Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The official Black Mirror thread (spoilers!)

I'm just not the biggest fan of San Junipero to begin with, so that puts me in the minority anyways.

AThis may be a bit much, but breaking the GrandUnifiedTheory up into two or three separate UnifiedFieldTheories is more in line with how my head cannon might do it. Cookie Tech (AI;simulated entities) is all united, but away from Temple Tech (...simulations...) and Eye Tech (social media;simulated relationships). I'd work if there was any clear distinction in any given episode, so oh well.

Love San Junipero, but I do think it gave us a minor issue or two to use to question the value of the entire enterprise.

Having another episode set there would be nice. Hell, quietly give us one a season to see the place evolve.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turingmachine75 View Post

Hell, quietly give us one a season to see the place evolve.

Or de-volve, amirite, guys?

Guys?

Guys?

Side note - the new Alan Ball show, HERE AND NOW, uses "Anyone Who Knows What Love Is" in its trailer.

It's disorienting to say the least.

home taping is killing music

I like the running theme of that one particular song constantly showing up throughout the seasons.

My guess is that if there is a power outage in San Junipero, there's a backup generator that speeds up the clock of that world to 1 million years or something (as opposed to real time so relatives can visit).   In White Christmas, it was used for torture but I imagine in this scenario, it would give people more than enough time to enjoy "eternity".   That or there's a subteranian backup system somewhere.

We are all doomed.

Got back around to watching some more of this. Black Museum was pretty good, and having just seen Black Panther, confirms what I thought then - Letitia Wright can be, and should be, a star.

Also finished Playtest. That was the first ending where I was genuinely mystified by what happened. The multiple endings just made no sense.

Tried to watch Shut Up and Dance. As soon as the kid whips it out, I turned it off, went to Wikipedia, read a summary and yeah, that's one I won't watch ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

We are all doomed.

Uh... 

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

I'm actually genuinely sad about the whole bee situation. I hate the thought of those things dying out. Why couldn't it be the horrible and pointless wasps instead?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi View Post

Uh... 

Ohh thank god im tired of bees and their fucking attitude.

"Houston is burning. Will history blame me, or the bees?"

Finally caught up with everything.  This show really is a gift.  I think, despite everyone wanting tighter sci-fi and more thorough plotting sometimes, this show benefits from being a short anthology like this.  The emergence of overarching stories and tech worries me, actually.  I think I prefer it being all about some microcosm of a scenario.  Not a deep dive exactly, but an emotional dive into some peculiar future.  That and dark satire, of course.  It's just more fun this way.  Blocking people in real life, for instance, doesn't pass any sort of futurist standard for what might be real tech one day.  But let's do it anyway!  I've come to enjoy that aspect of it.  It's also more generous in not assuming this is a show by and for nerds who spend all their time talking about this stuff already. Rather it's about recontexualising stuff people take for granted about the present they woke up in and and can't really remember how they got there.  All for the good, if you ask me.

Anyway, a lot of suffering by simulated humans these days.  That's almost too regular.  I know that idea has a lot of potential but I kinda hope they get off that train.

So the show picked up its first ever acting nominations at the Emmys this year:

Best Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie - Leticia Wright, Black Museum
Best Actor in a Limited Series or Movie - Jesse Plemons, USS Callister

It also got best writing for Limited Series/Movie and Best TV Movie nominations for USS Callister; the same categories San Junipero won last year.
I know the Emmy nominations are weird and calculated to what they think they can win, but Supporting Actress? She's the main character in that story!
(02-28-2018, 01:57 AM)muzman Wrote:

Anyway, a lot of suffering by simulated humans these days.  That's almost too regular.  I know that idea has a lot of potential but I kinda hope they get off that train.

The ongoing stories about consciousness transference/identity are amazing.  I hope they continue down that path.
[Image: latest?cb=20130405010724]
(Today, 12:38 AM)flint Wrote: I know the Emmy nominations are weird and calculated to what they think they can win, but Supporting Actress? She's the main character in that story!

I'm sure I've talked about this before, but the Tonys are the only awards ceremony where a pre-existing board determines who can compete in what category before the nominations even go out. Wright probably thinks that because her character is "supporting" until the final moments of the narrative, she had a better shot in that category. And she was right!