Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official Black Mirror thread (spoilers!)

Oh man, that was great!

I could see where it was going pretty early on, but it really didn't matter.  Just bleak bleak bleak fun!

OK, maybe I'll have to watch it again. I thought it was enjoyable, I just felt they were trying to cram too many ideas into one episode. It felt like 3 stories in one, that could have been separate.

Also

The "egg" thing doesn't really make a lot of sense, it did seem more of a half baked idea. Think about it, you want to have a digital assistant at home and you're willing to go through surgery for that? It's fairly simple with today's technology to have something that learns your preferences pretty quick, you don't need to create a seemingly sentient replicate of yourself to do that and torture them.

I felt there were a lot of ideas that would have been interesting to explore by themselves, like the "blocking thing". Again, great idea but what happens if you communicate by writing something in paper, or by email, how far does it extend?

Again, I liked the ideas, and Jon Hamm in particular, but just wish it wasn't all over the place.

I can understand that reaction.  And I had similar thoughts about the egg thing.  But what I loved about all this tech in the episode was that it was building on the stuff revealed in all the other episodes (except the pilot, I guess) and making me realize that this show is establishing a kind of continuity.

We saw a taste of the block tech in a previous episode, I think.  And I would love for the show to revisit it to see how far it goes.

It is three stories in one, but that's the game the episode was playing in leading up to the point of Hamm telling these stories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElCapitanAmerica View Post

The "egg" thing doesn't really make a lot of sense, it did seem more of a half baked idea. Think about it, you want to have a digital assistant at home and you're willing to go through surgery for that? It's fairly simple with today's technology to have something that learns your preferences pretty quick, you don't need to create a seemingly sentient replicate of yourself to do that and torture them.

I had a few friends over for a light Christmas supper last night and we ended up watching the special out of their curiousity afterwards.  Man, totally RUINED their Christmas.  The reactions by the time the credits rolled were pretty incredible, and it resulted in some pretty great discussion, too.  And El Cap's point was one of the things that got brought up.  For my money, a great deal of Black Mirror isn't so much about the tech - it's still really about the people and how they use the tech.  In the case of the Cookie, the way I see it is that you're right - modern tech is at that stage where we can have most of that stuff automated to how we like things.  But it's human nature to always want more - "the amount of sunlight coming through in the morning could always be that tiny bit less harsh".  "That toast gets made on it's own and I don't have to do shit but it could always be that tiny bit less dark" (to use an example from the show itself).  "My organiser app is a lifesaver, but I wish I didn't have to access it myself and go over it . . . if only there was a way to have it dictated to me".  No matter how easy we have it, we always want it better.  And I think that's where the concept of the Cookie shines - would your nature to always want more be so selfish that if you were presented with a way to have it, but it meant essentially enslaving someone and destroying who they are, even if it was YOURSELF, would you do it?
Making a perfect replica of yourself to be a slave that makes your life exactly how you want it to be, but having to break what is essentially your own spirit, will and values so it complies?  You'd happily do that to yourself?  Sure, it's not a real person, but it doesn't know that - and you know it doesn't know that.  That's why you signed up for the service in the first place.

There's some really big questions in there that boil down to how cool you are with the idea of slavery at the end of the day.

ALoved it. Very soft on its apparent attempt to tie the series up into a single continuity. On one hand it made for some interesting callbacks and world-building (gulp), but it also puts the show into a box and constrains what it can do and limits where it can go.

Unbelievably good. The only problem I had was the continuity parts. I liked they put the song from 15 million merits, but the tv showed that those events were concurrent with that awful talent show being very real in that timeline, and she says in 15 million merits that's it's an old song her mom taught her. I didn't really get how that fit with the world presented by the special.

AI wonder if the bikers in 15 Million Merits are supposed to be Cookies?
AThat's a fun idea, but aren't they supposed to be generating power? Unless that's all some front for something even bleaker. Hahahah
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerr345 View Post

Unbelievably good. The only problem I had was the continuity parts. I liked they put the song from 15 million merits, but the tv showed that those events were concurrent with that awful talent show being very real in that timeline, and she says in 15 million merits that's it's an old song her mom taught her. I didn't really get how that fit with the world presented by the special.

