Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LEGENDS OF TOMORROW (The CW)

Wasn't there a comic scene of Central City on fire, and  Captain Cold takes the time to save a statue...of The Flash? For no other reason than respect? Kind of wish a scene like that had happened in the future episode, then again they were in  Star City...

Even with all the flashbacks, this ep made Rip Hunter even more unlikeble and incompetent for me.

Ha. Rip's incompetence is actually what I like about the character. He's completely out of his depth, he's terrible with time travel (i.e giving Savage details about his wife and child for the future), he lies to the team about why he's recruiting them and is forced to quickly tell them the truth, and continually makes the wrong decision about which team members to send where. It reminds me of a tabletop gaming scenario I wrote in college where a group of people were recruited to journey through time by the twelfth incarnation of a Time Lord calling himself "The Doctor", only for them to later discover that he was a space station janitor from the year 4027 who'd stolen the vehicle from the real Doctor and was actually a complete buffoon who didn't know what the hell he was doing.

I snorted when one of the Time Pirates called him the "Legendary" Rip Hunter.

Feel really bad about Mick. He, Cold and Sara have great chemistry together.

Just found out that next week's episode is directed by Joe Dante. Awesome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Ha. Rip's incompetence is actually what I like about the character. He's completely out of his depth, he's terrible with time travel (i.e giving Savage details about his wife and child for the future), he lies to the team about why he's recruiting them and is forced to quickly tell them the truth, and continually makes the wrong decision about which team members to send where. It reminds me of a tabletop gaming scenario I wrote in college where a group of people were recruited to journey through time by the twelfth incarnation of a Time Lord calling himself "The Doctor", only for them to later discover that he was a space station janitor from the year 4027 who'd stolen the vehicle from the real Doctor and was actually a complete buffoon who didn't know what the hell he was doing.

Heh, the show really does have the vibe of a DnD session where Rip is a very frustrated DM constantly trying to keep the players on the rails of the campaign he's planned and doing a terrible job of it.  And that sounds like a pretty fun scenario, actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSaxon View Post

Just found out that next week's episode is directed by Joe Dante. Awesome!

Sweeeeet!

Yeah, that was a super fun sci-fi ep.  Time Pirates and Space Rangers!  So dorky and entertaining.  Even Kendra wasn't too bad.

I'm holding off on being sad for Mick because I'm like 99% sure that was a fake-out.

And even though I technically SHOULD be pissed by Rip Hunter's incompetence and general shitty attitude (MICK LEAVING IS HIS FAULT!) I just can't seem to be annoyed by him the way Gustin's Allen or Amell's Queen annoy me.  I think it's residual Rory-love from Doctor Who.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dent6084 View Post

Heh, the show really does have the vibe of a DnD session where Rip is a very frustrated DM constantly trying to keep the players on the rails of the campaign he's planned and doing a terrible job of it.  And that sounds like a pretty fun scenario, actually.

I'd imagine these guys will get around to covering this show.

-"You're not going insane - you're going sane in a crazy world!"
-The Tick

It's interesting that the writers are so prepared to change the line-up of characters. Hawkman was a nothing character, and so we didn't really care about his demise. We know Heatwave quite a bit more (and we're effectively seeing his departure via Captain Cold who is an audience favorite, and so it's a lot more hard-hitting). A recent interview with the actor who played Connor Hawke suggests that the writing team want to cycle team-members in and out of the show, leaving the possibility of new additions. I've seen some people suggest John Constantine join but I think that would be a terrible idea (even though I really like the character and actor) as he's even less suited to being part of a time-travelling team than Heatwave (and I get the feeling that the Waverider is a no-smoking vehicle). Could someone like Jonah Hex join the group? Could be interesting.

As long as they don't cycle Snart and Sara, i've fine with a Roster change.

Jonah Hex seems like a perfect character for this show.  Do a western episode to introduce him like Justice League Unlimited did.  Shit writes itself.

How do the rights work with Supergirl on CBS?  Been getting into that and actually loving it more than Flash or Arrow.  Mostly because Melissa Benoist is a much better actor than Gustin and Amell combined. Because Martian Manhunter is on there and AWESOME and would also work fantastically on this show.

