Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smugbug Art

Hey! No longer just a thread about my Patreon page. Now, about what art I throw out of my head.

Here is a visual list of the tribute portraits I've done...so far.  I'll be adding more when time allows, of both those who've passed on and those who still grace us with their creative presence.

Glen Frey

Alan Rickman

Abe Vigoda

David Bowie

Prince

I'll be adding more...I also allow my Patreon supporters to download high res files of the art. Just a thought.

Starting TODAY, there is a special discount code for you Chewers at my INPRNT shop. It'll be for five days!  Its good for ANY order.

The code:

A7CNDO

Link to my shop:

INPRNT | Studio Smugbug

You know what would be THE BEST?  If I could get that Prince one on velvet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post

You know what would be THE BEST?  If I could get that Prince one on velvet.

I betcha that could be done. Something else I've been looking into, metal. Printing on metal. The metal prints I've seen are GORGEOUS.

I HAVE A FAVOR TO ASK!!!

Over at Threadless, there is a Heavy Metal Cover Challenge happening.

Get the basics here: Heavy Metal! Design a Heavy Metal magazine cover. | Threadless 

And they've extended the deadline to submit to May 11.  Meanwhile, I've submitted four designs, three of which are up and ready to vote on NOW.  Each design needs a minimum amount of votes to be able to move forward. Thats really all I ask for. Also, if you submit a design or designs, let me know and I'll return the favor.

Here's my Threadless page:  Threadless | @smugbug

Here are the designs I have up now.

Here's the latest and is awaiting approval:

There are some fabulous work/designs over there, too! Vote on 'em when you see 'em!  I really do have a dream to someday, have work in Heavy Metal. Ever since I was a kid when I got my first issue, been a dream of mine. I know its not what it use to be (especially the cover rates), but they are in the works of making a new comeback (with a new Editor-in-Chief); here's hoping they get back to being the great magazine they once were!

Added one more (awaiting approval at the moment), just cuz.

And just one more and I'm going to now sit and wait....

* Wanted to say something here thats rather important. I normally don't enter these sorts of challenges. When I see any of these, first thing I do is read the "fine print" of the entry rules. Just about all of them have some scary stuff contained. Usually around the arena of "such-and-such will own the rights to the work and can do whatever they please with it....blah blah blah..."  Many of these challenges are no better than spec work (where you blindly submit work to whatever company and if they use it, they pay you; or if they use it, they WON'T pay you. Basically free work for the company! ).

But I'm in the middle of a creative hole or burnout and need something to do that'll kick my ass into wanting to be creative. So, I enter. Plus, its Heavy Metal. And if the only result of this challenge is they become familiar with my work, I'm okay with that.

I've signed onto WyzAnt as a "expert educator", i.e., tutor. One on one, in person or online. I don't have to go through WyzAnt, but if anything, its a online site with all my qualifications and contact information.

Tutor Available - Arts - PatriciaS, Studio Smugbug | WyzAnt

New 10% discount at my INPRNT shop. Use code: 9C4I3YVF  

Good to May 21.

I just updated the shop with the new variation of "Sun Devil":

wwwwwow

Get her while she's hot! (see what I did there?)

BTW,  I'm also on ello and I really like that place: ello.co/smugbug

Here's a fun thing to do this week: go on Instagram or Facebook and search via the #artvsartist tag. You'll see a lot of artists; lots of really cool work.

Here's what I did for it:

Putting some watercolors up for sale, today. Later, will be putting some ink work.

Watercolors of bunnies. A set of two and a lone, galloping bunny. 9x12, 140lb watercolor paper. Watercolor, color pencil.

$77, includes shipping. (Work will be shipped flat. Protected by plastic and cardboard)

$155 for the pair, plus shipping (which should be no more than $7.70).  Contact me, here and payment accepted via Paypal.

While sorting through stacks of old sketches and doodles, came upon this one. Done around or before 2004....

