Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smugbug Art

Self-doubts and/or imposter syndrome will always be there, in the back of my head. I've accepted it.

Yeah, that's a fairly normal thing to feel for any creative person who isn't totally full of themselves!
APretty much. I don't think I've known an artist who hasn't felt that way now and then.

Totally! All the longtime pros that I've spoken with like Mike Mignola, Claire Wending, Todd Lockwood, Brom (and his wife), etc. - ALL HAVE IT (self-doubts).  The difference is how you go about dealing with it.

AHey! Did I miss tha big announcement you hinted at recently?
Quote:

Originally Posted by neil spurn View Post

Hey! Did I miss tha big announcement you hinted at recently?

Nope. Hasn't been made yet. Just waiting.......

It was just announced.

MY ART IS GOING TO BE ON THE COVER OF HEAVY METAL MAGAZINE.

BOOM.  So FRICKING HAPPY.

Announced on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MyHeavyMetal/?pnref=story

AFuckin' A, smug.

Now, its one of the winners of the HEAVY METAL DESIGN CHALLENGE. Not sure if it'll be a cover, my assumption is that it would be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post

Fuckin' A, smug.

You're fuckin' A right!

I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

AHoly shit! Fantastic!!!

I have so much work to do and complete today on top of having to go to the gym. But...can't concentrate since I'm still crying from joy.

Heavy Metal is also going to print a bit about me and what inspired me to come up with the piece. HOLY SHIT.

Detail of a piece I "sort of" completed several months ago. By "sort of" I've been tweaking it here and there since. There's a story on this one, but I don't have the time to go into it right now. I can post about it now, though - so I'll start with this wee detail.

Imagine if they could re-make Flash Gordon, and smugbug was a conceptual artist on the production.  That would be a kick ass movie.

A[quote name="Jmurdoch" url="/community/t/153553/smugbug-art/100#post_4105304"]Imagine if they could re-make Flash Gordon, and smugbug was a conceptual artist on the production.  That would be a kick ass movie.[/quote]
That would indeed be rad as fuck. But I fear that now that someone has said the words "remake Flash Gordon" we're going to wind up with some monstrosity with Fallout Boy doing the soundtrack...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmurdoch View Post

Imagine if they could re-make Flash Gordon, and smugbug was a conceptual artist on the production.  That would be a kick ass movie.

OMG. THANK YOU. That is freaking high praise!

Quote:

That would indeed be rad as fuck. But I fear that now that someone has said the words "remake Flash Gordon" we're going to wind up with some monstrosity with Fallout Boy doing the soundtrack...

Guess what? There's no need to even DO a remake. I'll just do what I think a new Flash Gordon movie should look like. Just do my own series of concepts. That's like, an amazing idea. Thanks, you guys!

AOmigodyes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by smugbug View Post

Studies are anywhere from 1-3 hours. Debbie Harry was under three.

That's amazing.

Myself and a few friends are putting together the nascent stages of a project (as in I don't/can't illustrate and by 'a few friends', people I drag along in my wake). It wouldn't hurt to have someone insanely talented like you onboard if you're interested (do you commission?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan View Post

That's amazing.

Myself and a few friends are putting together the nascent stages of a project (as in I don't/can't illustrate and by 'a few friends', people I drag along in my wake). It wouldn't hurt to have someone insanely talented like you onboard if you're interested (do you commission?).

Hey! Thank you for asking me! I'm always interested in new projects; especially if they fall into my line of scifi/fantasy/horror.  I do indeed do commissions.

Quote:

Hey! Thank you for asking me! I'm always interested in new projects; especially if they fall into my line of scifi/fantasy/horror.  I do indeed do commissions.

Your work is amazing, how could I not at least ask the question? Being accepted for a cover of Heavy Metal, even someone who knows virtually nothing about the whole business knows what Heavy Metal is and how it's a huge deal. So to join everyone else, major, major congratulations. Dropped you a PM about all of this.

Quickie digi sketch...."Bad Hair Day"

I would like that hair...

This...

Is now, officially, available as this:

You can get it here:

THREADLESS.COM | AFTERNOON COFFEE | TSHIRT

(I receive % of the sales, folks - so, thank you in advance when/if you purchase a shirt [or two...threee])

I think it might just be easier for me at the moment to just give you money directly if that's OK with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

I think it might just be easier for me at the moment to just give you money directly if that's OK with you.

Huh? Wha?

*ETA: I received your emails, btw! Just at the moment, bogged down with deadlines and having to answer a lot of messages - I will reply! Later today!

Quote:

Huh? Wha?

*ETA: I received your emails, btw! Just at the moment, bogged down with deadlines and having to answer a lot of messages - I will reply! Later today!

... as opposed to buying a T-Shirt. Also, I don't have any closet space right now.

(note to self: file under: Jokes that failed miserably)

For Block 15 Brewing Co.'s "Cosmic Cold Brew" label.

Gesture sketch of War Girls...

Detail number two of that piece that I can now show.

ASmug, you are on your way to being a Big Deal. I couldn't be happier.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning Slim View Post

Smug, you are on your way to being a Big Deal. I couldn't be happier.

Thank you so much!

Space Squad. If I were ever to commit, to words, this Space Squad story and needed cover art. This is the first cover concept. I've got a couple of other sketches in the works...

One of the friend requests I received today (or, yesterday now), was from Albert Pyun. The man responsible for The Sword and the Sorcerer. Of course, I accepted!

It got me to thinking about doing a fan poster of Sword and the Sorcerer. Another movie on my mind for that is Time After Time. Sketches have already been begun. Now, I need to find a way to get a copy of TSatS.

AWhen Albert "Cyborg" Pyun admires you....I'm honestly not sure if that means you need to stop and re-examine your life or celebrate everything that led you to this point, but...it's definitely something...?

Congrats Wink
Quote:

When Albert "Cyborg" Pyun admires you....I'm honestly not sure if that means you need to stop and re-examine your life or celebrate everything that led you to this point, but...it's definitely something...?

Congrats

Hahahah, I know, right?  Looking over his profile, the man has been busy! Thanks, I know a couple of other film makers,I think its all part of the nature of this industry. We're all visually inspired; therefore, have a very common interest.