Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition (or "Sorry we fucked up with 4th" Edition)

Those old modules are now being republished nicely in expensive sets.  They're an interesting contrast with what seems to be the post-3rd edition style of adventure writing, which seems to be more a series of defined encounters...as opposed to wandering the Halls of the Hill Giants or the Temple of Elemental Evil.  On a side note, I'm going to be running a party through Moria in a few months, and I am looking forward to seeing how they handle getting lost in there.

Anyhow, here's a couple of links to best D&D module lists, make for fun reading.

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/10/the-top-1...s-modules/

http://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47223/30-gre...s-all-time

And you can actually buy terrific 3-D maps of the old dungeons:

Anyhow, glad to hear 5th Ed sounds like a winner, especially since they've republished the old stuff so folks can take their pick of what to game.

I remember when I had time to play tabletop games.

*stares wistfully into the distance.  Orders several planets vaporized to assuage pain*

Our Roll20 sessions have been moving along nicely. We're going to all chip in and pay the extra bucks to get the premium version with all the bells and whistles soon. I'm currently running two characters in our adventure, a fighter and a cleric, and my fighter is a freakin' tank, with brand-new masterwork armor, with an AC of 22. Wednesday night's session led to us antagonizing a Goblin Druid and her minions, in a tunnel of briars where we were at a huge disadvantage to hit, and my fighter had to absorb pretty much all the damage (grumbling and whining all the while, naturally). But we have a great cooperative team, and came out on top, with our DM mildly disappointed. Good times, good times...

Alright so, anyone had a run or ran Hoard of the Dragon Queen? One of my friends has been wanting to DM since he started playing with us so I bought the book for him and he's been getting it ready, we played our first sitting last night with a packed party. Elf Ranger, Halfling Arcane Trickster, Dragonborn Druid, Tiefling Warlock, and a shiny new Genasi Sorceror. The Elf, Halfling and Dragonborn are my girlfriend and daughters characters so they were already just under level 5. The Tiefling and Genasi were coming in brand new so the knowing who was playing what beforehand my friend asked me to roll a Paladin and bump him to level 5 to act as the party leader and provide a few in party hooks. I went Oath of Vengeance and the min/maxer in me made me go glaive with Polearm Master and Sentinel needless to say I rolled really well and he was a ridiculous beast right off the bat so I gave him some trust issues based off of his background and oath so he wouldn't go wading in to rescue everyone when things got hard on them. After my buddy looked the sheet over he got the bright idea that I should run TWO characters and had my ex-soldier Paladin catch a shadow in the form of a Dwarven Cleric. Long story short the two of them could have probably handled most of the encounters themselves so I was dropping him the occasional head nod to amp it up a little and give me a harder time. It was still a hell of a good time and I think it's only gonna get better he added a few encounters and some party flavor by having my character be the only survivors of a military expedition that was ambushed by the Dragon Cultists and a few of their heavy types early on so I got to make a lot of threats and play the bloodthirsty vengeful fire and brimstone paladin.

It's a rag tag bunch and it's been a lot of fun seeing my girls getting completely into it. My oldest is the Dragonborn Druid and she's a bit more shy so her being a nature loving hermit plays really well to her personality and my youngest is the halfling arcane trickster and it just....it's a perfect fit. She's such a little shit and she's constantly using her cantrips to just fuck with people during the rp sections. We need to get a game going somehow, whether it's the 5e stuff or something homebrew I would honestly love to see what the fuck some of you assholes come up with.

Maybe Roll20? Any interest in that? I kind of wish we could get someone on the site to do some tabletop reviews too.

This is just on the side too but just about everyone in our group really loves the Acquisitions Incorporated stuff. Those games are a lot more loose with a just for fun attitude. Do you folks prefer that or a more serious setting? I kind of like it loose and goofy, I feel like I can get my grim dark and angst from PC games.

DMing a one-shot Numenera adventure for visiting friends in a few weeks. Plagiarizing shamelessly from Jeff Vandermeer's novel Annhilation. Been a while since I've run a game, so I might be rusty. Wish me luck!

So how it'd go?

It went very well. My Dutch friends loved it so much, one of them will be running a Numenera game over in Amsterdam for their nongeek friends in the next couple of weeks. She's never run a game before, so it's heartening to see a budding GM.

I'm going to try running The Strange for a change of pace in the next few months for locals. Same rules, but players cycle through different characters depending on what recursion (dimension) they travel through. So any one session could contain dragons, cyborgs, and Sherlock Holmes. This time I'll have the players create their own PCs (instead of using pregens) with the hopes they'll be more invested and perhaps be willing to upgrade from one-shot to a regular-ish game.

Nice, good strategy!

