Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Post-Release Thread

Ha ha........................................ yes.

EDIT: And it's just simply lazy motivation to get Harry to go mental, he becomes a homocidal maniac because Peter wouldn't give him his magic blood (without sufficient reason to be fair, Peter's being a bit of a dick).

Fucking Orci and Kurtzman...

Jokezilla pretty much nails the issues. Webb directs the shit out of the movie and the cast is really good, but the script is just a nightmare of overstuffing and barely thought-out motivations and horribly misjudged moments (seriously, the Electro death is so awfully handled). I feel really bad for Webb and his cast - if these guys had been left alone on this it could've been great. But the Sony/Orci/Kurtzman hydra just wreaks havoc on it.

One thing they did get right: leaving MJ on the cutting room floor. As tonally disastrous as some of this is, I think it would have been unbearable to be prepping Peter's next love interest whilst he was actively grieving over the love of his life that he just got killed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post

One thing they did get right: leaving MJ on the cutting room floor. As tonally disastrous as some of this is, I think it would have been unbearable to be prepping Peter's next love interest whilst he was actively grieving over the love of his life that he just got killed.

NO!!!!

How else could they have topped the awfulness of the previous movie's "...the best kind..." ending????

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

NO!!!!

How else could they have topped the awfulness of the previous movie's "...the best kind..." ending????

Getting her actually killed kind of REALLY tops that IMO.

Between that scene, him needlessly fucking with Flash and seemingly most of his actions in the sequel...Parker is coming off like one major league asshole in this reboot.

Congrats Orci and Kurtzman, you proved J. Jonah Jameson right.

SPOILER SPACE

To be fair, it doesn't play as transparently awfully as all that here. Pete is haunted by the glowy ghost of George Stacy, and he does actually break it off with Gwen because of the guilt.

ASo now there's a Spider-Man 2 Uncle Ben ghost fantasy but with Dennis Leary? Where's that Sienfeld gets up gif?
AOrci and Kurtzman have a weird-ass obsession with magic blood. Someone should check their basements for bodies.
AI don't think there's any situation where someone has written themselves into a corner that can't be fixed with a little magic blood..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post

SPOILER SPACE

To be fair, it doesn't play as transparently awfully as all that here. Pete is haunted by the glowy ghost of George Stacy, and he does actually break it off with Gwen because of the guilt.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AI'm so looking forward to probably not liking this.
AThat sentence is the internet in a nutshell.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradito View Post

I'm so looking forward to probably not liking this.

You know it!

Good movie or bad movie... I WIN!!

The only way I lose?  That it's too boring to enjoy on that level.

AIt was aggressively okay but the emo stuff from the first is dialled up to 11 and the Rhino is pointless....

I think the problems with this take on the character can be summed up by Harry Osbournes costume and general appearance in an elevator scene with Gwendoline Stacy. Is that Osbourne or a member of My Chemical Romance?

It's a shame because like the first film whenever Spidey is in costume the film really comes alive
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd Dobler View Post

It was aggressively okay but the emo stuff from the first is dialled up to 11

There was emo stuff in the first film?

A[quote name="User_32" url="/community/t/150557/the-amazing-spider-man-2-post-release-thread/50#post_3703025"]
There was emo stuff in the first film?
[/quote]

Um........yeah?

I know this has been brought up before, but I love how warped it is that the one element that makes Peter Parker interesting, his relatability to latchkey kids, and completely ruins it. Now, Peter Parker isn't only special from conception, but he's a jerk with a beautiful girlfriend who beats up scientists (Electro/Lizard). It's nutty.

AASM2 for all its faults kinda retcons the special from conception idea.
Quote:

Originally Posted by leederick View Post

ASM2 for all its faults kinda retcons the special from conception idea.

How?

ASpoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

ASM1 sorta hints that Peter was genetically engineered by his parents to be some sort of human-spider thing. ASM2 explains that the spider was engineered with Peters dads dna, so peter gets powers when bitten when anyone else wouldn't have. But Peter's just normal.

That aside. The movies a mess, but there are bits that really work. I'm sure there's a fan edit in there which does away with the magic blood and the superspy parents and the superman 3 level comedy which is a good film.
AThat's actually not the worst explanation I could have come up with.
Quote:

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

ASM1 sorta hints that Peter was genetically engineered by his parents to be some sort of human-spider thing. ASM2 explains that the spider was engineered with Peters dads dna, so peter gets powers when bitten when anyone else wouldn't have. But Peter's just normal.

