Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Misogyny and the discrimination and abuse of women in the US and around the world
So, uh... this sounds completely and totally deranged:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-roe...omi-lahren

"THR’s piece also cast the filmmakers as victims, detailing their struggles to secure filming locations and keep ahold of cast and crew who objected to the “PG-rated” film’s “pro-life tilt”—a particularly hot-button issue in light of Justice Kennedy’s recently-announced retirement and the precarious state of Roe v. Wade.  

What the THR piece failed to disclose is why the cast and crew of Roe v. Wade have been dropping like flies out of the project, as well as the project's true nature—including several graphic scenes depicting aborted fetuses, according to several crew members who spoke to The Daily Beast on the condition of anonymity, fearing reprisals."
"Conservative actors Stephen Baldwin and Kevin Sorbo were initially cast as Supreme Court justices but left upon receiving the script."

When your right-wing flick makes The Weird-looking Baldwin and Hercules back away, that's saying something.
Gamertag: Tweakee
Hey, I just found out there’s a subset of incels who...I can’t even type “believe”

CLAIM to believe that they don’t have girlfriends because the children destined to grow up and become those girlfriends were victims of wanton abortions.

I keep thinking we’ve hit the bottom of the barrel but there’s another barrel beneath the barrel and it’s well past sell-by date.
“I feel a connection with you. A man connection. A mannection.”
NPR covered a new book about soccer/football and somehow managed to both omit the co-author's remarks and that there was a co-author.

The omitted author was a woman.

https://work.qz.com/1326146/nprs-all-thi...ts-erased/
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
(07-13-2018, 06:43 AM)lightning slim Wrote: Hey, I just found out there’s a subset of incels who...I can’t even type “believe”

CLAIM to believe that they don’t have girlfriends because the children destined to grow up and become those girlfriends were victims of wanton abortions.

I keep thinking we’ve hit the bottom of the barrel but there’s another barrel beneath the barrel and it’s well past sell-by date.

Part of the "fun" of observing incels is that they're so lost in their delusions, it becomes darkly comedic to see how just how low they're willing to go while also maintaining that they're the victims.

But at the same time: it is low-hanging fruit.  Incels are what--and I can't believe I'm saying this but it's here we are in 2018--Nazis used to be.

Still it's nice knowing that no matter how awful I feel--at least I'm not an Incel.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
(07-13-2018, 08:54 PM)Nooj Wrote: https://work.qz.com/1326146/nprs-all-thi...ts-erased/

Goddammit, nooj!
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

The fact that NPR did this does make it perfect.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
It was a bit of a toss-up where to post this but I haven't seen any discussion of Hannah Gadsby's Nanette show around here yet
It could go here, or the LGBT thread, or the Netflix thread(s), I dunno. Can't put it in the humour sub since that is home to only sports news spam these days.

Anyhow, it's a stand up comedy routine that's made a bit of a splash and anytime an Australian makes it overseas we must lavish them with attention.

The thing you'll read about it a lot is it's fairly hard hitting and serious at times, with a meta comedy analysis from a feminist lesbian perspective (and art history, believe it or not).

If you're a bit of a comedy connoisseur I would recommend not taking the hype too seriously. A lot of outlets are calling it a "revolution in comedy" and things like that. Which it isn't. Often emotional social commentary and personal stories have been a part of the genre since the very start. I found it to be good at what it does though - which is the lighter sort of good natured humour taking you on a kind of dark journey about why she uses that sort of humour in the first place. It's really interesting.

That might sound like faint praise, but I don't want any passing dudes to run off with the brewskis expecting some stinging givenofucks gut buster. It's stinging, but not quite in the usual way.

An article to make the post worthwhile

http://junkee.com/hannah-gadsby-nanette-project/168201
Nanette is amazing and should be required viewing for everyone on the planet.

I don't have the words for this story.  Geez.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/world...india.html

Quote:For months, the police say, a group of men took turns raping an 11-year-old girl.

