Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DICK TRACY and this Weird TV Special

Any fans of Warren Beatty's 1990 Dick Tracy?

He's been promising a sequel these past few years and I heard rumors of a Dick Tracy TV Special with Beatty reprising the role but thought it was bunk.

Until I finally saw it. And it's just odd. Presumably this aired only once on TV in 2010 so Beatty could keep the rights to the Dick Tracy character.

Think we'll ever see this "sequel"? Or will we not see Tracy back on the big screen (or small screen) until Beatty passes away. It's unfortunate with the recent comic book movie boom that the Dick Tracy world hasn't been given its chance again.

APresented by Apple

Smartwatch synergy and callbacks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_32 View Post

Any fans of Warren Beatty's 1990 Dick Tracy?

He's been promising a sequel these past few years and I heard rumors of a Dick Tracy TV Special with Beatty reprising the role but thought it was bunk.

Until I finally saw it. And it's just odd. Presumably this aired only once on TV in 2010 so Beatty could keep the rights to the Dick Tracy character.

Think we'll ever see this "sequel"? Or will we not see Tracy back on the big screen (or small screen) until Beatty passes away. It's unfortunate with the recent comic book movie boom that the Dick Tracy world hasn't been given its chance again.

The studios seem to be scared of period underworld films (the disaster of GANGSTER SQUAD didn't help matters) so I wouldn't hold my breath for a Dick Tracy sequel. It seems to me that even the 1990 film didn't do as well as expected. Beatty had a surge of interest five years ago - enough to put together that awful TV special - but he's in post-production on his Howard Hughes project, and who knows when he'll get it together to direct another movie.

I like the 1990 version, but it always seemed like a one-and-done. The highly stylized milieu, huge cast of Hollywood stars, scores of villains being killed off - I just couldn't see Beatty topping it or bringing anything new to the table. A sequel would've seemed totally redundant (and I'm sure that, eventually, Beatty realized this).

I think I'll spend the remainder of my post highly recommending the four Dick Tracy programmers that were done for RKO Pictures in the '40s. These are very entertaining B movies with brisk pacing, over-the-top villains, and plenty of action. And DICK TRACY MEETS GRUESOME, starring the incomparable Boris Karloff? Priceless.

AKarloff was born to play a DT villain.