Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INTERSTELLAR (An Observation By Christopher Nolan) Post-release Discussion
APrestige or Dark Knight. Interstellar is near the bottom of the heap for me.
AThe Prestige is brilliant. I love it.

I used to like the Dark Knight but I've soured on it over time.
Astill love dwork knwoight
AMEMENTO, THE PRESTIGE, and INCEPTION are all more conceptually sound than INTERSTELLAR, but I can't bring myself to love any of them.

INTERSTELLAR, for all of its wonkiness, has some real feeling.
AIs Mirfy an emotion? If so, I felt the Mirfees.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

MEMENTO, THE PRESTIGE, and INCEPTION are all more conceptually sound than INTERSTELLAR, but I can't bring myself to love any of them.

INTERSTELLAR, for all of its wonkiness, has some real feeling.

I can't disagree with that.

McConaughey delivers.

A[quote name="Agentsands77" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209191"]MEMENTO, THE PRESTIGE, and INCEPTION are all more conceptually sound than INTERSTELLAR, but I can't bring myself to love any of them.

INTERSTELLAR, for all of its wonkiness, has some real feeling.[/quote]

THE PRESTIGE is still my favorite Nolan... but I love INTERSTELLAR more, if that makes sense.

PRESTIGE to me is clockwork Nolan at his best, with his preferred cast of actors weaving a story I haven't seen before. I think it has editing only second to Momento, and without the gimmick to fall back on. The pivot to the supernatural also makes it unique among his films, and the emotional coldness of his direction works as an asset with these characters.

INTERSTELLAR delivers an atheistic, humanistic ode to humanity at our best, and our worst. It is the only Nolan film to move me to tears. Zimmer's score grips me in a way I can't entirely explain. I saw it first while
my wife was pregnant, and then again after my son was born, and it's a film written for parents. It's a movie that FEELS, and makes me feel in turn. It's also the only film to produce actual peer-reviewed science literature for the visual processing on black hole and wormhole event horizon GR solutions. It's unique. It's also the most flawed of his original films that I've seen (I haven't seen FOLLOWING, and I believe all 3 Batman films each carry more flaws). But it's the one I love most.

It's definitely a film written for a parent. Nolan doesn't do living couples.

Dark Knight is, likely to no one's surprise, my top Nolan film, but it's followed closely by Interstellar.

I think Prestige and Inception, though, are "purest" Nolan: though one's based on an existing story, he used both to openly explore/expose his views on filmmaking, which is about as personal he gets.

Ranking!

Inception

The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

Batman Begins

Memento

Interstellar

The Prestige

Insomnia

Inception has the biggest emotional moment that hits me hardest, and that's when Fischer finds the pinwheel.

It's a beautiful moment and gets me every time.

Interstellar is a bit too flabby for me, but the frantic docking scene is a favorite of mine. I do admit Cooper watching the video of his kids growing up is some amazing acting.

How about the other "i" movie, Insomnia? People forget it exists, but it's got a tense atmosphere and Robin Williams is very creepy as a serial killer in it.

Sorry guys, it's Memento and then everything else.

A[quote name="Bartleby_Scriven" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209285"]
Inception has the biggest emotional moment that hits me hardest, and that's when Fischer finds the pinwheel.[/quote]
What moves you about that moment?

[quote name="Hammerhead" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209289"]Sorry guys, it's Memento and then everything else.
[/quote]
MEMENTO has the strongest architecture of any Nolan contraption, but it's not as engaging to watch as it is to talk about.
AThe music swelling, Fischer finally finding closure with his father, Tom Hardy's knowing smile.

Are we needing to quantify emotional reactions now?
ANo, I was just curious if it was something thematic that you could expand upon. No judgment.

