Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Cosby: Comedian/rapist
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Cosby was always one of those unimpeachable heroes. This whole thing is SO disturbing.

It makes me think you really can't know a person, or at least, what makes them tick. Like that recent story involving Stephen Collins and child molestation.

It's also interesting comparing the Cosby case to the Jian Ghomeshi case. With Ghomeshi, at first he made himself out to be the victim, saying he was wrongfully fired over his taste in the bedroom. But once those women came forward, pretty much everyone accepted the idea he assaulted women as fact, especially as the number of victims quickly rose. With Cosby, things seem to be moving much more slowly, obviously because he is a much more beloved figure. Or because so many of us don't want to believe it?

Ahttp://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/11/the-cosby-show/382891/

Cosby will eventually have to speak out about these allegations. I just have no idea what way he (aka "his people") are going to approach this. So far staying silence is not really helping matters.

What could they possibly ever say?  It's looking horrendous for him right now.  Saying pretty much anything is going to hurt him.

A[quote name="Freeman" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist/30#post_3805530"]What could they possibly ever say?  It's looking horrendous for him right now.  Saying pretty much anything is going to hurt him. 
[/quote]

No amount of zibble zabble is going to get him out of this one.
A[quote name="Disciple_72" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist#post_3805484"]
I really hope he gets fired for that.

Cosby was always one of those unimpeachable heroes. This whole thing is SO disturbing.
[/quote]

No one is unimpeachable, he's just a guy like anyone else and as subject to the same failings.

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2014/11...tions.html

A[quote name="Moltisanti" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist#post_3805162"]Model who once had a threesome with Grace Jones and Dolph Lundgren also accuses Cosby of rape:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...-1.2015463
[/quote]

She's made some statements about Stallone in the past as well. You're little comment is a bit much though, despite the fact that I think Dickinson is a ridiculous human being.

Well, Leonard Part 6 is no longer the worst thing Bill Cosby has his name attached to.

AThis has made me think back to my feelings on the R. Kelly situation, specifically because I *know* he did exactly what he was accused of doing, yet he fucking walked. I wasn't up for calling Woody Allen a pedophile, or Bryan Singer, because a number of things seemed out of order in those cases, but this thing with Cosby is incredible. Not in the sense that I'm struggling to imagine him doing these things, but in that it's allegedly been going on for decades and his influence is presumably so vast, and his pockets so deep, that he has managed to keep it below the surface all this time.

There's a part of me that wants to say, hey, no conviction, no evidence, why is his word just utter shit now? Then I think about R. Kelly, and know exactly what I know. There is evidence on tape. The crime is literally on tape, yet he walked away a free man. His situation is different in that the rape is statutory and the victim presumably gave her consent, even though by letter of the law, she couldn't do that and he cannot legally accept it. Be that as it may, R. Kelly is not Joe Ordinary, and so, because of our corrupt and easily manipulated legal system, he doesn't get Joe Ordinary's punishment.

Media witch-hunts still happen, I still think there is a terrible downside to our instant response culture, but at this moment in time I cannot find it in myself to argue any point that would benefit Cosby at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3cii View Post

It makes me think you really can't know a person, or at least, what makes them tick. Like that recent story involving Stephen Collins and child molestation.

It's also interesting comparing the Cosby case to the Jian Ghomeshi case. With Ghomeshi, at first he made himself out to be the victim, saying he was wrongfully fired over his taste in the bedroom. But once those women came forward, pretty much everyone accepted the idea he assaulted women as fact, especially as the number of victims quickly rose. With Cosby, things seem to be moving much more slowly, obviously because he is a much more beloved figure. Or because so many of us don't want to believe it?

Wait, what? Since someone mentioned Jian Ghomeshi's name here I've been digging through youtube to watch his great interviews. And now this, never would've thought. Kinda like with Cosby. But R. Kelly? Raise your hand if you were surprised to hear he was a pervert. Anyone? <crickets>

edited to add an... uncomfortable quote from thestar.com

Quote:
Two of the women who allege they were physically assaulted also say that before the alleged assaults in his (Ghomeshi's) home he introduced them to Big Ears Teddy, a stuffed bear, and he turned the bear around just before he slapped or choked them, saying that “Big Ears Teddy shouldn’t see this.”
AThe name Jimmy Saville probably doesn't mean a great deal to non UK chewers but he was a beloved, albeit eccentric, British television personality. He was Knighted by the Queen and raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for charity.