I really couldn't get into that Supergirl show, despite how good the lead actress is.

Just stumbled upon this article and I wonder if this is still valid, as it's a few months old. The show's too expensive to get a second season?! C'mon CW, stump up the cash!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codename View Post

How do the rights work with Supergirl on CBS?  Been getting into that and actually loving it more than Flash or Arrow.  Mostly because Melissa Benoist is a much better actor than Gustin and Amell combined. Because Martian Manhunter is on there and AWESOME and would also work fantastically on this show.

Well the Flash is going to be on Supergirl for the Mar. 26 episode, and she was already seen briefly on the Flash when they entered the portal to Earth 2 among the quick menagerie of multiverse visions.

If DC/CW/WB reeeeeeeally wanted to, they could cross over the movies and the shows via the multiverse.  Different actors playing the same characters at the same time?  No problem, MULTIVERSE!

Another probable candidate for cycling onto LoT:  Vixen, who just popped up on Arrow recently.

Snart steals the show.  Again.

I can't believe Ray didn't fuck up!  Well ... kind of.

Rip must be the worst Time Master in history.  Dude's incompetence is staggering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlord View Post

Rip must be the worst Time Master in history.  Dude's incompetence is staggering.

Yeah, "Time Master" seems like it's a bit of a step too far to apply to Rip.  Maybe they have a ranking system where there's a slightly more fitting monikor to go with his station in the pecking order?  Like, I dunno . . . Rip Hunter: Time Dude.

I'd say Time Captain, but even that is stretching it.  Rip Hunter: Apple Genius Bar Employee.  Rip Hunter: Barista... wait, we've already got one of those.

AI always thought at some point they were going to recruit Deadshot and freejack him from that roof explosion. If there's an open roster spot or two pick him up alongside Tatsu.

Hell, why bother risking Hawkgirl dying. Just end every ep with Deadshot delaying Randall Vandal with a perfect 360 no scope, the gang going lol, and them all eating bbq ribs and playing Mario Kart.

Only complaint from the latest ep is needless romance shit. CW writers are crap at it, just stop it.

I completely blanked on the pointless romance.  If they extend that to a love triangle with Jax my eyes will roll so hard my retinas might detach.

Vixen would be a great choice too.  I watched the episode of Arrow with her in and she was pretty much the only good thing in it.

As a side-note.  I thought Arrow was bad in Season 2.  My GAWD that show has gone even more downhill.  I used to like Felicity as a character but I spent the whole episode wishing she'd fall down a flight of stairs.  What the hell happened?

Next week we get Savage again...meh.  It's funny that the last two episodes were probably their best and featured NO Savage whatsoever.

Yeah, seeing as the people behind the Arrowverse are obviously massive fans of Doctor Who (and I'm not just talking about Arthur Darvill here, but you've got both John Barrowman and Alex Kingston over in Arrow), I kind of wish they'd gone with a more Doctor Whoy season arc where it's maybe more of a mystery than just one villain against the team constantly. This show seems to work best when it's essentially Star Trek in time, as far as I can see.

You get a opportunity for time travel and where do you go? The 1980s...1970s...and 1950s.  Y.A.W.N.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smugbug View Post

You get a opportunity for time travel and where do you go? The 1980s...1970s...and 1950s.  Y.A.W.N.

Sadly, the limitations of a TV budget play into where our heroes go.

I love the idea of Savage making a good tuna casserole.

I liked what they did with the 50s setting, although they really should have taken the budding romance between Lotz and blonde nurse much, much further than they did.  The thought of Vandal Savage making a tuna casserole ... lmao.  Of course, they once again had Savage on the ropes after blasting him out of a building and just leave for no reason.

So Sara is heading back to Namba Parbat next ep.

That's the place near Star City that sells chicken right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix View Post

So Sara is heading back to Namba Parbat next ep.

That's the place near Star City that sells chicken right?

Yep, it's a really good Indian food joint out on the edge of the 'burbs.  Got a big rock quarry in the back.

Quote:

The thought of Vandal Savage making a tuna casserole ... lmao.  

