Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Film Critic Catch-All
Not to derail, but why does GET OUT demand a big screen? I’d think horror is the best type of movie for “traveling” to a home screen.
GET OUT was a FANTASTIC film to see with a packed audience. To feel that audience's energy shift to dread when the cop car drives up in the final moment?

That's why.

Horror travels well into the home, but it's also something really special with a crowd of people you don't know when it really works.

That said, I have no affection for the Paranormal Activities movies, but those were some of the most reliable theatrical experiences in terms of pure audience entertainment value.

It's why I still love theaters.
The communal experience is something theaters will always offer than any form of home viewing cannot compete with, outside of people taking to social media en masse to share in an event (see: Shudder/Joe Bob), which even then isn't quite the same. It's the main reason I'm a fanatic about going to the first showing for any movie, as it's that audience who will be on the best wavelength while being the most respectful.
There's two parts of a theatrical experience: Big Screen and With An Audience. Horror and comedy both benefit from the communal factor of the audience, but neither demand the Big Screen, imo. Boone's post referring to the screen and not the audience is what raised the question.
Get Out is a gorgeous movie. The Sunken Place in particular is probably a sight to see on the big screen.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
Yes, GET OUT is visually stunning on the big screen, and I think that horror actually benefits more from the theatrical experience than perhaps other genres do - not just for the communal aspect, but because a really well-done and tense horror/thriller feels immersive, and is impossible to get away from when in a theater. This is how I felt most recently about MANDY.

But I did mean to refer to the audience experience, and probably should have said "in the theater" rather than "on the big screen" (I use both interchangeably).

I don't think I've ever experienced anything in a movie theater like the moment between the lights shining on Chris's face and the eventual reveal of Rod. It was a packed house, and the collective intake of breath and eruption of laughter was truly remarkable.
home taping is killing music
I kinda feel like Flemming wins the argument right out of the gate:

Quote:I bet most of you voters bound to protect the sanctity of the theatrical release are making decisions based on watching screeners on our television sets.
My karmic debt must be huge.

----------

My blog: An Embarrassment of Rich's