Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Cosby: Comedian/rapist
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

I thought the Silverman joke was pretty funny, actually.

Ohh it was. It is insensitive to rapists though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Whatever turns out to be the absolute truth, Cosby's public perception went from this

to this

I would have gone with "to this":

(context: those sanctimonious comments on Lisa Bonet's racy career choices)

But the Devil in Max Devlin picture is actually him as the Devil!

And he's not the devil. He's just an old man that probably raped a bunch of people.

Yes, but it doesn't really do the creepy bastard justice in my opinion.

From 2010

ACertainly speaks to the idea that he has two faces like everyone else, but I wouldn't go beyond that. Of course, most people aren't self-made icons of "moral fortitude".
ABy the by, I spoke to my mother about this and she doesn't believe it. I argued with her a little bit about how it's all come about, but she's still pretty skeptical, as is her right.

Yeah, I can see some older people having a hugely hard time accepting this. Not only dealing with the crumbling of an icon, but confronting rape culture and women's issues and all those thorny topics.

I would say that this has been a good week for Cosby what with no new allegations and the news cycle moving on BUT you know he's sitting at home watching all this crap happening in Furgesson and not being able to say anything about it.   You know he wants to tell those looter what's what and "pull your pants up" and "stop talking funny".

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

From 2010

Ehh I believe Cosby is guilty but what he says in that interview isn't anything to talk about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

Ehh I believe Cosby is guilty but what he says in that interview isn't anything to talk about.

It's something I could literally imagine any successful straight male saying.  Hell, even the kid in Deep Impact said something similar to Elijah Wood's character after he discovered the comet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

It's something I could literally imagine any successful straight male saying.  Hell, even the kid in Deep Impact said something similar to Elijah Wood's character after he discovered the comet.

Exactly. Is it kind of funny hearing tv's family friendly dad say it? Yeah, to hear it in person would be cool but if I heard him say it and there weren't any allegations I certainly wouldn't be thinking rapist.

I just mean it's not evidence against Cosby.  It's nothing.

Quote:

I just mean it's not evidence against Cosby.  It's nothing.

Yeah I know, I agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Another aspect of this story, which distinguishes it in my mind from what Bryan Singer recently went through, is that this isn't one accuser with a long track record of claims against successful artists. There's no ambulance chasing attorney, who has made a career out of suing high and hoping for the out of court settlement. This Cosby scandal isn't the obvious shakedown that Bryan was subjected to. It's just one woman after another, saying, "this was my experience with the man." The obvious upside for the accusers simply isn't there.

But it's not just one accuser with Singer. There are stories and allegations going all the way back to APT PUPIL, and they do carry some weight. But Singer has had the overwhelming success of his X-MEN movies and a powerful movie studio (or two) on his side. At this point Cosby just doesn't have the same clout.

Singer's the focus of stories of him being a sleazy asshole who likes younger guys, but that clearly-bullshit lawsuit was the first public claim of rape and drugging. He's got nowhere near the kind of heat on him that Cosby is facing.

AIt what alternate reality does Bryan Singer have more money/clout/power than Bill Cosby does/did?
ABill Cosby's sweaters are more famous than Bryan Singer.

Plus Cosby's must be a multimillionaire if not a billionaire by now. Singer's probably a millionaire but nowhere near Cosby's scale. Cosby also has that decades long image as America's Dad.

AI'm not going to compare net worth, but irrespective of that, both Singer and Cosby travel in powerful circles and therefore both men hypothetically have the clout to ably protect themselves or take advantage of people. Does that mean that that Singer is guilty of anything aside from liking young guys? No. I like young guys too, but I don't dip below 20 and am not about to put myself in a situation where I risk going to jail. I cop to that last bit as an expression of some resentment that having a "type" makes you suspect for other shit.

20 year olds are gateway drugs to little boys and girls, everybody knows that!

AI have recently found myself driving by playgrounds...that aren't on the way home.

I wonder how any contacts between Cosby and younger women turned out these days.

"Mr Cosby, here's the soda you asked me to bring."

"Thanks, my dear." *pours himself a glass, drinks it

"Oh, you want some too?" *offers

*female assistant looks at glass. Looks at Cosby. Looks at glass. Looks at Cosby. CLENCHES BUTT.

(I say innocent until proven guilty, but this looks bad. What I really wonder is how people can believe he's guilty and still go and enjoy his stand up routine. Or what viking balls of steel he must have to continue on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn Keaton View Post

What I really wonder is how people can believe he's guilty and still go and enjoy his stand up routine).

I still enjoy Polanski's output.

I never thought Cosby was funny, but I can see people who do and think he's guilty, and still able to laugh at his jokes as almost a reflex.  I also don't bemoan anyone who turns on him.

I can still watch Tom Cruise even though I know he's part of an organization that regularly destroys people's lives.

There's a director who is responsible for the death of a crew member (and semi-successfully covered it up), who if I said his name, people would shit.  But I don't think you'd stop watching his movies.

AYou love to tease don't you?
Quote:

There's a director who is responsible for the death of a crew member (and semi-successfully covered it up), who if I said his name, people would shit.  But I don't think you'd stop watching his movies.

Your day will come, Penny Marshall.

AI suspect I know who he's talking about. Maybe.

I wont say it on a public forum, but PM me if you wanna know.

AIt's probably not the guy who's directing that Allman Brothers movie.

Sam Raimi

Joe Dante

John McTiernan

John Sayles

Jane Campion

Charles Band

David DeCoteau

Michael Haneke

Oliver Assayas

Kinji Fukasaku

Hou Hsiao Hsien

Barry Sonnenfeld

AYeah, fuck whatever we were talking about. Bill Cosby? Who cares. Now I just want to speculate about this murder director. It sounds like the plot of The Stunt Man.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Shaver View Post

Sam Raimi

Joe Dante

John McTiernan

John Sayles

Jane Campion

Charles Band

David DeCoteau

Michael Haneke

Oliver Assayas

Kinji Fukasaku

Hou Hsiao Hsien

Barry Sonnenfeld

Nope.  I've gotten some PM's already, so you know the drill if you wanna know...

Isn't it Joe Dante? For The Twilight Zone movie?  Or is that too obvious?

That was actually the John Landis segment, and it's well known, so probably not.  And Sarah Jones' death was pretty widely publicized, so it's probably not Randall Miller either.

ADidn't someone die during the production of "Apocalypse Now?"