A few years ago it came out that over a course of decades he had been systematically abusing children. The floodgates opened and countless victims were revealed. There were dozens of stories of nurses who made complaints to their superiors only to be reminded that he was a star and recently raised X amount of money for the hospital.

Some people were blind to it, some people willingly turned a blind eye, but his public persona and fame protected him. There are too many people to count that allowed him to get away with it. He died before the allegations really took off.

If this is true Fuck Bill Cosby and fuck the people who know what he did but allowed it to happen anyway. If it's true I hope his victims get justice.

Yeah if there's one thing the Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris and general Yewtree scandles have proven, it's that harmless, cuddly public personas* don't tell you shit. Especially in the 80's.

*Okay, Saville *always* seemed like a creep, but you get what I mean.

AAll these cancellations and the implosion of Cosby's career didn't happen just because of the accusations. I have a feeling everyone knew what was up with him in Hollywood. The only difference now is that we know about it now.
AThis really is such a sickening thing. Just over the top. It feels like someone's died.

You would think that someone as beloved as he was would know the value of that. That's not something you just throw away. But then again, he didn't JUST throw it away. He's been living with these skeletons in his closet for most of his life....it's only just new to US. But at some point I wouldn't have been able to look at myself in the mirror because of the gulf between who I was and who I made everyone THINK I was got so vast. He must be a true sociopath to be able to cultivate and maintain such a false persona for his long life and simultaneously do what he's apparently done..
AAs a tyke in 1979, I was doing three things: watchin' MORK & MINDY, watchin' FAT ALBERT, & playing spaceman with my Willard Decker action figure.

It's been a fucked up year.
AI still think Cosby is likely guilty of some terrible things, but when I got to the latter half of Therese Serignese's story in People...an eyebrow was raised. I can't paste it right now for some reason, but it requires you to accept a lot and play a major game of armchair psychiatrist.

I don't think it implies a lack of empathy to find it a bit odd, acknowledging a certain lack of context. That said, I can only reiterate that if this was all bullshit, he's totally missed his window to come out strong. If this was happening to me and if I was innocent*, I'd come out swinging and carpet bombing everyone in sight.

*Let's say that we're talking about soured affairs and whatnot. I'd sooner torpedo my marriage, my family, and my image, just so no one calls me out on something truly heinous and gets away with it. No way would I be politic about this at all. He has done the opposite.
A[quote name="JacknifeJohnny" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist/30#post_3805802"]I still think Cosby is likely guilty of some terrible things, but when I got to the latter half of Therese Serignese's story in People...an eyebrow was raised. I can't paste it right now for some reason, but it requires you to accept a lot and play a major game of armchair psychiatrist.

I don't think it implies a lack of empathy to find it a bit odd, acknowledging a certain lack of context.[/quote]
Was it the "staying in contact with him for 20 years/pregnancy scare but never had consensual sex with him" thing?

That all sounded very weird and far more prolonged than any of the others but I don't know if I'd class it as suspicious or not (not necessarily saying you did). If anything she came across as extremely honest about her complicity in a great many of her dealings with him..
AYeah. I've been privy to abusive relationships where terrible things happen and are endured and excused for too long, so it's not like I'm totally oblivious, but I have trouble wrapping my head around the specifics of what she described.

I guess the deal is she knew what was happening and an unspoken, but mutual agreement formed. My less sympathetic gut response wants me to say "what the fuck is wrong with you?", but not being in the situation she described, I think it's more of a measured thing to say "I really, really wish you'd done something else."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

This really is such a sickening thing. Just over the top. It feels like someone's died.

You would think that someone as beloved as he was would know the value of that. That's not something you just throw away. But then again, he didn't JUST throw it away. He's been living with these skeletons in his closet for most of his life....it's only just new to US. But at some point I wouldn't have been able to look at myself in the mirror because of the gulf between who I was and who I made everyone THINK I was got so vast. He must be a true sociopath to be able to cultivate and maintain such a false persona for his long life and simultaneously do what he's apparently done..

I really don't think Cosby thought he was doing anything wrong.  He took what he wanted because he was powerful.  I mean, he didn't even try to cover these things up.  He just left the women naked, covered in his semen sometimes.

That's fucking brazen.

Allegedly.

For sure.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Needless to say that I was calling bullshit on this a few weeks ago but now it's looking like the Jell-O pudding has hit the fan. I mean holy fucking shit this is some seriously messed up stuff.

AHere's another thing. Nobody that I know of is going to bat for this guy. Not his professional associates, fellow celebrities OR his family.