In the gated community in Chennai, India, where the girl lived with her parents, the men gave her soft drinks laced with drugs, the police said. They filmed themselves raping her, brandishing knives and threatening to release the videos if the girl told her family, the police said.

The men were not intruders in the gated community, but employees who greeted residents, operated the elevator or brought water coolers to apartments.

When news broke on Monday that the authorities in Chennai, a coastal city in the southeast, had arrested 17 men accused of raping or molesting the girl over a period of seven months, chaos erupted at the complex in an older part of the city. Residents dismissed the building’s remaining staff members. Women volunteered to guard the complex’s entrances, and some called for the suspects to be hanged.

Indian television channels ran lengthy news segments with banner headlines that read, simply, “Chennai Horror.”

“This story has shaken me to the core,” Rohini Singh, an Indian journalist, wrote on Twitter. “An entire community got together to rape a child. I cannot even fathom the depravity and horror of this act.”

This has been a year punctuated by brutal crimes against young girls in India. In January, an 8-year-old was kidnapped, locked in a Hindu temple, gang raped and beaten to death. In May, a teenager in central India was set on fire after her parents told a village council that men in the area had raped their daughter. In June, a 7-year-old was raped in the state of Madhya Pradesh, also in central India. Afterward, the two men slit her throat and left her to die.
India has fucking issues. Like, every country does, especially in regards to how they treat women.

But that's just downright barbaric, and it seems to be happening more and more over there.

Also: In that very same article....this crime caused so much outrage that a group of lawyers stomped the group of men and refused to represent them

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/101917905...5262843%2F

I recognize how ignorant my comments come off since I do recognize that this doesn't represent all of India and I don't know about India culture, but man....It kind of makes me sick to my stomach.
 I think all Marvel films are okay. This is my design.

Except for Thor 2: the literal worst.
From the outside you seem to be right though. It's like how as soon as feminism gets loud in the west there's a whole masculinist backlash. In India you get the more extreme version. As women's rights movements start to gain traction you see this vicious acting out by men, including things like rape punishment gangs and the like.
(07-19-2018, 09:40 AM)ska oreo Wrote: India has fucking issues.  Like, every country does, especially in regards to how they treat women.

But that's just downright barbaric, and it seems to be happening more and more over there.  

Also: In that very same article....this crime caused so much outrage that a group of lawyers stomped the group of men and refused to represent them

https://twitter.com/ANI/status/101917905...5262843%2F

I recognize how ignorant my comments come off since I do recognize that this doesn't represent all of India and I don't know about India culture, but man....It kind of makes me sick to my stomach.

I'll admit, the first article made me wonder:  Is it really a growing problem in India or is it sensationalized by western Media?  It isn't as if similar crimes don't happen in the US.  I don't mean this as whataboutism, but with India it's presented as a fundamental problem with their culture while in the US if a child gets gang-raped it's never even dared to be suggested that there's a cultural problem (unless of course the perpetrators were of a certain skin tone or national origin in which case it's dogwhistled all to hell).

I don't know the actual per-capita rates, so my question is basically:  Is India really worse than say, the US when it comes to this stuff, or is it just presented like they are?
(07-19-2018, 01:23 PM)jmacq1 Wrote: Is India really worse than say, the US when it comes to this stuff, or is it just presented like they are?

Being of Indian descent, it sickens me to hear this horrible story about this poor girl and the constant troubling stories of women being mistreated. What those animals did does no represent me or many other Indian men.

I never actually LIVED in India though, as I was born and raised in America, so I can't give accurate statistics. From what I can gather, it has always been an issue, but it's only been recently - mainly after the horrific Delhi gang rape of 2012 - that the authorities have taken steps to curb this stuff.

There are many Indian men who respect women (it's a country with many female deities after all), but there's a LOT who need to smacked some basic civility into. For proof, see the recent situation where many Indian male commentators slut-shamed a Bollywood actress after she did a nude scene.