Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraid uh noman View Post

I just cannot fathom how Tom Cruise and John Travolta...two successful, seemingly intelligent and sane people....could be so gung-ho about an organization that is so obviously just a bunch of goofy, crooked bullshit.

...I refuse to believe that they're so dense that they thought their audit sessions were anything more than a method to get dirt on them and leverage to keep em on a leash. "If you leave the church we'll tell the world that you've confessed your homosexuality to us and ruin you." If that's what's going on. I mean really, what the fuck.
They really think it's better for their public image to be so close to a nutty, greedy, evil cult than to be outed as gay? Who cares? It's not a bad thing and it would be nice to see them be honest with the public (and themselves) about who they really are. It really makes them look like pretty spineless cowards when you think about it. Unless they've got them on video confessing to child molestation or something that's actually horrible and evil and could get them thrown in jail. Which is such an awful thought.

A couple of years ago when Katie Holmes and Cruise were separated and on the road to divorce (provided he's really straight and the marriage was actually real) I was secretly wishing Cruise would leave the church to try and keep her. I don't think there's anything he could have done to improve his public image more than that..

Yeah, it's hard to understand what the hell pull it has on these two.  Don't get it and we'll probably never will.  When Katie Holmes basically got the hell out of there with basically nothing (child support) you know it had to be bad, and her dad is a lawyer.

AThe subject is utterly fascinating but, cinematically, did anyone else find this kinda lacking?

I'm a massive fan of Gibney's films and I thought the actual filmmaking paled in comparison to his previous films. Some parts were downright dull (in their direction/editing, no relation to content).

I mean "Mea Maxima Culpa" is infinitely more harrowing than this and yet I've watched it at least 4 times. I can't imagine re watching this anytime soon.

Maybe because I read the book...? This just didn't engage me like I thought it would.

You're not the only one.

From what I've heard, the book is the way to go in regards to this subject.

AIt's an awesome read. Any book that gets read front to back on my iPhone (iPads are expensive here so I don't have one) is undoubtedly engaging.
Quote:

I just cannot fathom how Tom Cruise and John Travolta...two successful, seemingly intelligent and sane people....could be so gung-ho about an organization that is so obviously just a bunch of goofy, crooked bullshit.

...I refuse to believe that they're so dense that they thought their audit sessions were anything more than a method to get dirt on them and leverage to keep em on a leash. "If you leave the church we'll tell the world that you've confessed your homosexuality to us and ruin you." If that's what's going on. I mean really, what the fuck.
They really think it's better for their public image to be so close to a nutty, greedy, evil cult than to be outed as gay? Who cares? It's not a bad thing and it would be nice to see them be honest with the public (and themselves) about who they really are. It really makes them look like pretty spineless cowards when you think about it. Unless they've got them on video confessing to child molestation or something that's actually horrible and evil and could get them thrown in jail. Which is such an awful thought.

A couple of years ago when Katie Holmes and Cruise were separated and on the road to divorce (provided he's really straight and the marriage was actually real) I was secretly wishing Cruise would leave the church to try and keep her. I don't think there's anything he could have done to improve his public image more than that..

Well I imagine it's hard to leave something you spent the last 20 years on. I mean to admit it's all been a lie for 20 years. Must be hard.

re: Cruise/Katie Holmes breakup...

Have Mimi Rogers or Nicole Kidman ever come out and talked about 'getting out'?

The documentary really makes me want to read the science fiction Hubbard wrote before he started the cult.  In a better timeline, this dude would have been writing the best episodes of The Twilight Zone instead of being the villain of a real life one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatherDude View Post

The documentary really makes me want to read the science fiction Hubbard wrote before he started the cult.  In a better timeline, this dude would have been writing the best episodes of The Twilight Zone instead of being the villain of a real life one.

ummmm, I don't know about that.....

AOut of curiosity, I made it through exactly one and one-third of Hubbard's "Mission Earth" novels before realizing that the books themselves were an argument against paying authors on a per word basis. Hubbard had nothing to say and he wanted to tell you all about it, at length.

