Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief
AI just imagine John Travolta in full Terl makeup laughing manically.

Fooled me. Posted it to my Facebook page and everything....

ABendrix is the first man to spread misinformation on social media!

Bendrix, how could you?!

LET'S PUBLICLY SHAME HIM!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendrix View Post

Fooled me. Posted it to my Facebook page and everything....

I have some bad news about that "girl" you have been chatting up on Facebook.

AIs she a Scientologist?!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyawatchin Angel View Post

Fuck my gossip sites.  I trust http://www.celebitchy.com/ for my news and they let me down.

The Scientology story which we published earlier today was a hoax which originated on a news site designed to mimic ABC News with a .co domain. We have removed the post and are sorry for the confusion.

http://www.celebitchy.com/478534/iggy_az...one_links/

How can I trust gossip sites again Sad

AIt's easy!

Back in January, director Alex Gibney said he was "thinking about" a sequel to the doc.  I don't put any stock in it, but that the idea even crossed his mind says a lot about how much material this subject matter offers.  It is, sadly, an ongoing story.

It's not quite as dramatic as the big exposés but Ross and Carrie have been doing a really long series where they try to join Scientology.

You're not going to get the really good dirt on the Sea Org or whatever really, which you've already heard quite a bit about to be fair.  But it's a look at what it's like to just walk in the front door like you knew nothing at all about it-  just take the tests sign up for a few courses and meetings.

http://ohnopodcast.com/

Highlights include the bit where they get themselves invited to some little gathering and wander into the big Sea Org AGM by mistake, or the somewhat distressing course where they have to audit one another and you get a glimpse of the kind of, really, psychological torture that underpins the whole enterprise.

Mostly it just seems a bit creepy and sad, like a self help course with no attendees run by competitive high pressure sales people who aren't allowed to sleep.  They seem to fall about themselves at the faintest hint of genuineness when someone who isn't a repeat nutter, a troll or some kind of spy wanders into the place (only these two are kinda spies.  Certainly not genuine anyway).

ABC's 20/20 interviewed David Miscavige's dad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrevellozo View Post

My face throughout this film. And this is from someone who read the book (essential reading if you liked this).

I have a strong revulsion toward cults because my ex fiancée was raised in one (The Family International) and it messed her up (it ultimately caused every disconnect that led to the end of the relationship), so this is just utterly revolting to me.

Not going to sleep tonight, I think. Been a while since I've been this shaken by something.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Andrew, for years Ive been unable to remember some weird cult that was controversial during the 80s/90s here in Chile*...and you've just provided me with the answer.

Holy crap, i mean...when it was featured here in the news, it terrified me as a kid, yet I couldnt remember its name until now.

I dont know if to thank or curse you for this.

*And yet its not the craziest or most evil cult in chilean story, which speaks volumes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoken View Post

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

Andrew, for years Ive been unable to remember some weird cult that was controversial during the 80s/90s here in Chile*...and you've just provided me with the answer.

Holy crap, i mean...when it was featured here in the news, it terrified me as a kid, yet I couldnt remember its name until now.

I dont know if to thank or curse you for this.

*And yet its not the craziest or most evil cult in chilean story, which speaks volumes.

Oh yeah, they're all over Latin America. I've met members from Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay... It's beyond messed up, and I'm happy those people aren't part of my life anymore.

Quote:

Oh yeah, they're all over Latin America. I've met members from Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay... It's beyond messed up, and I'm happy those people aren't part of my life anymore.

Glad to hear that.

Jeebus, I still have nightmares when they showed on TV one of the leaflets/ads for that cult.

Also, their...amorous practices...holy shit.

AYep. Pretty much all the people I met from the group are messed up, sex-wise.

It's quite sad, especially with regard to the girls.
Quote:

Yep. Pretty much all the people I met from the group are messed up, sex-wise.

It's quite sad, especially with regard to the girls.

Yeah, absolutely horrible.

Kinda scary how the memories hit me once the name clicked.

I saw Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie tonight. It makes a really nice companion piece to Going Clear. Going Clear is the more essential documentary if you want to get a full idea of scientology's history and practices, but Louis Theroux manages to get a more human, everyday view of the scientology mindset, like he always does in his documentaries. The doc is clearly restricted by the limitations of what they can do without getting sued on one hand, and not repeating Going Clear on the other, but it's strength lies in finding a way between these restrictions.

Having actors reenact interviews and incidents with David Miscavige and Tom Cruise sounds like bad History Channel material, but by showing the actors getting trained in the ways and mindset of scientology by defector and former scientology "fix it man" Marty Rathbun actually gives very clear insight into the behavior of the real scientologists Louis encounters. Louis also gets points for not letting Rathbun off easy. He may have left the church and have been continually harassed by scientologists, he also was responsible for these exact actions when he was still in the organisation and Louis continues to ask Rathbun about this, even when Rathbun clearly wants to steer the conversation the other way.

The film suffers a bit from not having a very satisfying ending, but it's very appropriate in showing that no matter what you do, scientology will continue to badger you any way they can and exposes how petty and misguided their followers actually are.

Quote:

RadarOnline.com can reveal that actor Jason Lee and his wife Ceren have turned their backs on the religion they once championed alongside Tom Cruise, Kirstie Alley and other diehard celebrity Scientologists.

“We don’t practice Scientology, and that we aren’t particularly interested in opening religious centers in general, we have no plans to open a Scientology center,” Lee confessed to The Dentonite, a blog covering issues in Denton, Texas.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/ja...ientology/

While I found the documentary fascinating, I must admit I only made it about 3/4 of the way through.  At some point, was there a discussion about how Scientology managed to get the U.S. to drop the dispute over its classification as a tax exempt entity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

While I found the documentary fascinating, I must admit I only made it about 3/4 of the way through.  At some point, was there a discussion about how Scientology managed to get the U.S. to drop the dispute over its classification as a tax exempt entity?

That was like half the doc.

A[quote name="Schwartz" url="/community/t/152932/going-clear-scientology-hollywood-and-the-prison-of-belief/150#post_4186185"]
That was like half the doc.
[/quote]

Gonna have to finish it.
I thought starting a whole new thread for would be a waste of a perfectly good, albeit old, thread.

XenuTV is finally here....

I'm a little surprised that it took them this long to jump on the televangelist scam wagon.

Scientology Poised to Launch TV Network
I used to be with "it", but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't "it", and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me. -Grandpa Simpson
If they do a Battlefield Earth TV series, I may have to sign up.
That'll kill Peak TV.
Introducing the Danny Masterton Show! We really wanted Leah Remini, but she's being a subversive person with her documentary, and working with Kevin James again to just rub it in our face.