A[quote name="smugbug" url="/community/t/153553/smugbug-art#post_4060269"]I HAVE A FAVOR TO ASK!!!

Over at Threadless, there is a Heavy Metal Cover Challenge happening. ...
[/quote]

Sorry I missed this like a dopey buffoon Smug, do you know when they announce the winners?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucho View Post

Sorry I missed this like a dopey buffoon Smug, do you know when they announce the winners?

Nah, I wish it was more clear as to the timeline for the announcements, too! All it says is, "SOON!"

And no worries - it was just a fun challenge and I'm super satisfied that at least, one of my designs stayed within the top category.

When I complete a project or projects, I always spend a bit of free time painting/sketching up personal pieces. Yesterday, I began work on The Three and Four Musketeers (1973, 1974). Since I adore those movies. First up, Oliver Reed as Athos....

A[quote name="smugbug" url="/community/t/153553/smugbug-art/30#post_4069354"]While sorting through stacks of old sketches and doodles, came upon this one. Done around or before 2004....

[/quote]
That is lovely.
Quote:

Originally Posted by smugbug View Post

When I complete a project or projects, I always spend a bit of free time painting/sketching up personal pieces. Yesterday, I began work on The Three and Four Musketeers (1973, 1974). Since I adore those movies. First up, Oliver Reed as Athos....

Holy shit.  LOVE these movies, and this is an amazing picture of Oliver Reed.  I can't wait to see what you do with the others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agentsands77 View Post

That is lovely.

Thank you!  I've been sorting through a few stacks of old art and sketches, been finding a few surprises.  I guess I didn't entirely suck "way back then".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judas Booth View Post

Holy shit.  LOVE these movies, and this is an amazing picture of Oliver Reed.  I can't wait to see what you do with the others.

I have to remember to grab my DVD of them when I head back to the house later today. Its nice to have the movies on if I'm painting up anything to do with them.  And thank you! Starting on Faye Dunaway today....

Will be adding these to my INPRNT shop, too!

I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years now and finally, today, I applied. Fingers crossed!

Iceland Residency Program 2017 - Light Grey Art Lab (application information)

oh man!

GOOD LUCK!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnooj82 View Post

oh man!

GOOD LUCK!

Yeah, what he said.

Quote:

This is awesome!

I've got good news and I've got bad news. The bad news is that I have lost my way. The good news is that I'm way ahead of schedule.

I love it when people who've bought prints of my work, send me photos of the work framed. I've received more, but dammit, I can't find them right now!

INPRNT is having a sale!

Free Shipping over at INPRNT with orders over $40. Use code: SHIPFREE40

https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/smugbug/

Original art posted today!

"Blue Pair" - $175, plus shipping (if applicable).

"Sheer Carrot Attack" and "Catnipped" - as a pair. $175, plus shipping (if applicable).

All:  Watercolor, gouache, color pencil on 9x12 140lb watercolor paper.

Prints available on INPRNT now: https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/smugbug/

On the side, started working on some Muhammad Ali sketches. Pencil, graphite and ink....

Quote:

On the side, started working on some Muhammad Ali sketches. Pencil, graphite and ink....

I was wondering if you were going to do an Ali tribute.  I can't wait to see it when it's done!

A sci fi piece I had done for my portfolio. I recently made some tweaks....

"Ancient Civilization"

*ETA: Also, Block 15 Brewery Co. (here in Corvallis) has released their "Gloria" beer. As usual, I did the art for the label. With art for cans, you can't go all crazy with colors/painting. Its less than 5 different colors and its very near vector art. Still fun and even more fun when the art is going to be attributed to a very fine product and "Gloria" is one of my favorite beers from Block 15.

AOh, sweet. Takes me back to old sci-fi paperback covers.

"ALI" print at INPRNT.  Pencil with digital.  Original pencil sketch will posted shortly.....

Tribute portrait of Anton Yelchin is now in the works....

Its pretty much being planned for me to come on down to LA around the second half of July. So...any Chewers in LA...a warning.