Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Society, Pop Culture, and the Cacophony of Social Media
In that case, in the absence of "verification," the way you'd know a critic was legit due to the fact a newspaper published them, Google exists. Like her academic background is on Contrapoints' Wikipedia, which I can find in about five seconds. Furthermore, the academic background is part of what sets her apart.

I just don't know why you think they should have to defend themselves if they're making a good argument. If Dan Olson is able to demonstrate through traditional means of articulating an idea and demonstrating that idea with visual evidence, why is he less legitimate than someone writing for a newspaper or a bigger website?

Equating it to politics seems a little silly, too. Ben Shapiro's an obvious clown, but I think if you're going to be discussing politics, credentials matter more than they do when, you're know, talking about culture, which has always tried to be a little more egalitarian in its impulses.
home taping is killing music
I mean, it’s free content. What was Nick’s background when he started CHUD?
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I don’t know why you automatically jumped to the “Your a bad man” argument and now I have to justify why I don’t search people on Google before I watch something that someone recommends to watch in this very thread.

It’s already hard enough to keep up with social politics as it is. I work shift work and live on 10 acres. When I’m not at work I’m taking care of my family. Then I’m in class for night school. And when I’m not doing that my wife and I spend our free time fundraising for the Cancer Centre where she was treated. Next thing I know I’m back at work again. I don’t have time to devout to the consumption of culture like most people who post on this board have.

I asked a question about someone’s credentials and I was immediately met with snark about it. I’m not a bad person.

Jeff Sneider has spent the whole afternoon bragging on Twitter that he’s the most important person in Hollywood. It’s been weird.
"I'd rather have hope...than nothing at all."
-Illyana Rasputin, X-Men: Omega #1

"But the public, knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive."
-Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

Twitter: @BartLBishop
I'm borderline addicted to 'Contrapoints'.  She pulls off the trick of dissecting modern culture insanity without it ever feeling like an all caps lecture.  The shitty part is when the YouTube algorithm spits ten alt-right videos at myself afterwards.

Quote:bartleby_scriven

Jeff Sneider has spent the whole afternoon bragging on Twitter that he’s the most important person in Hollywood. It’s been weird.

I saw that cross my feed.  Had zero idea who they were.  Muted them anyway.
Is boone daniels crying "bigotry!" because people don't like the Youtubers he follows? Must be Thursday!

In all seriousness, though: yeah, I'm not buying the notion that people should have to prove their bona fides, or even that having so much formal education in such-and-such necessarily makes you a more interesting/worthwhile critical voice (or, at least, it's no substitute for all the other important elements thereof.)

But at the same time, the thing that catartik is talking about is, I feel, a real issue with a fair majority of Internet culture critics that I'm familiar with (I can't speak to its applicability to this person specifically.) The evolution of social web cloud media thinkoblog tweetosphere cultural-analysis has, historically, been on a course that has further and further emphasized entertainment over content the more and more commercial interests got involved and set all these semi-quasi-professional-tier critics/journalists/etc. in competition with each other. Thankfully, content still happens, and there are indeed some jewels in with all the junk - but it's a little exhausting having to wade through all the quippy posturing, obligatory memesheeping, and/or terrible skits to get to the actual meat - even moreso when it's with someone who otherwise feels like they might really have something worthwhile to say.
People get advanced degrees to yell about pop culture on YouTube? And here I thought I was wasting my MA.
You're talking about Peter Coffin there, for me. He's a guy who makes a good argument, usually. But his comedy schtick is really annoying and I generally wish it'd just get out of the way.

The expertise argument is always a tough one at the best of times. Plus there's always the fact that people are just going to ignore it or dismiss it by association. ie PZ Myers is an actual evolutionary biologist but whenever he takes on someone like Jordon Peterson or Gad Saad or Sam Harris on biology grounds it becomes "Well, he's an SJW evolutionary biologist" instead. Which he is, but whither expertise.

Backing up a bit to dangerous podcasts: It's interesting people seem to have latched on to "objectifing black men" as the bad thing in all that. The part where they were saying "I don't like black men that pretend to be white", I like a basketball player/gangsta type who talks street slang, seemed like the bigger can of worms to me (and I realise there's a degree of 'comedy brackets' around all of it)
Catarik, I'm sorry. I certainly didn't mean for you to take "you're a bad man" from my posts. When I ask questions like that, it's meant to provoke discussion, not necessarily come down one way or the other on the subject. Calling your statement dumb was uncalled for, though.

And commo, nothing in my posts suggested that caterik was being a bigot. Rather, when you read about or consider how any underrepresented minority - women, people of color, LGBT folks - interacts with an online audience, it's more common that they're expected to "show their work" or "prove their credentials" more than males in similar fields are. So I was asking questions to illustrate a double standard.

Anyway, no one should have to prove their credentials but, at the same time, having credentials or more than a passing familiarity with the field gives you more tools with which to make your argument. To cycle back to Dan Olson, the reason his stuff works is because he's a professional in the film industry, so he has an affinity with the basic techniques he's describing. And Contrapoints is able to use her academic background in the liberal arts/philosophy to translate complex concepts to a wide audience.

Which is ultimately what I think academics should be doing more of, but that's a different discussion!

Caterik, I really am sorry.
home taping is killing music
(09-20-2018, 06:48 PM)muzman Wrote: Backing up a bit to dangerous podcasts: It's interesting people seem to have latched on to "objectifing black men" as the bad thing in all that. The part where they were saying "I don't like black men that pretend to be white", I like a basketball player/gangsta type who talks street slang, seemed like the bigger can of worms to me (and I realise there's a degree of 'comedy brackets' around all of it)
Basically my thoughts as well.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina