Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totoro is a friend to children ...

Well, it's been about ten years since I started this project.  I've had the cabinet sanded at least five years.  I went with the Totoro theme after my daughter was born:

Hoping to get this done before July - been plowing ahead through spring break with the designs and getting materials together.  Pretty happy how it's going though the spray paint can be a pain in the ass color-wise compared to using an air-brush.

AW YEA

Day 3 of painting:

Got into a bind where some of the yellow paint was peeling before it dried, so I had to spray free-hand to cover the mistakes.  Will take all night to dry - the same thing happened with the light blue where I got some fingerprints on it ... sprayed a patch on and waited 12 hours or so before sanding.  Results could have been a lot worse.  Happy with how the blue meets the yellow lines coming out of the lines - unlike the rest of the colors, it won't be corrected with outlining.

Day 4:  There's a couple places where wet paint got stuck on to stencils, making big ugly scars that I had to paint freehand.  It gives those patches a nice weathered look once it solidifies under a final coat of clear acrylic medium, but that's not really what I'm going for.  It's supposed to be totally flat so it looks like a "real" arcade cabinet - this will end up looking more more like a mural.  What I'll do with the other side is just do one stencil a day so that I run into less problems - it will make the other side take two weeks, but will be easier to pace myself since I won't be on break.

Will hit up the blacks with a paint pen on Sunday and wait until Tuesday to put the clear coat on ... then will probably have to wait another two days before I flip it onto some cinderblocks to get the other side.

It's happening!

Couldn't paint today so I reworked the other side a bit.  Found this still and just kinda played with it:

Day 5

Finished the left hand side.  It's beginning to sink in what a giant pain in the ass it is to paint 40 or so square feet with this level of detail using materials that afford practically zero mistakes.

Holy crap, dude. This looks really awesome!

AWESOME.

Looking great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

Finished the left hand side.  It's beginning to sink in what a giant pain in the ass it is to paint 40 or so square feet with this level of detail using materials that afford practically zero mistakes.

It looks fantastic. I should show this to my kids so they make my ex-wife (artist) crazy by begging her to do one for them.

Put a top coat of liquitex clear acrylic with a giant brush and it was a total disaster - some of the black paint layered onto the less porous parts reactivated and smeared everything to shit.  Spent all night scraping up smudges with my thumb nail - the good news is it's dried rock-solid and kind of gave it a neat vintage-looking weathering, and you could fire a tank shell at it now.  The bad news is that the experience practically sent me to the loony bin - I don't even wish that type of thing on your ex-wife.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendellEverett View Post

The bad news is that the experience practically sent me to the loony bin - I don't even wish that type of thing on your ex-wife.

I don't want her to literally go crazy....I just want her to be annoyed. It's the small, petty things that make life worth living.

Just joking around - although I will say the main reason I'm making this is so kids won't be bored to tears when their parents come over to see the baby.  I have a bunch of PS+ games on the PS3 I haven't touched since I got the PS4 - and I just found out  about  2013's Dragon's Crown.  I'm glad that the PS3 is going to get a second life as an outside sound system / arcade machine.  Honestly though, I feel a little worn out - I might shelve this project until July or so until I have another break from work, but I'll post again when I do the other side.

BTW here's what it looks like with the top coat, it brings out the black but also bled a lot of lines and made some of the colors turn a lot muddier.  What I'll do next time is spray the color layers, brush on the clear coat, and then put on the black with Montana pens.  I think doing it that way will actually look a lot more professional, even if it means the black lines will probably get nasty after 5/10 year.  I'm kinda glad I'm keeping this since I'd feel weird doing pro work that has a ton of damage control.  If you get your nose up to it it looks pretty funky.