Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official Black Mirror thread (spoilers!)

I refuse to watch or read anything about this series until after I've seen the episodes.

Is this going to be available all-at-once, or individually?

oh, and...

AI've been recommending this to everyone. A buddy at work finished National Anthem and texted me with a "Holy shit!"

Can't flippin wait.

Barry Shitpeas is one of those jokes that will never not be funny to me. 

That, and "PM Gonna f--k a pig LOL." 

Netflix is dropping them all at once. But be aware, Brooker's taking advantage of that sweet sweet streaming money so some episodes are longer than 40 minutes.

home taping is killing music

Wait, is this getting a simultaneous worldwide release, as in available on US Netflix at the same time as in the UK? If so, that's fantastic. I remember waiting what felt like forever for the first season to become available over here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disciple_72 View Post

Wait, is this getting a simultaneous worldwide release, as in available on US Netflix at the same time as in the UK? If so, that's fantastic. I remember waiting what felt like forever for the first season to become available over here.

Netflix's US division is producing two seasons of the show  - six episodes this year, six episodes next - so I don't know if it'll be available in the UK at the same time.

As far as I'm aware, everyone is getting it at the same time on Friday so watch out for spoilers on your social media sites.

Just seen IGN's video review and they loved it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

As far as I'm aware, everyone is getting it at the same time on Friday so watch out for spoilers on your social media sites.

Just seen IGN's video review and they loved it.

Sepinwall, who I generally trust, was mixed, but "National Anthem" and "Entire History of You" didn't make his top three favorite episodes, so make of that what you will.

The truth is probably going to be somewhere in-between. I expect some of the episodes will be great and others might be average-good. That tends to be the way with anthology shows.

A3.1 Nosedive

A nice strong start. Not quite as harrowing as some of the previous episodes, but not without some bite.

Now, please upvote this post . . . I'm trying to get into a new apartment.

Gak. I should have taken the day off work.

AI'm starting to feel the same way.

3.2 Playtest

Merely good. Being a Black Mirror episode, 'merely good' is still excellent.

3.3 Shut Up and Dance

Fuck you, Black Mirror . . . just fuck you. This season's White Bear . . . I went to sleep last night angry. This one is gonna stick with me a while.

You're about the third person I've seen who has said that about "Shut Up And Dance". I've heard it's possibly the darkest Black Mirror episode so far, and am I'm dying to find out why.

*Looks across his office desk to the clock*

3.1 is pretty much the horror version of the meowbeans Community episode. 3.2 is alright but the twist is pretty predictable.

I'm excited for 3.3 because of what you said Turing. White Bear is my favorite episode so I hope this one is as good.

There was a denial of service attack (two actually, one in morning and one around noon) and Netflix was effected (and many websites were disrupted)

so if you had a hard time accessing the show today, that might be why..

Just did Nosedive. The American budget and production values showed through, not just in the cast but in the camera work and in the multiple locations and sets.

Yeah, I adored it. My missus thought it was hilariously apt as I'm insanely more polite to Uber drivers than I am to normal taxi drivers, because I'm concerned about my star rating. Which means FUCK ALL.

I'd care about my reputation here if they hadn't changed the scoring rules whilst I had a break from the site a few years back. Thus making it mathematically unachievable to attain some of the scores that some of the more illustrious members of this community have. So I don't care. Not at all. Not a bit.

Please won't you have an organic smoothie?

Just finished 3.1 "Nosedive" and loved it (particularly the score). I was at a work function recently which quickly descended into everyone sitting silently around a table staring at their phones so they could update their status on Facebook or post pictures of their empty wine glasses, and I couldn't help but think of that whilst watching this episode. I guess that's one of the things I've always liked about Black Mirror - the world is instantly recognisable no matter how outlandish the central concept of an episode sometimes is.

I saw an interview with Joe Wright about "Nosedive" and the interviewer asked what made him want to direct it. He mentioned how the opportunity arose after Pan had been released and the critics were tearing both the movie and his work as a director apart. "I know what it's like to be given one star out of five," he acknowledged.

Loved the black humor of the ending of 3.2 "Playtest".

He spent the entire episode avoiding calling his mom and yet, as they noted, it was the final thing he ever did.

Man, 3.3 "Shut Up And Dance"...

Somehow they made

even more annoying than it already is.

Still, despite its bleakness, I liked this one quite a lot and I can see why it's been likened to "White Bear" (another episode I enjoyed quite a bit).

Sad I'm half way through already but it's been a strong season so far, in my opinion.

Watched all six episodes last night. I'm exhausted today.

Final almost-movie-length ep was amazing.

I didn't think it would be, based on the first half of the episode and where I suspected it was going, but 3.4 "San Junipero" may end up being the season highlight for me. It makes sense that the darkest episode so far would be followed by perhaps the most optimistic and, once the episode played its cards, it hit me squarely in the feels.

I can't think of anything more beautiful than being able to live on, as the best version of yourself and in an era where you're happiest, after your real body dies. As I sat there and thought about all of the people I've lost along the way and how wonderful it would be to see them again in that capacity, I'll admit to having a bit of a lump in my throat.

If the other episodes showed how destructive technology can be, "San Junipero" showed the flip-side and I loved every minute.

Also: I apparently have the hot for Gugu Mbatha-Raw now, especially if she's wearing 80's clothing for some reason.