It's a moment that always elicited something of a shrug from me, so I just wanted to see if there was something there I wasn't picking up on.
ANot thematic, just pure emotion. Certainly Fischer's story is complicated by the fact that it's all a lie. But that certainly ties into a recurring theme with Nolan, from Memento to Insomnia and The Dark Knight of characters either lying to themselves or being fed a lie in order to struggle on.
A[quote name="Bartleby_Scriven" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209297"]Not thematic, just pure emotion. Certainly Fischer's story is complicated by the fact that it's all a lie. But that certainly ties into a recurring theme with Nolan, from Memento to Insomnia and The Dark Knight of characters either lying to themselves or being fed a lie in order to struggle on.[/quote]

Also INTERSTELLAR. Plan A was a lie.
AWhat's provocative is how TDKR represents a turning point with the lies. In all the movies before that the lie either destroys the main characters or they embrace it as a necessary evil. In TDKR and Interstellar the lie gets out and there is proven to be better alternatives.
AI wonder if that trope will show up in DUNKIRK.
A[quote name="Bartleby_Scriven" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209309"]What's provocative is how TDKR represents a turning point with the lies. In all the movies before that the lie either destroys the main characters or they embrace it as a necessary evil. In TDKR and Interstellar the lie gets out and there is proven to be better alternatives.[/quote]

In INTERSTELLAR that's definitely true. TDKR undercuts that message by still ending with a lie, albeit a different one for different (more pure) motivations.
AWell Batman does really "die", and Bruce reveals himself to be alive to Alfred (and Lucius, in a roundabout way). But I see what you mean.
A[quote name="Bartleby_Scriven" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209327"]Well Batman does really "die", and Bruce reveals himself to be alive to Alfred (and Lucius, in a roundabout way). But I see what you mean.[/quote]

It's an Obi-Wan. And we all know what an asshole he was.
AOh definitely, Bruce certain points of view it. But if he had been truthful all along, we wouldn't have the great tearful My Cocaine moment at the Wayne graves.
A[quote name="Bartleby_Scriven" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209331"]Oh definitely, Bruce certain points of view it. But if he had been truthful all along, we wouldn't have the great tearful My Cocaine moment at the Wayne graves.[/quote]

Yeah I really love the whole last 10 minutes of that film. Just observing that while it works like gangbusters (for me, understand that isn't a universal opinion) it does serve to undercut the "let the Truth have its day" message from the first 90% of the film.
A[quote name="Analog Olmos" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209325"]
In INTERSTELLAR that's definitely true. TDKR undercuts that message by still ending with a lie, albeit a different one for different (more pure) motivations.[/quote]

It doesn't end with a lie at all. The movie ends with Bruce revealing himself to be alive to Gordon (the light on the building), to Fox (the patch on The Bat) and Alfred (the cafe). So actually, the movie ends with The Truth.
A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209357"]
It doesn't end with a lie at all. The movie ends with Bruce revealing himself to be alive to Gordon (the light on the building), to Fox (the patch on The Bat) and Alfred (the cafe). So actually, the movie ends with The Truth.[/quote]
But he didn't reveal it to Gotham

My favorite moment in Interstellar is McConaughey getting back to the ship and seeing the video of his daughter through the decades. For me, that's the most emotional moment in Nolan's filmography by a mile. LAWD, it's crushing.

And at the end, McConaughey walks into the hospital where his daughter is on the verge of death, and his descendants stare at him like he took a shit on the floor. HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT MOMENT UP?

OOOO LISTS!

Inception - If someone asks about Nolan's style and concerns, I would point to this film. I still love it.
The Dark Knight - This movie's been talked to death, but as long as Marvel makes their bland-a-thons, I'll always hold this in high esteem.

Batman Begins - I love this movie, silliness and all. See my above thoughts about Marvel's blandness. (NOTE: I'm well aware this succumbs to that same blandness in the final half hour.)

Prestige and Memento - Respect both films, and haven't seen either of them in years.

Interstellar - Half-majestic, Half-dumber than my foot.

The Dark Knight Rises - This movie is dumb and silly. I've seen it 10 times.

