Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DC Cinematic Universe Discussion
(05-27-2020, 10:12 PM)serpico jones Wrote: Henry Cavill is in talks to return as Superman in multiple DC films according to Deadline.

ONLY if it's done right and Zackie Poo has NOTHING to do with it. Cavill deserves a clean slate chance at the boy in blue.
(05-26-2020, 09:10 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: I'm just saying! They've got an out!

I'm also fairly certain Steve (ghost? resurrected?) doesn't survive the movie. Diana will help his soul be at peace or some such.
Yup. It will be a situation where she will have to defeat the villain but lose him in the process and she will have to choose. He will of course tell her it's ok and she made the right choice before going back to hell. That's right Steve is in hell because he had sex before marriage.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Wonderful sex, though.
"We only did butt stuff! My priest said butt stuff doesn't count!"
Gamertag: Tweakee
Yeah, unfortunately, the Deadline article specifies that there is no Man of Steel 2 in talks (right now). Which is so weird. You bring Cavill back just for cameos?

It has to be, along with the Snyder Cut, a way to test the water for more Superman movies. And, again, I'm guessing Abrams plays some part in production, even if it's just producing.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I think if it's cameos then they're definitely planning on a Man of Steel 2. It could also be that he's going to play a significant mentor role in Shazam 2.
I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!
The Deadline article mentions possibilities being Black Adam, Shazam! 2 and Aquaman 2.

And, sure, you throw Superman into a Shazam! movie so that he gets his ass kicked by magic (one of Supes's few vulnerabilities), and Shazam has to save him.

But later, you give Cavill more to do!

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."

Superman playing off Shazam could be great. It'd be a bit like the Superman/Flash dynamic in the JL post-credits sequence and that was pretty fun.
I like your mentor idea a lot (cross-platform posting!).

I just think the DCEU has pivoted enough toward director-driven, standalone movies that it doesn't need Cavill's Superman popping up to remind everyone this is a shared universe. Give him his own movie!

For whatever problems people have with Birds of Prey, it's not the lack of Batman that hurts it. The Joker could've at least made an appearance, but not Batman.

I'd definitely take Man of Steel 2 over that. Crossover films though really depend on execution. They can feel like corporate obligations or a fun way to have different characters bouncing off one another and adding to each other's stories. Thor and Hulk, for example, seem like an unlikely pair but Ragnarok really made it work, so if they find a way to integrate Supes into a different film in a way that makes him feel vital I'm all for it.
My preference is to have both Man of Steel 2 done by the right optimistic person who gets the character, AND the Shazam Supes crossover. Considering the history and the character dynamic between them it would be great.
People always bring up Matthew Vaughn, but I actually think that moment has passed. There's a cynicism to him that's been very evident this last decade.

It's his alignment with Mark Millar. Kick-Ass and Kingsman are fun movies, but they're deeply puerile and, in the case of Kingsman, nihilistic.

Not right for Superman.

Spring McTiernan from Director Jail for a Supes movie?
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
for some reason I think Bong Joon-Ho could make a killer Superman movie.
I hope they release some movie DLC and fix that awful Superman “cameo” at the end of Shazam.

Aren’t there constant rumours about Supergirl? Maybe it’s a wacky comedy where he mentors her how to not be a hero. She goes to neck snap mugger, Supes gives her a “yikes tone it down bro!” face, audience laughs!
Back at the start of the month Heroic Hollywood reported Supergirl was put on hold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBmSTF1Jg2Q&app=desktop

It seems like there's been some sort of shift at WB, as last November they were considering a whole new direction for Superman, possibly with Michael B. Jordan: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dc-co...203415757/

But then I guess that didn't pan out. Compound that with the Snyder Cut deal being finalized and I guess they're still trying to make some of those old plans work.

They have a perfect Superman. This isn't like Amazing Spider-Man where there was simply no way to rescue the character.
(05-28-2020, 03:38 AM)farsight Wrote: "We only did butt stuff! My priest said butt stuff doesn't count!"

That priest was referring to something other than an adult man and an adult woman.

Yes! I was layering in multiple tiers of awfulness to my joke!

If you didn't groan at least three times, I'm not satisfied!
Gamertag: Tweakee
(05-28-2020, 09:52 AM)bartleby_scriven Wrote: People always bring up Matthew Vaughn, but I actually think that moment has passed. There's a cynicism to him that's been very evident this last decade.

It's his alignment with Mark Millar. Kick-Ass and Kingsman are fun movies, but they're deeply puerile and, in the case of Kingsman, nihilistic.

Not right for Superman.

I've said this before but Spielberg.  It's a shame he doesn't seem to care about super heroes at all, he's perfect for the character.  Jewish origins, heavy on gleeful optimism and even a childhood sense of wonder and awe.  Warm nostalgia and good feelings.  He'd be great at one of these things.

Ooooh, a Spielberg Superman could be something special.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
If it was Spielberg from the 80s, yeah.

Early 21st century Spielberg seems to have pretty much lost his taste for the fantastic.
"Nooj's true feelings on any given subject are unknown and unknowable. He is the butterfly flapping its wings in Peking. He is chaos and destruction and you shall never see his true form." - Merriweather

My Steam ID: yizashigreyspear
I’ve never seen “the BFG“ but “Ready Player One” was fine. If he could just channel the first Jurassic Park I think he’d be fine.

I’d still rather seem him do a Bond movie though.
"Every romantic comedy should just be called "Tryin' to Fuck" - Patton Oswalt
Do we really want to see Kaminski desaturate the hell out Supes’ red and blues?
Yeah, fuck it. Let’s see that. Within the Snyder continuity. Let’s see what you got, old man!
Brigadier Cousins on PSN
We already solved the director question a few weeks ago.

(05-08-2020, 05:00 PM)Pither Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 12:39 AM)bradito Wrote: Greta Gerwig?

I can't think what Saoirse Ronan's role would be off the top of my head, but sure, why not?
(05-29-2020, 06:10 PM)episode29 Wrote: Do we really want to see Kaminski desaturate the hell out Supes’ red and blues?

I read that as Krasinski and thought to myself that A Quiet Place was a good enough flick with some interesting conceits and constraints behind it, but that in no way suggests he could do a Superman flick.

But now I'm wondering. I bet, if anything, he'd get the character right.
If I could change to liquid, I'd fill the cracks and bend the rocks.
Bring back Tim Burton!
Legends of Tomorrow was the last of the DC shows on the CW that I was still watching. But alas, I have given up on that one as well. I had about 7 episodes on my List that I needed to watch and I could barely make it through one. Even the lovely Zari couldn't keep me from checking out.

I do however, have the SyFy Harley Quinn show ready to watch, so I'm def. looking forward to that.
Apparently Sean O'Connell of CinemaBlend is writing a book about the Snyder Cut. He interviewed Snyder today: https://twitter.com/Sean_OConnell/status...28480?s=20