Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Black Holler"
Rebecca Buzzard is the best movie reviewer since Jimmy Dickbutter!
An update on The Project That Never Ends:

Still waiting on word from 3-4 festivals (should know in January), but I think they're trying to get this thing up on Amazon Prime so we can all move on with our lives. So, I may be spending spring adding subtitles for Amazon's closed captioning services. How fun!

We also did a reading for a sequel I wrote. I've attached it. (Bucho, this is updated from the one I sent you long ago.) Since Brad and Buch might be the only two non-cast members who might get it, feel free to check it out and enjoy.

As for the reading, it was quite awkward. Apparently 3 of the actresses stopped being friends in the intervening months. I did not know that! Also, others didn't seem enthused and one of the actresses was embarrassingly drunk. It was quite a mess. Needless to say, we filmed it.

.pdf   BlackHoller2.pdf (Size: 295.74 KB / Downloads: 2)
Drama! Sounds like we need the making of/retrospective on this movie real bad.
Let's watch the reading!!
That's going to be part of the Black Holler 10th anniversary commemorative set, which is coming out... good God, next week I think? What year is it?!

We shot with two cameras, so I would need to edit it. I have all of the footage but BOY I don't want to watch it. However, you would get to see me be completely ineffectual as I fail at holding everything together!
(12-12-2018, 02:06 PM)Mangy Wrote: However, you would get to see me be completely ineffectual as I fail at holding everything together!

Sold, where's the link to your Patreon!?!
This is my most anticipated film of 2019.
(12-12-2018, 02:15 PM)Bucho Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 02:06 PM)Mangy Wrote: However, you would get to see me be completely ineffectual as I fail at holding everything together!

Sold, where's the link to your Patreon!?!

(12-12-2018, 02:28 PM)bradito Wrote: This is my most anticipated film of 2019.

I have just enough free time to actually do this. You've been warned!
Bring it!
Looks like we were accepted into a horror fest in Chattanooga, TN in February. I think the current goal is to show the movie throughout the South for free until people beg us to stop.
I just got word they're showing the trailer at the Mondo Cult Film Showcase in LA on 2/23 - https://www.facebook.com/MondoCultFilmShowcase/ Any of y'all been to this thing?

They liked the movie and hope to show it later, but I think this showcase is shorts-only? Still, pretty cool.
Looks like we earned Silver in the "Spotlight Horror Awards" - http://www.spotlighthorrorawards.com/2018awards.html

I'd love to make a new trailer featuring all of the nonsensical honors this movie has received.
"I probably saw this."
-Bradito
I'm currently slowly assembling the subtitles in order to submit to Amazon ... this is surprisingly hard to do with a micro-budget movie with not-great sound!

However, I'm sneaking some more jokes in here, just to see if anybody notices. And, of course, trying to bring the Black Holler experience to foreign and hearing-impaired viewers with witty bon mots like the one below.

Attached Files Image(s)

I loaned my DVD copy to thread legend smugbug, but she tells me that she hasn't watched it yet.

Should I unfriend? y/n
haha, come on, Brad...

Of course you should.
I should get the DVD back first, tho...
Just buy more!

Oh, we did this horror con a few weeks ago - https://twitter.com/connooga

It was a pretty fun day trip, although one thing I'm learning: If you're going to screen something you did, bring your own AV equipment. That aspect was grim. However, people liked the movie anyway and bought some DVDs and we signed some autographs, which will always be weird. I was sent a script by somebody who wanted me to appear in their film; that was pretty cool (the offer, not the script)
It's about time someone recognized that you are blessed with monumental thespian talent. Was it another horror script?
It was . . . I'd play an editor at a newspaper? It's called "Deadlines." I haven't finished the script yet, but I'm guessing that title is wordplay!

I actually know the writer/director... he's lived in central TN and made cheap-o horror stuff for years. I made this short film back in '98 (GAHHHH!) that got into a festival, and his first movie was showing there - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326740/ According to the director, Harry Knowles was there and panned it, but I can't find it now.

EDIT: Here's the aintitcool article that mentions it - http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/3236 (it was on aintitcool, but not written by Harry. I guess that sounds better)

EDIT: I just found the trailer! 

He filmed the whole thing in an echo-y abandoned prison. Cool atmosphere, but you literally couldn't hear any of the dialogue. Which is bad! From the 'Goofs' section:

Attached Files Image(s)

Changing actors with no explanation is so hot right now.

I can one million percent imagine you as an editor.
(03-04-2019, 09:12 PM)Bucho Wrote: Changing actors with no explanation is so hot right now.

It certainly improves a screening! Even when I thought the audience hasn't liked the movie, they've responded positively to the Brett stuff. Easily the favorite joke.
Quote:I can one million percent imagine you as an editor.
I'm thinking "J. Jonah Jameson, except it's me acting dumb."
Looks like the movie will be screening at this film festival in Charleston, SC next month - https://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.org/schedule

We'll be screened directly before the P.J. Soles tribute and Q&A. If she saw and liked this movie, I would be pleased.
Well well well . . . Looks like the movie has been nominated for MAJOR AWARDS at the Crimson Screen Film Festival:

[Image: D5fYd0RWsAAC8mL.jpg]

[Image: D5axIgXW4AMkdYF.jpg]

[Image: D5koNDYW4AMJ00c.jpg]

[Image: D5koNDYWAAERyVG.jpg]

It's an honor just to be nominated.
Thank us during your acceptance speech or get to fuck!
"I couldn't have done this without the two guys who actually bought DVDs..."
We also got noms for Best Director and Best Picture:

[Image: D5ueboUWsAAUNJE.jpg]

[Image: D5pVYaFXkAE9jpS.jpg:large]

Six, count 'em, SIX... er, Crimmy Nominations! Picture/Director/Actor/Actress/Screenplay/FX.

Deep down, I know this is a damning indictment of the other films selected, but still, this is incredibly cool!

I'm also doing my part as the newspaper editor in that other movie today . . . I'm pretty sure y'all will never see that one.
I just hope there's room on the covers for the next run of dvds for all those nominations to be listed and wreaths to be displayed.
We're saving those sweet sweet Crimmy graphics for the Criterion box set.

I filmed that other movie yesterday; I think the experience was best summed up by the cinematographer, who said "I never read the script, so I can keep my options open." Personally, I think having some sort of visual scheme is good, but these guys have completed 4-5 unseen feature films, so who am I to judge?
Sounds more like a "cinematographer" than a cinematographer.
I mean, why be creatively limited by the blueprint for the film?