Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Bill Cosby: Comedian/rapist
#1

Say it aint so...


Quote:

 Bill Cosby won't be promoting his new comedy tour on Queen Latifah's talk show ... because the Queen and her crew got cold feet after rape allegations resurfaced.

Comedian Hannibal Buress called Cosby out last week during a stand up set ... wondering out loud if people remembered Bill had been accused of rape by 13 women over the years. The old news got re-circulated, even though there were not fresh allegations.

Cosby has never been criminally charged with sexual assault ... but he has been sued.

More here: http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/30/queen-lati...view-rape/


Sad if true.<img src=" src="http://files.chud.com/images/smilies/frown.gif" />

Reply
#2
AFuuuuuck. You have to look at these things with the understanding that crazy people are going to try to take advantage of very wealthy people, but at a certain number it just becomes impossible to see it any other way. Not to play down the horror or credibility of any single story, but numbers make it that much more truth.
Reply
#3

Yeah these allegations have been around for a long time. I don't know what he did or didn't do but if he did that's another story of a clean comic who would be disgusted at a rape joke but had no problem with actually doing it.



Also I can tell you right now there are a bunch of comics that hate Hannibal Buress for that article. Cosby is such a king to so many of them.

Reply
#4
AComing from a broken home, Heathcliff Huxtable was my surrogate Dad (hey, 30 mins a week was often more time than I got from my actual father) and his standup was on constant rotation. My instinct is to bury my head in the sand and hope the allegations are BS.
Reply
#5

No fresh allegations.


Never been charged, only sued.


Innocent until proven guilty.



If shit actually comes to light, then I'll form a negative opinion of the man and proceed accordingly.  Until then, I'll have to assume that there's no actual story here.

Reply
#6

The newer coverage of this has been pretty awful. The allegations are there, the numbers are fairly damning, but the fact remains that he has never been charged and never been convicted. Yet I've seen several articles headed by stuff like "The shocking story of how Bill Cosby raped this woman".



Case in point. Old allegations, delivered sensationally, in an article that from the outset assumes Cosby's guilt and doesn't even bother to confirm the fact that he's never even been charged. It presumes guilt right from the first paragraph.



If he's as stonewall guilty as so many people are making out, *charge him*. Go on the record and get him sent down. Playing this kind of thing out in the press does nothing but prove once again what a hollow mockery modern journalism has become.

Reply
#7
AHell, even this thread title doesnt contain the word "alleged".
Reply
#8

Funny how a comedian I've never heard of has basically made his name running a comedy legend's name through the mud.

Reply
#9

Or maybe, just maybe, Cosby ruined his own reputation? Hannibal didn't make any accusations against Cosby. Thirteen, count 'em, thirteen different women did. Hannibal is simply commenting his opinion on the matter through his stand-up, which he is fully entitled to do.



And Hannibal's name was known before this whole thing happened. He's had two comedy specials on Comedy Central, was on this year's Oddball Comedy Festival bill with Louis C.K., Sarah Silverman and Aziz Ansari, performed on Letterman and Conan, wrote for 30 Rock, had a supporting role in Neighbors with Seth Rogen, co-hosts a show on Adult Swim, etc. In 2014, he's actually much more relevant as a comedian than Cosby is, who has been been more or less coasting on nostalgia from The Cosby Show for twenty years. Half the reason this story took off is because it was Hannibal Buress who said it, and not some guy named Lenny at the Chuckle Hut's open mic night.

Reply
#10

Louis called Hannibal his favorite stand up of the moment.  He doesn't need any help.

Reply
#11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkblades View Post
 

Or maybe, just maybe, Cosby ruined his own reputation? Hannibal didn't make any accusations against Cosby. Thirteen, count 'em, thirteen different women did. Hannibal is simply commenting his opinion on the matter through his stand-up, which he is fully entitled to do.



And Hannibal's name was known before this whole thing happened. He's had two comedy specials on Comedy Central, was on this year's Oddball Comedy Festival bill with Louis C.K., Sarah Silverman and Aziz Ansari, performed on Letterman and Conan, wrote for 30 Rock, had a supporting role in Neighbors with Seth Rogen, co-hosts a show on Adult Swim, etc. In 2014, he's actually much more relevant as a comedian than Cosby is, who has been been more or less coasting on nostalgia from The Cosby Show for twenty years. Half the reason this story took off is because it was Hannibal Buress who said it, and not some guy named Lenny at the Chuckle Hut's open mic night.


LOL Hannibal is not and probably never will be relevant or 'much more relevant as a comedian than Cosby is'. I don't care if Cosby doesn't do anything for the rest of his life. Cosby is freaking legend and that little bit of stuff that you mentioned on Hannibal's resume doesn't even approach Cosby.

Reply
#12

The point is, Buress isn't some nobody trying to make a name for himself.

Reply
#13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
 

LOL Hannibal is not and probably never will be relevant or 'much more relevant as a comedian than Cosby is'. I don't care if Cosby doesn't do anything for the rest of his life. Cosby is freaking legend and that little bit of stuff that you mentioned on Hannibal's resume doesn't even approach Cosby.


I don't want to derail this thread too much on who is the more relevant comedian when there are more pressing matters to be discussed (and comparing them is kind of like comparing apples and pudding, anyway), but Hannibal's specials were hilarious, while I didn't make it more than a few minutes through Cosby's new special. But then again, I've never really been a fan of Cosby. *shrugs* To each their own.