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/20.../83351984/

Quote:

One reason audiences are embracing the fifth edition is its reader and player friendliness. Past editions of the rulebook were plagued by small text and other documents, which players found condescending and confusing. With the fifth edition, Wizards of the Coast decided to return D&D to its story-based roots.

Quote:

The 40-year-old tabletop game isn't just attracting adults. At Cobb Middle School, once a week a group of students transforms a classroom into a D&D lair. For many of the club members, D&D was a new adventure.

“My first time playing D&D was last year when my older brother started this club,” said Evan Treadwell, a seventh-grader and DM. “It’s fun. We even have a family game going on at home.”

Throwing my experience in here. I started DnD two years ago with 5th edition and it's been great. We played through all of the Mines of Phandelver (i.e. the starter kit) and have eventually made our way through Hoard Of The Dragon Queen.

The combat is cool in that turn-based strategy kind of way (i.e. like the Fire Emblemgames) but it really shines when people use their imagination and try something crazy to overcome a situation.

Good times!

The 5E OGL Middle-Earth setting hits next week.  The company behind it, Cubicle 7, has done some really great stuff, including their own One Ring game, and word on this is really strong:

ARather than start a new thread I just thought I'd revive this one becaus I really feel the need to geek out somewhere after what happened tonight.

I first started playing D&D at my local game shop when 5th edition was released. At this shop I met several other people who, like me, became regulars and soon also friends. After the shop stopped hosting D&D because of a lack of DMs, I and my friends started meeting once a week at each other's places for dungeons and dragons, this time playing 3.5 edition because the friend who volunteered to become the new DM was much more familiar with that version.

Cut to two years later, we're 20th level and our campaign has entered the final battle to end all final battles. We're trying to stop an army of demons from getting ahold of a magical macguffin and using it to open a portal that will let in the Lovcraftian kind of elder gods that will destroy the world. Our group ended tonight just finishing an absolute bitch of a battle where we had to take down one of the four demon princes that is helping the main villain. This demon prince was called the Demigorgon. It was a really hard fight because it can take two standard actions and two move actions each turn, effectively giving it two turns worth of actions to each of our turns. We managed to kill it, but not before it dealt a whopping 16 constitution damage to my character.

I only realized after the fact when we were packing up that we just fought and killed the D&D monster from Stranger Things.
AA month ago my group finished our two year long campaign with maxed out level 20 characters and we were sucsessful in defeating the big villlian.

Last week we started a new campaign with brand new level 1 characters. Rather than an adventuring party out to find their fortune and save the world, this time we decided to play new recruits in a police force out to protect and serve the extremely diverse populace of a very large fantasy city. Most of last week's session was taken up with us helping the DM brainstorm certain aspects of the city and also us introducing our level 1 characters to each other first day at the police academy.

So this week turned to be the first actual week of gameplay and tonight was a very strange night playing D&D. I own six sets of dice, each set contains the standard d20, d12, d10, d10*, d8, d6, and a d4. I needed six sets because my last level 20 character could make a maximum of six attacks on his turn and it was easier to roll six different dice than rolling the same one six times.

I tend to assign one particular dice set to each character i play and then use that set to make all out of combat rolls I need to make. Usually I assign sets to a new character by trying out each set until I roll my first 20 (most non-combat rolls are with a d20 and rolling a 20 is almost always considered to be an automatic success reguardless of how difficult the task is). So I decided that the first dice set I was going to use is a set that I've tried to use with several characters in the past, but has never rolled well for me. A blue and white set of dice I've owned for years that I have nicknamed "the wanderers" because their edges are so rounded that they tend to roll forever, making several random direction changes before slowly coming to a stop.

My very first roll of the night was a 20, so was my second roll and my third (rolling three 20s in a row is a 1 in 8000 chance). By the end of the night I'd say the dice had landed on 20 roughly 40 to 50 percent of the time. It never happened in combat, I was just succeeding on every skill check I made with flying colors. I have used these dice many times in the past and this has never happened before, so besides confirming that this set of dice had finally found a character of mine that they "liked", I now feel apprehensive about using them in the future. My paranoia is being fueled by the superstition that the law of averages means that sometime when I least expect it I will have a night when 40 to 50 percent of my rolls will be 1s, which can be deadly to a low level D&D character.

*(two d10s are used as a way to roll percentages when the rules require it, one d10 represents the 1s and one d10 represents the 10s, so rolling a 4 and a 60 means you rolled 64%)
ADice have no memory.

Unlike me.
AThe dice gods are a fickle lot. They give with one hand and take with the other. Pay them proper homage and ill fortune will not befall thee.

I have to say, I love your setting idea though.
A[quote name="Overlord" url="/community/t/151525/dungeons-dragons-5th-edition-or-sorry-we-fucked-up-with-4th-edition#post_4379204"]Dice have no memory.

