Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 100 Best Movies Ever - A Daily List from Nick

Glorious choice. Easily the best western ever made, I would argue. And that score! I haven't watched it for a year or two, but that score is always with me.

Love that final exchange between Cardinale and Robards also - articulates something fundamental about the exchange between true beauty and the working man:

"...You know what? If I was you, I'd go down there and give those boys a drink. Can't imagine how happy it makes a man to see a woman like you. Just to look at her. And if one of them should pat your behind, just make believe it's nothing. They earned it..."

Almost missed my deadline!

http://www.chud.com/154553/the-100-best-...otting-88/

AFantastic choice. The subtitled bit in the club is brilliant.

She went pure fucking radge mental - subtitled to "very" when Spud asks Tommy if his girlfriend got angry.

Trainspotting?  Ahead of Once Upon a Time in the West or Deliverance, let alone all the movies that probably won't make the list.

It's a good thing it's not "Overlord's 100 Best Movies Ever" then.

It's the best movie from one of the best directors. Of course it deserves to be on the list.

A

Trainspotting is definitely worthy. One of the most entertaining films I've ever seen.

Plus this....

And yeah, the baby...

http://www.chud.com/154565/the-100-best-...famous-87/

Haven't seen this since it came out. I guess I'm due.

Frances McDormand on the phone, going full Mamma Bear on rock stars, is a scene for the ages.

A
Quote:High, especially considering there are two great versions of the film out there

Nope. That bootleg edition sucks ass. The extra scenes add nothing and make the movie a chore.

Theatricalcut is aces.

I'm glad that Almost Famous made the list. Its a great love letter to rock n roll. My favorite scene is the big argument when they think their plane is going to crash.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.
AFairuza Balk. Such a good bad, bad girl.

http://www.chud.com/154577/the-100-best-...r-time-86/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Nunziata View Post

http://www.chud.com/154577/the-100-best-...r-time-86/

This right here.  Describe the movie to anyone and they'll dismiss it outright as sounding 'stupid'.  Watch the damned thing and they'll be floored at how amazingly charming and entertaining it is.

This is the first film on the list I haven't seen. Sounds like I need to rectify that immediately.

A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/151457/the-100-best-movies-ever-a-daily-list-from-nick/90#post_3771067"]Trainspotting?  Ahead of Once Upon a Time in the West or Deliverance, let alone all the movies that probably won't make the list.
[/quote]

Nick said the first 80 aren't in order of preference. So he's not necessarily saying TRAINSPOTTING is better than OUATITW.

And,TIME AFTER TIME is great fun. Shame Meyer hasn't made more movies.

I'm thinking after it's done I'll do a supplement with them all in proper order as well as a few that were on the cusp.

Quote:

I'm thinking after it's done I'll do a supplement with them all in proper order as well as a few that were on the cusp.

Don't fall victim to Overlord's pressure!  Resist the urge!  I, personally, love that they aren't in order.

Quick note: the present-day portion of Time After Time is set in San Francisco, not NYC. In fact, it's one of the better examples of location shooting here, with some great offbeat choices-- I particularly like the foot-chase through Embarcadero Center.

Time After Time is one of those movies that I saw as a wee laddie, then convinced myself I had largely fabricated as I grew up and actually tried to describe the plot in words and went "no way someone actually made that movie", then realized post-internet that it did exist largely as I remembered it, because the 80s were just a weird ass time, man.

Other films in this category include The Peanut Butter Solution and Chud watchalong classic Return To Oz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelouboyle View Post

Nick said the first 80 aren't in order of preference. So he's not necessarily saying TRAINSPOTTING is better than OUATITW.

And,TIME AFTER TIME is great fun. Shame Meyer hasn't made more movies.

Quote:

I must admit, I did not see that disclaimer.  I assumed this would function like EVERY OTHER LIST ARTICLE EVER WRITTEN.

But I digress.

Loving this column. As a fan of animation ooking forward to see what animated films make it (at least one Miyazaki/Ghibli feature, I hope)

You probably won't be disappointed.

Quote:

You probably won't be disappointed.

Nice! I hope Im surprised as well! (my personal favorite Ghibli film gets overshadowed a lot because its not technically a Ghibli film); Looking forward to see what genre films make the list as well.

Sad confession: I have yet to see any Miyazaki films. Maybe the biggest of my multiple cinematic blind spots.

Good choice on adding Time After Time to the list.

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

http://www.chud.com/154588/the-100-best-...ingers-85/

Quote:

http://www.chud.com/154588/the-100-best-...ingers-85/

I remember seeing this with my family when I was 13. We drove home in silence. It was awkward.

I saw that one in college with some of my fraternity brothers.  I think that we were in the mood for a horror movie of sorts.  Lots and lots of beers afterwards to sort out the incredibly fucked up movie that we had just seen.

And with a young Jill Hennesey and her twin sister.  Man alive

AIt wasnt even close to being one of my fave Cronenberg, but I guess it's time for a revisit
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKMITE8 View Post

It wasnt even close to being one of my fave Cronenberg, but I guess it's time for a revisit

My faves are probably THE FLY and EASTERN PROMISES, but DEAD RINGERS is the one film of his that will sit in your brain and fester for weeks on end.  It's damned potent.

Irons winning the Oscar in 1991 for REVERSAL OF FORTUNE.  I love how he specifically calls out David Cronenberg and gets applause (at about the 1:50 minute mark):

It's not my FAVORITE, but I think it's the best. And a great representation here.

AYeah, I really need to check it out again with more mature eyes.