Personally I don't think they're connected at all.  You see him flick past a talent show, but there's no signage for Hot Shot indicating that it's that talent show (and if you really want to get pedantic, it was showing a dance troupe - it would be hard for a group of cyclists to get 15,000,000 merits each to go in as a team, you'd think).  Every second show on TV these days is one of those damn things, so I don't think it's an intentional connection.

As for the song, that's a non-issue.  Her mum never said it's a song she created - an old song your parents teach you could be anything by The Beatles, for example.

American remake in the works.  In other news, the sky is blue.

Oh, a remake series.

I thought this was just gonna be more info about RDJ buying the rights to turn THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF YOU into a movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

American remake in the works.  In other news, the sky is blue.

Jesus Christ.

I'll never understand this need by American tv to remake things which are already in a format that can be readily understood and digested by an American audience. If Game Of Thrones had been a British production, it would probably have been remade with American accents by now so that the folk in Iowa can better associate with it.

American Ver is in the works.  Booker will be show runner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

I'll never understand this need by American tv to remake things which are already in a format that can be readily understood and digested by an American audience. If Game Of Thrones had been a British production, it would probably have been remade with American accents by now so that the folk in Iowa can better associate with it.

Yeah, but you know what I want? More Black Mirror. If Channel 4 only wants to do 3 episodes every few years and a Christmas Special then to hell with them. We can't have nice things because we're just too slow and too cheap. This is not the year of dystopian nearfuture-fi, this is the year of Davies' return to edgy homosexual comedy/drama. Channel 4 can only seemingly do one thing at once.

There's no way Brooker is being tasked with reshooting seven episodes, (nine if we split up the Xmas special) we're going to get some new stories out of this.

And... I really can't imagine several of the stories would translate exactly. White Bear says a lot about our national obsession with 'tabloid monsters', The National Anthem and Waldo work because of our political system. Not saying those stories wouldn't work in the states, but they would need changing.

Just got into this thanks to the current PM getting a BJ from a pig back in the day.  Not reading the thread till I see White Christmas.  Anyway to see it legally online?  Not sure why Netflix doesn't have it.

Ahttp://deadline.com/2016/02/joe-wright-to-direct-black-mirror-ep-for-netflix-bryce-dallas-howard-and-alice-eve-to-star-1201699785/

Black Mirror series 3 hits UK television in October. Not sure about Netflix.

October 21st on Netflix too:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/black-mi...201840495/

Interesting to see that one episode will not only be written by Rashida Jones, but directed by Joe Wright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Interesting to see that one episode will not only be written by Rashida Jones, but directed by Joe Wright.

I am bit nervous of her co-writers. I am just a tad concerned about toooone.

I know what you mean. It's slightly odd to have one guy write all but one of the six episodes, but I put my trust in Charlie Brooker.

Charlie Brooker previews new episodes tackling social media, online rage, more-

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/09/bla...or-netflix

Black Mirror season 3 debuts Oct. 21 on Netflix.

mmmm delicious digital misery!!!

can't wait!

I like how the world of Black Mirror is becoming increasingly global. I'd love them to do an entire episode filmed in Japan or maybe South Korea, with all of the dialogue in that of its native speakers.

AOooooooo goodygoodygoodygoody.
AThis show is very smart, but, boy, is it a tough watch. I don't think I have the constitution for it.

I revel in the despair!!

ATen years ago, I would have eaten this up.

Right now, not so much.

@_@

AStill might get an eye-roll either way, but I realize that comes off as a political remark, which it isn't.

I don't have the same tolerance for chilly, bitter bleakness that I did a decade ago. I ate that stuff up in my late teens and early twenties. Some of that is just growing older and softer, some of that is having gone through some ugly stuff and having to actively work to keep the darkness at bay.

Sounds like you need a dose of the cheery optimism of...

HAMILTON!!

(I'm sorry about the ugly stuff and darkness)

A[Video]https://youtu.be/pqv_LUStxDw[/video]

THIS FRIDAY!!!