Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Western Society, Pop Culture, and the Cacophony of Social Media
(09-13-2019, 08:54 AM)Reasor Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 11:48 AM)waaaaaaaalt Wrote: https://arcdigital.media/contrapoints-an...ac97f330d4

Coming to the conversation late, but that article's a terrific introduction to trans community online drama for the outsider.

I think what it comes down to is this:

1. Marginalized people finally have some leverage thanks to social media and are willing to use it to protect themselves.

2. People are terrified.  We legit live in a world where it's not even certain that basic human rights are guaranteed anymore.  And from that perspective, I totally get why some people freak the fuck out.

(09-13-2019, 08:34 AM)MichaelM Wrote: So has he been fired? That Variety story horrified me. To echo posts above: I can't believe he was hired. Does no one at SNL know how to Google...anything?

Yeah but he's white and some people like him so.....
"Why did she do it?"
"Why are you the fucking Police?"

(09-13-2019, 08:13 AM)ska oreo Wrote: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/shane-g...203334216/

And it wasn’t even in the context of a joke. Basically two fuckboy comedians bitching about Chinatown and Gillis repeatedly used a Chinese slur.

I am so done with white guys who think they can make a career out of being “edgy.”

BUT does Dave Chapelle have the right? Vice says no.....how say you?

(09-13-2019, 08:34 AM)MichaelM Wrote: So has he been fired? That Variety story horrified me. To echo posts above: I can't believe he was hired. Does no one at SNL know how to Google...anything?
Ohh that's nothing. I mean honestly there is enough material that a guy like him can never have a network gig. I don't know why he even auditioned for SNL. I was waiting but like I at least thought he would make it a week before they got him.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
Dave Chapelle is an interesting case because he's made his bones on social commentary. He gets away with a large percentage of his jokes because he tends to making a point about society at large rather than simply being edgy for edgy sake. Regardless of how you might feel about Chapelle, dude is a far better comedian than this asshat.
"Why did she do it?"

Also, like, Dave Chappelle isn't a (jargon alert) cis straight white guy enjoying the privileges of being coded as cis/straight/white/male.
home taping is killing music
(09-13-2019, 12:57 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Also, like, Dave Chappelle isn't a (jargon alert) cis straight white guy enjoying the privileges of being coded as cis/straight/white/male.

I mean, Chappelle is privileged though in a way that rich guys tend to be. Which makes the whole thing with the transgendered jokes  more frustrating when you consider the reasons why he left his own show in the first place.
"Why did she do it?"

(09-13-2019, 12:53 PM)ska oreo Wrote: Dave Chapelle is an interesting case because he's made his bones on social commentary. He gets away with a large percentage of his jokes because he tends to making a point about society at large rather than simply being edgy for edgy sake. Regardless of how you might feel about Chapelle, dude is a far better comedian than this asshat.

Ohh I put Chapelle in the top 10 comics of all time but does that excuse him screaming fa***t and doing the mock Chinese accent? I mean im really not going to be outraged about anything in comedy but if you are going to be then you can't give someone a pass because you think they are funnier or because you agree with their stances sometimes. If anything wouldn't that make it worse?

(09-13-2019, 12:57 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Also, like, Dave Chappelle isn't a (jargon alert) cis straight white guy enjoying the privileges of being coded as cis/straight/white/male.

Right he is insanely rich and famous and has a HUGE audience, bigger than Gillis has or will ever have and apparently gets to say whatever he wants. Because even though there were some articles written about him Netflix didn't refuse to work with him again.
“I call upon you to stop this musical now,” she said to the board. “You tear a community apart if you don’t.” -Prachi Ruina                                                            
(09-13-2019, 01:00 PM)ska oreo Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 12:57 PM)boone daniels Wrote: Also, like, Dave Chappelle isn't a (jargon alert) cis straight white guy enjoying the privileges of being coded as cis/straight/white/male.

I mean, Chappelle is privileged though in a way that rich guys tend to be. Which makes the whole thing with the transgendered jokes  more frustrating when you consider the reasons why he left his own show in the first place.

He is - I was just pointing out one of the wrinkles in all of this/speaking to waaaaaaalt's question about "why can Chappelle say it?"

I also think that privilege is why Gillis felt he could make those kind of jokes in the first place, even in 2018.
home taping is killing music
The supreme irony of this SNL situation is that just hours before they were touting that with Bowen Yang they had hired their first Asian-American full-time cast member hooray! And it only took them 45 years! Yang is also one of their only openly gay cast members.

And then it turned out that Shane Gillis likes to throw around some very specific racial and homophobic slurs.
(09-13-2019, 01:29 PM)Dent6084 Wrote: The supreme irony of this SNL situation is that just hours before they were touting that with Bowen Yang they had hired their first Asian-American full-time cast member hooray! And it only took them 45 years! Yang is also one of their only openly gay cast members.

And then it turned out that Shane Gillis likes to throw around some very specific racial and homophobic slurs.

Yeah like 1 of the articles pointed that out. But that is the sad part, SNL will waste him. Sasheer Zamata was kind of a big deal when she was hired and now.....