Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official Black Mirror thread (spoilers!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Just a quick reminder to UK chewers that the Black Mirror Christmas special airs tonight at 9pm on Channel 4!

A quick reminder to US chewers that are going to pirate this, it usually takes about 3 hours after airing to be put up. However remember that the time differences with the UK and America.

Oh, I just realized that there's a front page article about this. How weird. Doesn't usually happen for UK TV.

a clip from Black Mirror Christmas~

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waaaaaaaalt View Post

A quick reminder to US chewers that are going to pirate this, it usually takes about 3 hours after airing to be put up. However remember that the time differences with the UK and America.

It will also be showing Christmas day on Audience Network (Direct TV) in the US.

ASweet. I was worried Audience wouldn't air it until next year.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

It will also be showing Christmas day on Audience Network (Direct TV) in the US.

Yeah like anyone is going to wait for that.

Thought it might be helpful to people who don't use dodgy methods to watch the latest shows. But noted, I'll make sure not to post info like that in future!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Thought it might be helpful to people who don't use dodgy methods to watch the latest shows. But noted, I'll make sure not to post info like that in future!

Thanks man, I mean people don't actually have Directv do they?

Still shouldn't take an attitude of "pfft, as if anyone would watch it LEGALLY lol losers". At least TRY to hide the fact that you're stealing content.

Having said that, has it aired yet? Where the hell is it? Looking everywhere for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd View Post

Still shouldn't take an attitude of "pfft, as if anyone would watch it LEGALLY lol losers". At least TRY to hide the fact that you're stealing content.

Having said that, has it aired yet? Where the hell is it? Looking everywhere for it.

I actually am kidding. I haven't watch any episode of black mirror.

I thought this was fantastic.

I found myself continually re-evaluating it as it went on; a result, no doubt, of the previous episodes setting such a high standard. I wasn't sure at first, probably because I'd guessed where that first story was going at quite an early stage which slightly disappointed me, but the introduction of the 'cookie' was where I began to really warm to the episode. It was with the third story and the wrap-around, however, where I became certain that this would rank extremely highly on my list of favorite Black Mirror episodes. The concept of that real world block, stopping you from even seeing photographs of that person, is absolutely terrifying to me.

And how great was Jon Hamm? I can't imagine anyone else in that role now, which is a testament to him.

I laughed when I saw that one of the men helping Hamm during the first story had a username referencing Waldo. Wasn't a big fan of that particular episode but I'll have to give it another watch some time.

Anyone know when we're getting more episodes of this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The NZ Natural View Post

I sometimes wonder if Brooker is making a few self-aware comments about himself with the ending to that episode.  The whole resolution of "this guy is a threat to the machine - make his whole angle PART of the machine!" seems a little self-aware.  Charlie himself is constantly berating TV, the media and so forth, but he knows that at the end of the day, he's simply a part of that entire industry after all.

The whole thing's a fifty-fifty between his own self-loathing and his co-writer's (his wife!) experiences working with Simon Cowell on X-Factor or whichever variant of the talent nonsense it was that she worked on for a time. Suffice to say, she did not enjoy it much.

The Christmas special was incredible, if more predictable than the rest of the episodes. That whole thing with the cookies was utterly terrifying, Jon Hamm casually eating toast while torturing someone for months at a time, gah.

Goddamit. I want to see White Christmas. Now.

I've got one more episode (The Waldo Moment) to watch of S2.  These things can be so bleak that it's the most difficult marathon to sit through. White Bear just plain did me in, mentally.  Giving it another day before I watch that last ep.

This series, though, is insanely compelling stuff.  I couldn't turn away from White Bear and the end turned my stomach.  I don't care if that woman (SPOILERS, btw).......deserved it or not - that shit was unsettling; especially the amount of glee there was in the participants.

Be Right Back.  Tragic. Heartbreaking.  Hayley Attwell was a revelation.  Brilliant episode.

So White Christmas was suitably bleak, huh?  Really dug it.  Watching Spall and Hamm sit across a table from each other was absolutely captivating.  And although it was a bit more predictable than most stories, as already mentioned, it really didn't matter.  In fact, seeing it coming might have even made it more dreadful.  Red Block.  Fuck, man.

I have a feeling this will end up being my favorite Christmas special of the year.

Brooker sez:

Americans! See BLACK MIRROR WHITE CHRISTMAS on Christmas Day: http://youtu.be/2OIkZQJMMBk 

Screw all you Brits (or Commonwealth folk) who already got to see it... Jealous, jealous.