That aside. The movies a mess, but there are bits that really work. I'm sure there's a fan edit in there which does away with the magic blood and the superspy parents and the superman 3 level comedy which is a good film.

SPOILER SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is, that was pretty easy to guess from the basis of the first movie, the whole parents/hidden revelation reveals itself in this movie to be an utter waste solely on the grounds that it doesn't improve,offer a new twist on or enrich the character at all.

The main thought process when the subway reveal has concluded, for me anyway, was "Oh good, I'm glad that's over, let us never speak of it again". They were obligated to include the weird parent's thing in the first movie to differentiate the origin story, and in turn in the sequel they were obligated to finish that story off. But it's a boring pointless story, and I'm just glad they somewhat discarded it and hopefully it won't appear in the third picture.

More thoughts on this movie:

They truly over-cooked the marketing, there are number of moments,images and even characters that would work as great surprises if they hadn't been directly telegraphed in the numerous trailers and TV Spots released. It's a real shame because this film is so stuffed with content (both good and bad) that to make a great trailer without ruining bits would have been easy, but they didn't even attempt it.

One trailer even leaned heavily on an "Enemies Unite" angle despite the fact that none of them appear in their finished forms on screen together (Harry and Electro become buds but pre-goblin). The fact that the Rhino, who is simply a mini-baddie for the final scene, appears so much in the trailers (final shot of the film as well) is really stupid, they shouldn't have said he was in it at all, it would have been an awesome, fun surprise, but no.

Also, I'm still really annoyed that Spider-Man just kills Electro - it really feels wrong.

Still, there's some legit great stuff in this crazy movie, including the insular construction of the big moment that everyone will be talking about it, and the music, which is so weird but really ends up working. It is by far a more successful film than the first ASM.

AIs Spidey leaping towards the Rhino with the manhole cover the last shot of the picture?

I guess I'm asking, is suited Rhino essentially The Underminor from The Incredibles?
AYes.
AThat's fucking insane.

And I say that as someone who is really up for this film.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike's Pants View Post

So they spoil the ending in the trailers?

That's fucking insane.

And I say that as someone who is really up for this film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename View Post

Fucking Orci and Kurtzman...

Well, when the best you can do is Star Trek 09 and steal other people's scripts, what is there to be surprised about?

AIt kind of works in context. Let me spoil the shit out of this.

Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler Spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

The film rotates through a standard villain origin with electro. Carries on with the Gwen/Peter romance, and sets up Harry. Peter straight up murders Electro (which yeah, feels totally wrong as true to the character he'd been so compassionate earlier), Harry swoops in and kills Gwen. Peter goes into mourning, gives up being Spider-man and Oscorp carries on putting together a bunch of villains. The confrontation with Rhino is just to show he's come to terms with Gwen's death and is back in action. So it's more of thematic than plot importance.

Also gotta say Jokezilla is really on the button with his thoughts on the film.

Personally, the further I get from having watched it, the more I like it. I can forget the terrible parts, and the bits that work are absolutely outstanding. I'm really, really looking forward to ASM3. The crap caused by the reboot is out the way. The villains are all set up, and Webb has absolutely nailed the personality of Spider-man and shown he's capable of really good action and character beats. It could well be an incredible true to the character adaptation of Spider-man.

I kinda can't wait to see this movie.

Listening to Zimmer's score now and it's quite LOONY.  It sounds like he's having more fun with this.  More than anything, that's what's got me excited to see the movie.

It's some kind of insane mix of Vangelis, Vince DiCola, Hirasawa Susumu and more!

Quote:

Yes.

Jesus, this shit is so predictable.

I'm really looking forward to it also.  The tech whore in me really wants to see the 3D stuff in here, more then I care to admit.

AI have to admit I wish I had seen it in IMAX 3D because I bet the opening is stunning with its POV shots swinging through NYC

It may be the IMAX theaters in my area, but I have never enjoyed a 3D movie in Imax.  I see so much ghosting that it bugs the fuck out of me and I know the difference between IMAX and LIEMAX.  Dunno.

IMAX tends to ghost for me as well (mostly when it comes to bright highlights, unlike Real3D.

I've wondered why that is.

A[quote name="cccc" url="/community/t/150557/the-amazing-spider-man-2-post-release-thread/90#post_3703427"]It may be the IMAX theaters in my area, but I have never enjoyed a 3D movie in Imax.  I see so much ghosting that it bugs the fuck out of me and I know the difference between IMAX and LIEMAX.  Dunno.
[/quote]

My local is a Liemax but if you sit in a certain row in a specific chair then it's completely immersive as long as there isn't too much shaky cam