Insomnia - If this were made by a boring Hollywood hack, we'd be praising its craftsmanship. As is, it's the cinematic embodiment of the shrug emoji.

A[quote name="Agentsands77" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1080#post_4209358"]
But he didn't reveal it to Gotham[/quote]

Nobody cares about a dead, rich playboy.
A[quote name="Mangy" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1110#post_4209359"]My favorite moment in Interstellar is McConaughey getting back to the ship and seeing the video of his daughter through the decades. For me, that's the most emotional moment in Nolan's filmography by a mile. LAWD, it's crushing.

And at the end, McConaughey walks into the hospital where his daughter is on the verge of death, and his descendants stare at him like he took a shit on the floor. HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT MOMENT UP?

OOOO LISTS!

Inception - If someone asks about Nolan's style and concerns, I would point to this film. I still love it.

The Dark Knight - This movie's been talked to death, but as long as Marvel makes their bland-a-thons, I'll always hold this in high esteem.
Batman Begins - I love this movie, silliness and all. See my above thoughts about Marvel's blandness. (NOTE: I'm well aware this succumbs to that same blandness in the final half hour.)
Prestige and Memento - Respect both films, and haven't seen either of them in years.
Interstellar - Half-majestic, Half-dumber than my foot.
The Dark Knight Rises - This movie is dumb and silly. I've seen it 10 times.
Insomnia - If this were made by a boring Hollywood hack, we'd be praising its craftsmanship. As is, it's the cinematic embodiment of the shrug emoji.

[/quote]

I still think if you delete the dialogue track from the moment Cooper enters the Black Hole to the moment he exits, keeping all the other audio, INTERSTELLAR becomes the crowing masterpiece of his filmography.
A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1110#post_4209360"]
Nobody cares about a dead, rich playboy.[/quote]
But they care about a dead Batman. They commemorate his death with monuments.
A[quote name="Agentsands77" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1110#post_4209369"]
But they care about a dead Batman. They commemorate his death with monuments.[/quote]

I always wondered if they'd take it down as soon as BlakeBats made his debut.
ALie or no, it doesn't feel like it plays into the overall theme. Like we're told in Begins, it doesn't matter who you are but what you dooooooooo. So it doesn't matter who Batman was. What matters is he saved the city.

The Dark Knight ends with a reversal: Batman thinks it's more important that people think he's a murderer. Inaction is the solution in that moment, and that gets him in trouble in TDKR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

But they care about a dead Batman. They commemorate his death with monuments.

Batman is dead. Remember?  He wasn't ever an entity, but a symbol.

I think this literal reading is getting in the way of the thematics of the series is set up.

A[quote name="Carnotaur3" url="/community/t/152210/interstellar-an-observation-by-christopher-nolan-post-release-discussion/1110#post_4209386"]
Batman is dead. Remember?  He wasn't ever an entity, but a symbol.

I think this literal reading is getting in the way of the thematics of the series is set up. 
[/quote]

Sure, but the last shot of the film is literally showing you Batman rising. Batman isn't dead at all. In fact he's immortal. The ending of TDKR (and to the story of Batman in general in Nolan'a trilogy) is that there will ALWAYS be a Batman.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Analog Olmos View Post

Sure, but the last shot of the film is literally showing you Batman rising. Batman isn't dead at all. In fact he's immortal. The ending of TDKR (and to the story of Batman in general in Nolan'a trilogy) is that there will ALWAYS be a Batman.

Oh well then where is the lie?

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby_Scriven View Post

Inception has the biggest emotional moment that hits me hardest, and that's when Fischer finds the pinwheel.

It's a beautiful moment and gets me every time.

Thanks for reminding me of this!  Yeah, this moment gets me too!  Murphy is so great in it and he does it with SUCH little screentime, which only ends up making the ineffectiveness of DiCaprio's drama stand out even worse (for me).

The fact that it's a fiction created by Cobb's team only ends up making it more emotional for me.  Because it's less about how true the catharsis is and more about just how much he needed it.