The pay-off in the next scene of Ray happily eating it made me chuckle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smugbug View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headless Fett View Post

Sadly, the limitations of a TV budget play into where our heroes go.

I hope they get the chance to visit one of my favorite periods of American history - the 1920's. Bonus points if they end up in Chicago.

I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that we never get to see Chronos' face. Will he somehow turn out to be someone we know?

Quote:

So Stein and Jax just forget the diner conversation they'd just shared about racism/sexism in the fifties not even five minutes ago? Stein's all like, "interrogate the girl for some info," and Jax is all like "or I could just chat her up." And then he sits down opposite the mourning cheerleader, at noon in a crowded diner, like he's completely forgotten what happened when young black men were seen talking to young white women in this era.

Maybe the prospect of imminent lynching (of which he was previously aware) doesn't really phase him. Or maybe the script really is paying this little attention to detail, even when it took pains to establish those details in the first place.

Weren't you just talking about this? And he's plainly flirting with her. And she's letting him. Never mind that she was literally crying into her milkshake barely a minute ago. This is a mess and I keep needing to step away.

The shop keep didn't immediately toss out the 'trouble-making' black man who chose to escalate a verbal conflict with the thread of a physical one? And the bullies actually backed down and left? What is this magical revisionist paradise? And how far back in time does the magic go?

Taken from another site's thread.  I gotta say that I agree.  If they're going to make an episode set in such a racist time and place, then they shouldn't treat it with such kid gloves.  I feel like the house renter lady would've outright refused Ray and Kendra's patronage. The soiree scene at Savage's house was very tame as well.  Its like they were afraid to ruffle too many feathers.

Yes racism sucks, but the showmaker's sugarcoating was a bit much.  I mean, this ain't a kids show, they even had a lesbian subplot.

On a related note, since I never watch Arrow except for the occasional crossover with the Flash or whenever Constantine is gonna show up, I just found out that Sara is into girls.  That through line was handled better than the race issue, if only cuz it was kept on the down low.

I dunno man, I still like the show overall.  What do y'all think?

The quote you've posted isn't wrong, and I'm not going to excuse this show for sugar-coating racism during the period, but, at the same time, it's a time-travelling superhero show with mutated bat people and a fairly light comic-book tone. Perhaps I'm being too lenient with Legends Of Tomorrow but the fact that they bothered to highlight the racial prejudice at all was enough to get a gold star from me, as they could have easily just glossed over it completely. As it is, I'm sure there's a time-travelling show that could explore the racial issues of 1950's America in much greater depth, but I'm not entirely sure that the jaunty, Saturday morning cartoon adventures of Captain Cold, Hawkgirl, The Atom, Black Canary, Firestorm and Rip Hunter is that show.

Oh I agree, which is why I found those scenes frustrating to watch.  Near the end where the sheriff was being boss hog against Jax and knocked him out I thought, ok yeah, now it feels real, when he was just really delivering another guinea pig to Savage.  Bahgawdkang!

I feel like a Marvel show would tackle these issues better, even on Agents of SHIELD.  Seems like the Arrowverse wants to be all suave and dramatic, and also be a live action cartoon.  It doesn't always work.  Especially Supergirl.

This conversation has made me want to revisit Quantum Leap; a show I've not seen in ages but seem to remember tackling important topics like this during several episodes. Hmmmm. To Netflix!

Quote:

I've seen some people suggest John Constantine join

How would you tell Constantine and Hunter apart?

The cigarette smoke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TB Rhine View Post

How would you tell Constantine and Hunter apart?

Their demeanor, voice, and body language are entirely different.  Oh and he's blonde and does magic.

They're both blonde and British, about the same age and build, with (essentially) magical powers. I guess Inspector Spacetime does have facial hair, though.

I didn't think much about the racism sugar coating.  I was too distracted by cheesy mutant hawkpeople.

It was fun. A total B-movie experience which I think is what they were going for.  Although not a lot about it seemed to scream Joe Dante.  Lots and lots of dutch angles though.

Quote:

I liked what they did with the 50s setting, although they really should have taken the budding romance between Lotz and blonde nurse much, much further than they did.

Hey, this is a family show.