Why isn't Jon Hamm a bigger star? I keep thinking back to this episode and how much charisma the guy has, and I also know he's been constantly brilliant in Mad Men (I could never get into it but I recognized it was my fault rather than the show's). Hell, I've even heard great things about that mini-series he did with Daniel Radcliffe recently. Is it his age or something? It just feels like he should be, if not headlining then at least at the top of the cast, in movies right now.

APresumably had to keep a lot of his last few working years free for shooting Mad Men, and has stated in promos for this that he really doesn't fancy the idea of signing away the next ten years of his life doing whatever film franchise.

A guy who looks like that and marries Jennifer Westfeldt is probably seriously low key.  They probably read The New Yorker and use Yelp a lot.

Fantastic episode.   One thing I really appreciate is how lived in the future is on this show.   Something like "The Cookie" has so many amazing story possibilities and the show decides that people will use it as a home maintenance device.   Feels much more accurate.   After all, imagine what people in the 60's would have thought about smart phones and how we would use them.   They'd be way off base.

I WANNA SEEEEEEEE

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

I WANNA SEEEEEEEE

It will be on the Audience Channel soon.   America's number 1 network.

1 1/2 episodes in.  Totally hooked.  Modern day Twilight Zone, but based on comments expect more twists to come.

I caught this quite a while back before it was on netflix and instantly fell in love with it.  I couldn't wait for the Christmas special to air here, so I did see it...amazing, best episode so far if it's even possible for this fantastic show to get any better.

It really is the best series of it's kind since TZ.  I love how it swings for the fences every time out.  It's crazy creative.

ASaxon, both Hamm and Radcliffe were both brilliant in Young Doctor's Notebook. You should check it out.

Loved this as I expected I would. Initially I was worried that I was watching a collection of half finished ideas collated together but it came together so well and so seamlessly that I felt a pang of guilt for ever doubting Brooker. My God I do love Charlie Brooker.

I thought the Christmas episode was OK, I think it tried to do too many things all at once, seemed a bit disjointed. Some really interesting tech ideas here, but there's about 3 possible stories around them and they got mixed into this one kind of unnecessarily.

But Jon Hamm was great, just thought the story was all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCapitanAmerica View Post

I thought the Christmas episode was OK, I think it tried to do too many things all at once, seemed a bit disjointed. Some really interesting tech ideas here, but there's about 3 possible stories around them and they got mixed into this one kind of unnecessarily.

But Jon Hamm was great, just thought the story was all over the place.

I have to admit that I'm completely baffled by this.

All three stories adhere to Black Mirror's central theme of looking at the darker side of technological advancements and all three are justified not only by the way they are folded into the wraparound narrative but by the way they feed into the conclusion of the episode. Additionally, each one furthers our understanding of Jon Hamm's Matt who begins as a mystery, turns into a trickster, becomes a criminal, and then a torturer, before almost being revealed as something of an anti-hero. It's a testament to both the writing and acting that you're given several reasons to dislike Matt but, when that final punch comes, you can't help but feel sorry for the guy.

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion but I honestly fail to see how anyone can miss the narrative threads linking these stories and call them "disjointed" or, after the final twist, claim that each segment got "mixed into this one kind of unnecessarily" when all three were plainly necessary.

That blocking thing is terrifying.

There's a low-res version of this on YouTube, with commercials. I'm guessing that's still dodgy, right?

Man, I want to watch this.

Eurgh.

Why would you wanna watch it with those horrible borders?

Why Stevehauk?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Great ep!  Love the blocking element and the final twist was a tad obvious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I have to admit that I'm completely baffled by this.

All three stories adhere to Black Mirror's central theme of looking at the darker side of technological advancements and all three are justified not only by the way they are folded into the wraparound narrative but by the way they feed into the conclusion of the episode. Additionally, each one furthers our understanding of Jon Hamm's Matt who begins as a mystery, turns into a trickster, becomes a criminal, and then a torturer, before almost being revealed as something of an anti-hero. It's a testament to both the writing and acting that you're given several reasons to dislike Matt but, when that final punch comes, you can't help but feel sorry for the guy.

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion but I honestly fail to see how anyone can miss the narrative threads linking these stories and call them "disjointed" or, after the final twist, claim that each segment got "mixed into this one kind of unnecessarily" when all three were plainly necessary.

Yeah, I was tempted to write something similar to this earlier but couldn't be bothered.  Totally agreed.  The ep was brilliant.