This tells me one thing. Nobody who knows Cosby was surprised by this.
A[quote name="Headless Fett" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist/30#post_3806292"]Needless to say that I was calling bullshit on this a few weeks ago but now it's looking like the Jell-O pudding has hit the fan. I mean holy fucking shit this is some seriously messed up stuff.
[/quote]
I was calling bullshit on this as well (at the VERY first) because A) I had no knowledge of the first allegations made against him a decade ago and B) because, like a lot of people I'm sure, I just really, REALLY didn't want it to be true. And that's unfortunate and unfair for the victims because I'm certain that that's the reaction they get/have gotten from the majority of folks. But there's no denying it now. The tide has definitely turned. He's not even DEFENDING himself...or his reputation anyway which seems to be utterly (and rightfully) torpedoed..

Now Lou Ferrigno's wife is saying Cosby attacked her.

Oh man, you DON'T fuck around with Hulks wife!  Anybody knows this!

Cosby finally says… something.

Quote:

I know people are tired of me not saying anything, but a guy doesn’t have to answer to innuendos. People should fact check. People shouldn’t have to go through that and shouldn’t answer to innuendos.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/bill-cosby-f...201292992/

ABullshit. It's way more than innuendo when over a dozen women have made similar claims.
AI can't believe that the media hasn't already eviscerated him anew for how he opened his act last night by mock-crying and saying "and now they're calling me an evil man and they won't eat my Jell-o anymore" *cue audience laughter*(or something to that affect). Fuck this guy. That's just the worst. That's like spitting in those women's faces..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

Bullshit. It's way more than innuendo when over a dozen women have made similar claims.

And that's the power of Trial By Internet.

Just suppose (since this IS the Internet) we learn that all 13 women are represented by one Law Firm. Or were shown to have colluded with each other as to what they said and when they said it.

I hate even thinking what I just typed above, but that's the world we are in. There are men who will abuse women around them. There are people who will seek to gain notoriety or money by making accusations against a celebrity. There are lawyers on both sides licking their chops. And there's us, people on the Internet who don't actually have all the facts but certainly have opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon Baby View Post

And there's us, people on the Internet who don't actually have all the facts but certainly have opinions.

True.  It's why I try to stay out of these things (but often fail).  Until there's some sort of trial and evidence, speculation is pointless to me...it's still just he said-she said, with the media fanning flames (and getting rich in the process), and people construct whatever narrative makes them feel good.  Even asking someone if they think he did it is nonsensical...you may as well just ask, "what narrative would you prefer be true?"  And the answer really is, "he did it because he looks creepy/celebrities are evil/men with power must be stopped/black men are rapists/so many women have come forward/yadayada." or "he didn't do it because women are liars/people prey on celebs/he's America's dad/illuminati is framing him/yadayada."  In the end, you're still just projecting.

It makes me a little bit sick to my stomach to see people eager filling up his shows to a standing ovation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

It makes me a little bit sick to my stomach to see people eager filling up his shows to a standing ovation.

In the end, they just have an opinion like everyone else.

A[quote name="Ambler" url="/community/t/152192/bill-cosby-comedian-rapist/60#post_3806562"]
True.  It's why I try to stay out of these things (but often fail).  Until there's some sort of trial and evidence, speculation is pointless to me...it's still just he said-she said, with the media fanning flames (and getting rich in the process), and people construct whatever narrative makes them feel good.  Even asking someone if they think he did it is nonsensical...you may as well just ask, "what narrative would you prefer be true?"  And the answer really is, "he did it because he looks creepy/celebrities are evil/men with power must be stopped/black men are rapists/so many women have come forward/yadayada." or "he didn't do it because women are liars/people prey on celebs/he's America's dad/illuminati is framing him/yadayada."  In the end, you're still just projecting.  
[/quote]
Maybe I am projecting. But I assure you that I didn't want this to be true as much as anyone. I'd always admired him greatly. But it all just seems....and I realize the can of worms I'm opening by saying "seems"....more and more believable. He's not even vocally defending HIMSELF over utterly horrible and evil accusations of just about the worst kind. Considering his reputation he should have come out swinging on this and declaring innocence in every medium possible to reach as many readers/listeners as possible. But he's just sticking his head in the sand and hoping it'll go away or something. Those don't seem like the actions of an innocent man who's currently having his legacy systematically dismantled. And bizarrely, there's been virtually no one coming to his defense on this. I don't know, man...I'm constructing the narrative that makes me feel not good at all..