Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen King - Recommendations
Quote:

Originally Posted by moviegeek1970 View Post

Since its a trilogy of books they could do several seasons (same detective and main characters, different villain.

Ah ok.

AWas that TV version of SALEM'S LOT with Rob Lowe any good? Bought it for 2 quid about 7 years ago but never got around to watching it.

It is very, very bad. Nice to see Sutherland and Hauer, though. Cromwell is good casting, too.

So, I have decided to re-read IT before I see the film. This novel still gets me.  I was reading before bed, and later in the night when I got up to use the restroom, I side stepped to the toilet, lest Tim Curry reach out and rip my dick off and then drag me to the sewers.   I am currently at the section where Ben has been carved on and met Bill and Eddie.  Consequence of Sound podcast has done a movie review that I really enjoyed.
AI really enjoyed IT when I was in high school. Tried to re-read it last year but found it to be a bloated bore of a book. I watched the movie this weekend, and it convinced me to finish the book once I finish my Good Omens re-read.

Not to derail, but rereading Good Omens is always a wise decision.

I did reread It last summer and I still thought it was great. I'm going to loan my copy to a friend of mine tomorrow.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
AHas anybody listened to the audiobook of IT? Apparently Steven Weber narrates it very well. But it's 44 hours and 52 minutes long.

I'm 18 hours into The Stand and I don't really get what all the fuss is about. It's a bland apocalyptic Left Behind flu epidemic, which makes for a terribly boring end-of-the-world scenario. With 30 hours to go I'm wondering if I should bother finishing. What am I missing?

(bluelouboyle: Almost 7 months late, but the Steven Weber audiobook of IT is great, though his Pennywise isn't great. I've listened to it 2+ times.)
I've been catching up on some Stephen King lately, myself...

MILE 81 - Solid short story. The ending left me a little cold, but you can't have everything.
IN THE TALL GRASS - Damn effective stuff and an ending I found tough to shake off.
GWENDY'S BUTTON BOX - Really liked it. Solid character work.
REVIVAL - Took a long time to get where it was going but filled the duration with solid character and world-building.
DOCTOR SLEEP - Loved it. Curious to see what makes it into the upcoming film and what doesn't.
I just finished Revival in a white heat. I was getting really excited about where it was going, and then it was a mild letdown.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
I liked that big action climax, though, the way the whole environment was described. Very weird/creepy visuals. Curious to see how the film adaptation tackles some of that.
I certainly didn’t dislike it, but that final image was just slightly less Lovecraft and slightly more Yor Hunter From the Future than I would have liked. 

However, the sequence just prior, the treatment with Astrid, scared the shit out of me. The door is covered with ivy, under a paper sky.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Just saw the Netflix film based on GERALD'S GAME (2017). Not bad. Some decent performances but not as involving or compelling as I would've liked. The drama's there but it all feels very sterile or distanced. Director Mike Flanagan is now working on DOCTOR SLEEP.
Finished up the short King novella ELEVATION (2018) last night. Short, sad and really sort of beautiful, you could do a lot worse. As someone preoccupied with his relative weight, this is the type of story and character I could walk into and play immediately.
Which should I read next: Talisman or Long Walk?
Long Walk is probably the better book overall, and you’ll finish it in less than a week, in all likelihood. Talisman is fun, sort of a dry run for what the Dark Tower series would become, but it’s definitely got real ‘for serious fans only’ vibes.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
Not sure about the "for serious fans only" thing, but The Talisman is actually pretty damn good. Read it shortly after Eyes of the Dragon which was also way better than I thought it would be. I will admit, I was not too hyped to read The Talisman, but since I am trying to read all his books in order*, I figured I had to check it off the list. One of the characters reminded me a bit of Tom Cullen from The Stand, at least in the way he talks, but other than that, I would say it is pretty solid and definitely worth checking out.

*I'm giving myself some leeway and taking it in chunks. Basically, anything in between each Dark Tower book I am reading in any order I choose, so I have a little freedom. Feel like I am never going to finish, however, because King keeps dropping books faster than I can read them (I am reading other stuff between each King book). Last one I read was Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three, which I liked quite a bit.
The last one I read was "Needful Things," and it may have been written in 1991, but man, it felt like it was written during the Trump era. A deeply-divided small town that's completely in the thrall of a demonic junk dealer who pits the townsfolk against each other and brings everyone's rottenness, pettiness and shittiness to the surface? I mean, I only had to suspend disbelief because a cop was the protagonist. Otherwise, holy shit.
I've seen the Needful Things movie and remember liking it quite a bit.  Looking forward to reading the book in the near future.

Oddly enough, there is an antique store/gift shop close to where I live and it is called...Needful Things.  Pretty sure it is an intentional reference.  I actually walked in to check it out once, and toyed with the idea of asking the person working there if they wanted me to slash someone's tires or tp a neighbors house in exchange for an original version of the board game Dungeon!, that I so prized as a child, but then realized I was in a boring antique shop, realized it would probably only be funny to me, and left.

This is a pic of the storefront:

Attached Files Image(s)

I love when King really dives deeply into the goings-on of small town Mainers. And "Needful Things" scratched that itch.
Yeah, Needful Things is a good one. And the movie, while nailing the casting, only gets about halfway to the nastiness and pitch black comedy of the book.
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
The Talisman won't scratch that itch, if Maine is the preferred setting, but it does have some pretty grim takes on the seedy underbelly of some small towns, when it isn't wrapped up in the fantasy aspect.  It's a lot darker than I was expecting considering the main character is a kid.

I think Roadwork could also be pretty relevant given the last few years.  Guy loses his job, decides he's had enough and fucks some shit up related to his job loss, or at least the factors that led to his lost job.  Has that small town feel, but just looking it up online it says it takes place in an unnamed town in the "Midwest".
The Long Walk is one of his best. You can probably breeze through it in an afternoon or two.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
While I never read NEEDFUL THINGS, I did enjoy the film a lot. I liked the expanded cut even more and really wish that cut had been bumped up to HD and made the Kino blu-release.
Yeah, I heard about a longer cut that aired on TNT. I'd love to see it. The story has so many moving parts.
Anybody planning to pick up LATER this week? Sounds good. And short.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain...utType=amp
"I don't do tag-teams with blood relatives". Kenny Powers.
That does sound interesting! Thanks for the heads up.