Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Week Tonight

Pretty solid opener, with several laugh-out-loud moments. Oliver's in fine form, and the video giving Oregonians shit was just aces.

After his run at hosting the Daily Show I was impressed at how funny Oliver truly was.

That "Fuck you" after the Pop Tarts commercial was SO PERFECT.

It's like a video version of The Bugle but with less puns. I heartily approve.

And for those without HBO, the full version is available on YouTube:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014...video.html

I like it so far....don't love it.

There were a couple of good, hearty chuckles but, and I'll probably get shit for this, it struck me as one long Daily Show segment without the profanity 'beeped' out.

I think it might suffer from being only on one night a week when a lot of the news will have already been mined of humor by TDS, Colbert, and all the other late night talk shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

I like it so far....don't love it.

There were a couple of good, hearty chuckles but, and I'll probably get shit for this, it struck me as one long Daily Show segment without the profanity 'beeped' out.

I think it might suffer from being only on one night a week when a lot of the news will have already been mined of humor by TDS, Colbert, and all the other late night talk shows.

Yeah, I get that. I'm guessing they're going to go for more stories like the election in India, stories that are going virtually unmentioned in U.S. 'news'.

That interview with the former head of the NSA was great as well. Especially the rebranding ideas.

The interviews should keep the mocking, semi-hostile tone whenever appropriate.

Those of you who liked this and aren't listening to his podcast are missing out. A lot.

I like how the background for his show seems to have a building from every city on Earth.

Also, that youtube video is clutch, it's not on HBO ondemand for some reason.

Edit- Did he just advocate the desecration of commercial products b/c of their blatant lies?  Sign me up.

He's carving out quite the niche for himself. Any other show would have been all over Sterling but here it was just the one throwaway line.

I'm telling you guys. This is The Bugle in video form. And solo. And with less puns. If you like this and you're not listening to his podcast you're missing out.

He's super funny.  I like how aggressive he is in this.  If he ever had any f***s to give, he's all out of them now.

I'm enjoying it but I still find it lacking.

IMO, The one thing that comes to mind is the size of the studio....it's too big. It should be slightly smaller and more intimate. (kinda like on TDS and Colbert)

A comparison that comes to mind is the sets for Conan's show. He (like Craig Ferguson) seem to work better in a smaller space....you get a more personal vibe that way.

Have just seen Oliver's twelve minute segment on the Death Penalty and thought it was kind of awesome.

AI'm liking it so far. But it's still a bit too daily show-ish.

Talk about shitting all over Kentucky.  Also the real representative debate about climate change was pretty great.

AI dunno, I get what he was doing with the climate change thing. I just thought it was poorly executed.

Still the Kentucky stuff and "why is this still a thing" were awesome.

Just great:

He was on fire last night.  Top to bottom, a great show.

AI didn't know Australia had their own Bush. Him just nodding at the reporter was great. And then the Reporter called him by his first name and not Mr Prime Minister.

That demolition of Abbott has been all over the Australian quadrant of Facebook since yesterday.  While everyone's cheering that he so completely destroyed the man, we're all also pretty bummed that the country that gave us George W Bush is now laughing their ass off (and rightfully so) at our elected leader.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

That demolition of Abbott has been all over the Australian quadrant of Facebook since yesterday.  While everyone's cheering that he so completely destroyed the man, we're all also pretty bummed that the country that gave us George W Bush is now laughing their ass off (and rightfully so) at our elected leader.

It was fan-tastic.

Be assured that NZ is also laughing our collective arses off Smile

Apparently there has been a significant upswing in NZers returning home from Aus (dubbed the reverse brain drain).  I think this can almost exclusively be put down to the Abbott factor.

Because let's face it, our home grown politics is a massive bag of shite at the moment:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics...Party 

As an aside I can't take Laila Harre seriously because she looks just too much like Nicola Murray

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Bain View Post

Apparently there has been a significant upswing in NZers returning home from Aus (dubbed the reverse brain drain).  I think this can almost exclusively be put down to the Abbott factor.

Yeah, apparently last month was the first time in years that there were more kiwis moving back from Aus than moving to Aus.  But that's not what Abbott's mate Rupert is telling everyone in his papers - a month or so back they were running some great propaganda about how 400,000 kiwis will move to Australia alone this year and all get on the dole, draining the taxpayers (which is impossible as NZers are the only migrants that can't apply for any government benefits whatsoever OR apply for citizenship if you arrived after 2001).  We're getting royally fucked over here at the moment, and Abbott's kiwi wife doesn't seem to give a shit as long as she's safe.

But not to derail . . . agreed that Oliver was absolutely on fire this week!  He's done a fantastic job of creating his own niche and staying relevant while the other guys get all week to pick carcasses dry before he gets to them.  Picking up stories before they get to them helps (Stewart had that great ongoing piece about the Indian elections, but Oliver did a piece on it first, for example).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Just great:

I was on my way to post that.  That clip alone has sold me on watching the show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Singer View Post

Just great:

That was amazing.

I'm going to see if they show this with the other HBO stuff on Sky over here, as that's the second monologue from this show which I've now seen that has been fantastic (the other was the eight or nine minutes spent talking about the death pentalty).

First the FIFA rant, and then Right Said Fred? Holy shit, this show.

AThis show is perfect. Comedy Central should have done anything to keep his ass. I'm bet they wish Colbert left a few months earlier.

I can't believe the FCC guy said he wasn't a dingo. Did he learn nothing from Christine "I am not a witch" O'Donnell?

This show is so damn good, he lays issues out so plainly you almost feel like an idiot for misunderstanding them. The bears fucking face to face killed me.

"I would like to state, for the record, that I am not a dingo."

Holy shit.

I don't know which option is funnier:

a) The not being a dingo stuff is sincere and completely oblivious to how ridiculous it is.

b) The guy was actually trying to make a joke.

I love that he didn't even know what a dingo was, and had to look it up. I'm willing to give him some credit either way. I mean, other than being a horrible shill, of course.

A"Damn Warren...you nasty"

The Harding segment fucking killed.

SALMON CANNON.

Oliver's political rants are often spot-on, but sometimes it's just fun to see him shoot a salmon cannon at some amazing targets.

What an amazing season finale. I'm not sure there's anything left on pay cable that interests me this season. The Comeback, maybe? I dunno.