Have only watched Nosedive so far.  I figure if ever there was a show you should NOT binge, it's this one.  So I'm just going to watch one a day, and that will help make this Thursday come faster when Doctor Strange opens here.  Not much to say about the ep after what everyone else has said, but I cackled with glee to see Alan Ritchson turn up as Perfect Husband.  It's taking a while but the guy is finally starting to string a career together - I really hope the guy gets that big break soon (my vote would be for Shazam!) cos he thoroughly deserves it.

Nosedive is just a perfect Black Mirror episode. Great direction, and great performance from Bryce Dallas Howard (honestly never thought I would type that sentence). Yeah on a basic level it does have something in common with meowmeowbeanz, but it expands on that in so many interesting ways, really getting into the meat of what happens when technology interferes with personal validation and class/social standing. Love the takeaway message, always had a strong aversion to Facebook and Instagram and the rest, so felt quite validated after watching it. Quality.

Playtest was a nice little nod to the horror gamers. Some cute The Thing references in there that wouldn't be half as fun if Wyatt Russell wasn't the spitting image of his dad. BTW hope all the other survival horror fans noticed his character name

"C. Redfield"

On to the other episodes...

Ha. I never noticed that!

Another neat little shout-out in "Playtest"...

They used the infamous "Would you kindly..." bit from Bioshock.

Finally caught up on the first two seasons and the special in advance of season three.  My arbitrary rankings so far: 

7. Waldo Moment

6. 15 Million Merits

5. White Bear

4. White Christmas

3. Entire History of You
2. National Anthem
1. Be Right Back

I will say, I would watch all of these episodes again - like I often do with Waldo or National Anthem, and Be Right Back is maybe one of the best ghost stories of this cenntury - except for White Bear. I have absolutely no desire to watch that one ever again - I found it upsetting on a profound level. Great episode. But really upsetting. 

Also, if you've already raced through season 3 and are looking for your fix, might I recommend Alexander Weinstein's short story collection Children of the New World? Similar tone and themes as Black Mirror, and although some of the pieces are humorous, there are some pieces in here (like the title story, and one called "Heartland) that are just fucking bleak and devastating. 

https://www.amazon.com/Children-New-Worl...1250098998

A[quote name="Disciple_72" url="/community/t/152504/the-official-black-mirror-thread-spoilers/100#post_4157431"]Nosedive is just a perfect Black Mirror episode. Great direction, and great performance from Bryce Dallas Howard (honestly never thought I would type that sentence). Yeah on a basic level it does have something in common with meowmeowbeanz, but it expands on that in so many interesting ways, really getting into the meat of what happens when technology interferes with personal validation and class/social standing. Love the takeaway message, always had a strong aversion to Facebook and Instagram and the rest, so felt quite validated after watching it. Quality.

Playtest was a nice little nod to the horror gamers. Some cute The Thing references in there that wouldn't be half as fun if Wyatt Russell wasn't the spitting image of his dad. BTW hope all the other survival horror fans noticed his character name

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]"C. Redfield"[/SPOILER]

On to the other episodes...
[/quote]

Holy shit, I didn't realize who Wyatt Russell was (guess I'm not up on my famous actor progeny). But I did ask myself, why does this guy look just like Kurt Russell in "The Thing"? I thought it was only the beard. Now I can understand the reference!

"Playtest" and "Shut Up and Dance" are both top notch Black Mirror. "Nosedive" didn't really do it for me. Lacked the punch I want from this show, though the world was well-realized and it looked pretty.

Saving thevrest of the eps for the next couple days. But so far, so excellent.
AToo bad Wyatt's old man didn't teach the lad his foolproof way of dealing with troublesome technology: simply pour a glass of whiskey over it, call it a bitch, and boom, problem solved. Actually Kurt's method would probably yield positive results for most characters on Black Mirror.
AMan, "Shut Up and Dance" really is as good as everyone says. A classic Brooker sick joke episode. And speaking of those sick ones, we were talking about fun little details before, there's a great one in this episode in the form of a small easily missed news website headline on a computer screen:

[spoiler]

"PM Callow to divorce"

(nice of them to give us an update on the old pigfucker)

[/spoiler]
AHaha. You're way more observant than I am. I have a friend who really objected to the shared universe quality of this show after "White Christmas" but I dig it, particularly when it's a blink-and-miss-it sort of deal.

There's another shared universe reference in "San Junipero":

Kelly threatens to "red light" her male stalker; a reference to the same fate which befell Matt Trent (Jon Hamm) at the end of "White Christmas".
AHaven't had time to catch up after Shut Up And Dance, and despite my visceral first reaction to it, I haven't grown to appreciate as much as I have like the little things in Nosedive. One favorite is the second scene with the woman in the elevator and her mocking snub of a giving of a rating. Perfect little example of the confidence in the world it was building.

[quote name="Slim" url="/community/t/152504/the-official-black-mirror-thread-spoilers/100#post_4157581"]Haha. You're way more observant than I am. I have a friend who really objected to the shared universe quality of this show after "White Christmas" but I dig it, particularly when it's a blink-and-miss-it sort of deal.[/quote]

I wasn't thrilled with the intimations that there is a continuity between episodes introduced in the Christmas special. I am starting to come around to the idea, and have been pondering a chronology to organize them that fits the tech as introduced, starting with Anthem and SU&D.

I thought 3.5 "Men Against War" was merely good whereas the others have been very good to exceptional but, as TuringMachine pointed out earlier, even "merely good" here is usually an excellent for most shows.

This episode marks the third appearance of Irma Thomas' "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)". Must be Charlie Brooker's favorite song or something.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Nosedive:

"Why is Cherry Jones in this?

Oh. That's why you get Cherry Jones."