting the allies".
Quote:

It's called "biting the allies".

It is?

AI'd say Johnny's on the side of the angels here, so yeah, I would suggest other fish to fry.
Quote:

I'd say Johnny's on the side of the angels here, so yeah, I would suggest other fish to fry.

Funny thing is I read that wrong. For some reason I read that as alleys which confused me greatly, sorry.

Rolling Stone apologized for its recent campus rape story:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news...s-20141205

I fear the fallout for this.  Rape apologists will pound this into the ground for a long time, and editors might be more hesitant to tell the stories of rape victims.

AOh, Jesus. This is bad. The fate of rape victims doesn't hang on this one story, but even if this is a total fiction, I hope that those who are or become victims don't let shit like this dissuade them from reporting it. I understand shame and pressure and fear and all that, but if it happens, I hope victims find it within themselves to get it out there.
AAs they say at The Intercept, national pop culture magazines aren't the best forum for justice-seeking victims anyway.
ANah, Brick was simply a smug meathead. PMR is a more refined species of haughty.

Oh, shit. You weren't playing.
AI usually don't.
Quote:

It's been suggested to me that you and BrickBurgundy are the same person. I was never too certain, but how about I play it safe? Yeah. That works for me.

So all I needed to do to get banned after years on this board was 1) hold a couple of unpopular political opinions, 2) rub someone the wrong way with those opinions to the degree that they "suggested" to a mod that I was another poster with a completely dissimilar writing style (apparently because we both once said "Happy Thanksgiving, everyone" rofl) and 3) make the mistake of posting in the same thread as that mod, who was too lazy to verify that our IP addresses were different.

Explain further if I've read you wrong.

AOh man, you got banned?
APMR isn't the only one getting banned, is he? Because as much as I disagree with the guy on some issues, he wasn't the one chasing people from thread to thread in order to keep personal arguments going. He was on the receiving end, and the person doing it to him had another feud running with Burgundy, so it's not hard to put two and two together to figure out who quietly accused PMR of being some kind of sockpuppet.
This banning looks like the culmination of a harassment campaign directed at PMR, from where I'm sitting. It's not okay, no matter how much I disagree with him on substance.
A25 years ago today.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/École_Pol...e_massacre
AI didn't take any notice of PMR until receiving complaints about him. I made a decision.
ADo you believe that reconsidering a bad decision would do more to undermine your authority than sticking to it?
AI reconsider decisions all the time. I have no trouble with a little self-reflection.
AOkay. I read "I made a decision" as "I have spoken, the verdict is in, etc."

I won't pester you further about it for now, but I do hope that this isn't the last of this story. I'd like to think it would take more to get me banned than someone merely accusing me of bannable offenses, because I didn't give him the last word in an argument.
That and we really don't need to have PMR on a persecution kick.

Speaking of pop culture magazines not being the best source for news, Rolling Stone has good hard news stories. It is the best source on issues like the lack of Wall Street reform and climate change. I was surprised to learn that they didn't fact check the UVA story.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
AHannah Rosin has a good piece on the matter on Slate.
AMatt Taibbi would be a credit to any outlet that he were to write for.