The complete series is ten novels long.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reasor View Post

Out of curiosity, I made it through exactly one and one-third of Hubbard's "Mission Earth" novels before realizing that the books themselves were an argument against paying authors on a per word basis. Hubbard had nothing to say and he wanted to tell you all about it, at length.

The complete series is ten novels long.

But how many words is it ?

Big Grin

AOr worst episodes, whatever.

Vivian Kubrick (one of his daughters) is a known Scientologist, but she seems to have joined the cult more or less around her dad's death.  In this sad article, her sister says "I’m glad he didn’t live to see what happened."  Yipes.

A[quote name="VTRan" url="/community/t/152932/going-clear-scientology-hollywood-and-the-prison-of-belief/100#post_3870199"]

But how many words is it ?

Big Grin
[/quote]

Two shitloads. It is two shitloads of words long.
Please consider lending a hand if you can, or posting my gofundme link elsewhere in Social Media Land.

http://citizens.trouble.city/showthread.php?tid=162311&pid=4721386#pid4721386
Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRan View Post

re: Cruise/Katie Holmes breakup...

Have Mimi Rogers or Nicole Kidman ever come out and talked about 'getting out'?

http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/12/how-sci...ent-heard/

AI finally saw this last night.

"Hey, la-de-la, hey, la-de-hey! We stand tall!!!"

Fucking song's been stuck in my head all morning. I guess I better become a Scientologist now.
AI kinda wanna become a scientologist. Just to go in and see all of the wacky shit that goes on first hand. And then bail or get kicked out after a while. I could make another documentary! Who's with me?!
Quote:

I kinda wanna become a scientologist. Just to go in and see all of the wacky shit that goes on first hand. And then bail or get kicked out after a while. I could make another documentary! Who's with me?!

Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqODbP1T3nk

AWE STAND TALL!!!
AI volunteer but I'll need an extraction team.

And if the last few Mission Impossible movies are any indication it probably won't be no walk in the park escaping Tom Cruise..
AHave you watched the documentary? It's a pretty well-made horror flick.
AI haven't yet but I'm itching to. I've done extensive reading on the subject and well...if that doc shows anything wackier than what I've read it'll blow my mind..
AThere's a lady in it named Spanky. That's wacky.

That gala event they kept showing footage from reminded me a bit of the shindig Piper and David stumble upon in THEY LIVE.

AMolt, do you STAND TALL?!?!

Anything for LRH.

*Salutes*

I figured this thread would pick up again now that the doc is no longer an HBO exclusive.  Still really terrifying and well put together.  And maybe one of the better adaptations of a book.

The shit about grooming candidates to be Tom Cruise's new church-sanctioned girlfriend is just unreal.

AIt is kind of horrific that the church is basically a human trafficking ring that also refurbishes boats.

I was a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any weird sex stuff going on. What's the point of creating a cult if you don't establish a weird sex-stuff temple?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

I was a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any weird sex stuff going on. What's the point of creating a cult if you don't establish a weird sex-stuff temple?

"Every cult is started by a dude with a boner". One of the truest quotes and I know that little fellow that leads the place is up to some weird sex shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacknifeJohnny View Post

Hubbard was into all sorts of weird sex stuff. I don't remember if the doc mentions it but you should read up on his bizarre dalliances with Alester Crowley and sex magic. Miscavige appears to be mostly into weird power stuff, which is disappointing.

I might have been born yesterday sir, but I stayed up all night!

The doc definitely touches on Hubbard's relationship with Jack Parsons and his occult rituals.  The tiny bit they say about the guy is enough to guarantee that he could justify his own dedicated documentary.

Fuck my gossip sites.  I trust http://www.celebitchy.com/ for my news and they let me down.

The Scientology story which we published earlier today was a hoax which originated on a news site designed to mimic ABC News with a .co domain. We have removed the post and are sorry for the confusion.

http://www.celebitchy.com/478534/iggy_az...one_links/

ASock it to'em!

As much as it pains me to say this....this story is bullshit.

http://www.snopes.com/church-scientology-tax-exempt/

An article reporting that the Church of Scientology lost its tax-exempt status in March 2016 originated with fake news sites.

Aaw