Unlike me.[/quote]

Yep, I know. I tend to ignore any superstition my brain seems inclined to push me toward, but the pull is alurring. I end up indulging harmless ones, but stop myself if I feel like I'm going out of my way to do it. Assigning a relatively unused set of dice to a new character helps me feel like I'm playing a different character and it's relatively harmless, so I'm going to keep using the dice for this character refuarless of what my brain is telling me about the law of averages.

[quote name="Codename" url="/community/t/151525/dungeons-dragons-5th-edition-or-sorry-we-fucked-up-with-4th-edition/50#post_4379207"]The dice gods are a fickle lot. They give with one hand and take with the other. Pay them proper homage and ill fortune will not befall thee.

I have to say, I love your setting idea though.[/quote]

The setting was one I had talked about in the past when I realized that the DM was also a fan of Terry Prachett's City Watch series of books. Both of us loved the idea and got the rest of the group interested in playing as police officers in a large magical city. It opens up so many scenarios to explore that aren't normally touched upon in a typical D&D campaign. There's law and order style procedurals, mysteries, stakeouts and stings, courtroom drama, gang wars, not to mention possible corruption within the Police force and trying to stop tavern brawls, control riots and deal with natural disasters.

I'm playing a warforged that was in the department's evidence locker. My character killed the artificer that built him since the artificer never sent payment to the mob boss that supplied the warforged blueprints. So in this fantasy world my character was technically classified as a golem and therefore as the murder weapon. Later my character learned that the artificer that built him did send the payment to the mob boss, but it was intercepted by an unknown third party, but because my character was stuck inevidence he could not do anything to try to find who this third party was.

About a year later a false tip about a coming gang war ended up being a the bait for a death trap and a lot of the city guard got killed. So the department that had me in evidence had a sudden urgent need for recruits and my character was able to convince them to train me because he has amassed a large knowledge of the city's laws since he had nothing to do for the past year except read the books inside the Police department, which were mostly law books. (This makes me the person in the party that is familiar with the city's police procedures and allows the DM to dump exposition through my character if any of the other players have questions about the city's laws when there are no NPCs around).

Your setting sounds like a job.

AI can see why you would feel this way. From what I've gathered from your other posts on these forums, you're a lawyer or you work in the legal system. So a game about playing characters that try to uphold the laws doesn't appeal to you, it's too much like your job to qualify as escapism.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim K View Post

I can see why you would feel this way. From what I've gathered from your other posts on these forums, you're a lawyer or you work in the legal system. So a game about playing characters that try to uphold the laws doesn't appeal to you, it's too much like your job to qualify as escapism.

You lost me at "we're at the academy."

I am an attorney by day and I am the Senate by night.

AAnyone use Fantasy Grounds for hosting games? I play on Monday nights with my brother, a friend in Boulder and my nephew in Wilmington using Google Hangouts.

Also, anyone heard about the new subclasses In Xanathars Guide to Everything? The Scout Ranger sounds fun. Like the Tommy Lee Jones character in the Hunted.
Just popping in to say I was a die-hard First Edition AD&D grognard and 5E's made a convert out of me. While I'm still adjusting to the increased power of....everything, I'm really impressed at how adaptable and easy to learn the game is. I've been playing 5E for about a year now and am still very much enjoying it.

As a DM, I think the most difficult switch has been a philosophic one: 1E, at best, didn't give a shit about character survival and was likely even slanted against it. 5E's core mechanics are biased in favor of character survival. I understand why but it's still been hard.

I've run into a few speed bumps with my group - players who seem to approach the game with the idea that characters ought to be able to basically do anything they want and argue for tweaking rules ever more in favor of character success - but for the most part, it's been a blast.

My ideal 5E game to run as a DM would probably not allow feats or multiclassing (they ARE listed as optional rules in the book) and limiting the races allowable for characters - maybe even introducing 1E-style racial class rules (no goddamned dwarven wizards). But finding a group of players who'd find that fun might be challenging.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
1st level characters can be terribly vulnerable in 5e, though; early on I overestimated the friendliness of the game and was surprised. But I've mostly been playing AiME where life is short.

We just start characters out at 2nd level when starting over, but we're also all experienced players and the need for an introductory 1st level adventure isn't there.

I do remember my first or second session of 5E - party of five 2nd or 3rd level characters and we encountered a hill giant. Based on my 1E experience, I figured we were all dead but was pleasantly surprised that we took it down with no permanent casualties.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

I've been trying to kill my character for over a month in 5E and he just won't die. It is really hard to die without flagrantly jumping off a cliff or challenging an entire town to a fight.
Won't your DM just let you roll up a new character?