Reply
#14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkblades View Post
 

I don't want to derail this thread too much on who is the more relevant comedian when there are more pressing matters to be discussed (and comparing them is kind of like comparing apples and pudding, anyway), but Hannibal's specials were hilarious, while I didn't make it more than a few minutes through Cosby's new special. But then again, I've never really been a fan of Cosby. *shrugs* To each their own.


There is no comparison. Cosby is a legend, Hannibal is not.

Reply
#15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkblades View Post

To each their own.
Reply
#16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
 

There is no comparison. Cosby is a legend, Hannibal is not.


Who gives a fuck?

Reply
#17

When it comes to 13 people being raped?  Nobody should.

Reply
#18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Shaver View Post
 

Who gives a fuck?


Well fuck face you do apparently.

Reply
#19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
 

Well fuck face you do apparently.


Sorry I touched a nerve, rape apologist.

Reply
#20

http://www.avclub.com/article/bill-cosby...ent-211674

Reply
#21
A[quote name="bootsy" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist#post_3800957"]Well fuck face you do apparently.
[/quote]

You want to see a magic trick?
Reply
#22
ABootsy just made me realize that there's probably people that like Cosby more now.

By the way, this has absolutely completely changed my opinion of Cosby and I think it will probably be the first thing I think about him going forward. Mostly I'm amazed I'd never heard about it before. I bet he retires from public life.
Reply
#23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

Mostly I'm amazed I'd never heard about it before. I bet he retires from public life.


This is what surprises me the most (not about you but about the attention this is getting). It has really blown up in the past few days but these allegations have been around for years. I guess people have finally decided to pay attention to them?

Reply
#24
AI'd never been a huge Cosby fan, but his persona has been all over the place in pop culture for my entire life. I guess if he did anything high profile anymore this might have been mentioned before. But all I ever heard about Cosby was how great he was and how much other comics respected him.
Reply
#25
AI've previously heard these allegations in passing, but I was under the impression that it was only one woman*. If he just outright said this was bullshit, then I'd probably be at least a little ambivalent about it, but comments like "misunderstanding" and so on, are really damning. Some ugly shit definitely went down.



*To clarify, so I don't get shat on, this was something I heard years ago and can barely remember, so I'm not saying it would be "okay" if it was just one woman. Cosby's poor response in this resurgence is the closest thing to confirmation that we're likely to get.
Reply
#26
AThe allegations have come from women. They weren't listened to.

Not till a more prominent man brought it up.
Reply
#27
A[quote name="mcnooj82" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist#post_3805063"]The allegations have come from women. They weren't listened to.

Not till a more prominent man brought it up.[/quote]

A radio show guest made the interesting observation that since media is skewing more millenial, this is now getting pursued by a generation with relative distance from Cosby's legacy, and thus not blinded by it. There's something to that I think, a good something.
Reply
#28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjen Rudd View Post

Bootsy just made me realize that there's probably people that like Cosby more now.

By the way, this has absolutely completely changed my opinion of Cosby and I think it will probably be the first thing I think about him going forward. Mostly I'm amazed I'd never heard about it before. I bet he retires from public life.


It makes me even more suspicious of people who loudly proclaim "Hey I'm all about FAMILY VALUES!" and "THE MORALS OF THIS COUNTRY ARE DEBASED!". Cosby's been on the pundit circuit for a while now preaching about how Black men need to stick by their women and families are the most important thing etc.



It's certainly not a bad message but to me, it's tainted by these allegations. Like he was either outright bullshitting the whole time and snickering at the public behind his hand, or it was all a campaign to cover up his actions. Or maybe it's a guilt trip.

Reply
#29

The mentality of people like this doesn't strike me as snickering behind peoples backs.  It's not an evil mastermind bullshitting people for funsies.  If I had to guess it's that politicians who are very anti Gay, or Cosby who is all family values...  They're so loud in the one direction that the other direction is the ultimate sin, and thus is the most attractive thing they could do.  For Cosby doing the opposite of his family values image must somehow be more exciting to him than if his image was that of a pervert or a womanizer.

Reply
#30
AYou know, he can say all of that and believe it *and* rape a dozen women. Most people are two people and we all balance inconsistencies, sometimes I imagine, without a tremendous deal of internal conflict until said inconsistencies become apparent to others. This is more a matter of extremity.

I can't claim to know Cosby's mind, but I almost want to say that in these instances, he probably felt it was "safer" and "made more sense" for him to take the power of consent away because it was a power they could hold over him and use it to threaten the image he built for himself. That's seriously twisted fucking logic if even remotely accurate, but I'm just speculating based on one of the victims stating that Cosby went on and on about "trust" before drugging her.

Look at this way, we love Richard Pryor, and we know what kind of guy he was, but the difference (insofar as there is one) is that he actually "told us" what kind of guy he was. Our relationship with these people is so fucking weird.
Reply
#31

Model who once had a threesome with Grace Jones and Dolph Lundgren also accuses Cosby of rape:



http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...-1.2015463

Reply
#32
A"...and that's when I noticed that the pudding had a funny taste..."
Reply
#33
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Look at this way, we love Richard Pryor, and we know what kind of guy he was, but the difference (insofar as there is one) is that he actually "told us" what kind of guy he was. Our relationship with these people is so fucking weird.

Reply
#34
Ahttp://gawker.com/don-lemon-gives-cosby-rape-accuser-tip-for-not-getting-1660499698

http://www.avclub.com/article/nbc-and-ne...do--212071
Reply
#35
Quote:


I really hope he gets fired for that.



Cosby was always one of those unimpeachable heroes. This whole thing is SO disturbing.

Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)